Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi,

in my early stages of acne, my dermatologist gave me a clindoxyl gel which is 5% BP and 2% something else. Anyways, that made my skin BAD. It made it so dry and red that i could hardly open my mouth. The skin was just sooooooooo tight and dry. Then she gave me medrol which i beleieve is a sulfur agent or sometthing like that. Well i've been using that for months now and i've noticed improvement, but not what i was expecting. So then i tried out proactiv which is 2.5% BP (i think) and that didn't do squat except help these little bumps grow all over my face. So now i'm afraid to put ANY form of BP on my face because of 2 past failed attempts with BP.

To this day i don't really have acne, but i do have a very uneven looking skin complexture. Redness here, redness there, little bumps here, little bumps there and as well it doesn't really feel like skin. It feels like there is a layer of something on top of my skin.

I've read so many good things about BP but i cannot use it, and my medrol cream isn't cutting it for me. I read 1 regimen about a guy using clean and clear products, one that was a salycic acid and the other was a BP at 10% :o i'm tempted to try it because i can go and pick it up in 2 seconds, and if i want a product from my doctor i have to wait like a month because they're backed up.

So, any good substitutes for BP??????

i heard that hyrdogen peroxide works better than bp, but idk if it more drying or nething b/c ive never tried it. gl! smile.gif

i heard that hyrdogen peroxide works better than bp, but idk if it more drying or nething b/c ive never tried it. gl! smile.gif

I know how u feel Derk <_< . I have extremely sensitive skin and i tried using panoxyl 2.5 benzoyl peroxide on my face as part of dans regeime. It completely dried out my skin, made it look like i had sunburn and made my face feel so tight, it felt like i had 50 botox injections. sad.gif .

Benzoyl peroxide in my opinion is definetly not suitable for people with extra sensitive skin as the side effects can be unleashed 3 fold upon us.

I think most people tend to forget that Bp isn`t suitable for everyone. I Have only just stopped using Bp, and now im in the recovering process, my skin is flaking and peeling off like nobodies business. so once my skin goes back to normal. Im going to take the oral medication the doctor prescribed me, which he says helps fight the bacteria that causes my acne.

Im 21 years of age now, going on 22. And even though my acne may seem a mild case for a lot of observers. My skin is extremely unstable and i cannot keep it under controll. :unsure: .

Oh well, i really hope u find something that works for u Derk. Good luck!

Evolt is 100% right. Do NOT use Hydrogen Peroxide as a substitute for BP. It causes free radical cell damage and can seriously harm your skin in the long run. Stay away!

if you don't have active acne, i wouldn't bother with benzoyl peroxide anyway (it's an antibacterial agent and not meant to solve what you're listing as your problems). Uneven skin tone and small bumps (pilaris..something) is better helped by salicylic acid and AHA's. Try Neutrogena multivitamin acne treatment or Paula's choice BHA lotions (these are the two gentlest ones I can think of - many other salicylic acid treatments contain alcohol and are very drying). I also like Aqua glycolic's cleanser.

manuka oil... tee tree oil are some natural substitutes .. seach google for them and try to find the purest ones if your gonna order one

Manuka oil is supposively 30x more effective than tee tree and tee tree is supposivly as good as BP but slower acting

i dont know ive never tryed them

but i also dryed my face out extreemly when i first started... i couldent open my mouth or eat withou it hurting and cracking.. but now i use bp daily and im not even red