Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OmensAbound

Red Marks/Scars showing up while on Accutane

Hi all fellow acne sufferers,

I wanted to give everybody members and guests(yes I was a supreme lurker at one point :ninja: ) my perspective on my journey with acne and accutane so far.

Before I started accutane I was on clindimycin for about 6 or 7 months which had my entire face free of zits. I was looking like my old self again smooth skin with maybe one scar on my cheek from old acne and the everlasting blackheads, but that was it. Then I went on a camping trip for about a week without any topicals or soap. This was a big big mistake. By the end of the trip I looked into a mirror full of whiteheads and developing cysts. Quickly it became a very stressful time for me because of the acne. Once the acne ball started rolling it didn't want to stop. After about a month and half of battling some pretty bad acne with bp and the old clindamycin, I was losing and needed to see a derm again. When I saw my derm she recommended accutane. I was of course hesitant to take a such a risky drug so I opted for the 5% bp solution and antibiotics first. Well after about a month of that with the acne the same if not worse I decided to get a second opinion. The second doc also agreed with accutane for so I decided to take the plunge.

I have been taking 60mg a day of claravis for the past 3 months weigh 175lbs. Within a month all of my active acne went away leaving many red marks and scarring in some of the red marks. Basically all of my active acne is gone but the red marks have not gotten better since the beginning and have started to slighty indent in some areas. I am very concerned that this drug is affecting the way my body heals itself, causing my face to scar. Before treatment I would say I literally had one or two small scars, over a 8-9 year period of acne. Now I have about four bigger ones with about 7-10 smaller scars. I feel like the whole reason I signed up for accutane was to get better looking skin, this is really not the case right now. I mean I guess I could theoretically get better after the treatment, but it would be a vast improvement which I'm beginning to think is not likely. Based on the fact before accutane even the worst zit/cyst would only take at most a month to completely disappear with no trace.

The whole reason I posted was because I am thinking of getting off accutane to let my scars heal. I have been on it for three months and have no active acne. Even if ultimately I don't decide to get off it, I am almost certain I will lower my dose to 40mg a day. My skin looks like it is frozen in time. I realize not many post tane people come onto this site. However if there are, please let me know if you started to get scarring while accutane what happened with your face once you got off it. Right now I'm thinking the best thing for my face would be to let it heal naturally.

Thanks for reading such a long post and if anybody has any input it would be greatly appreciated. I know there are lots of posts about accutane and red marks/scars, believe me I have searched them all more times than one, but they all stop at the point of being on accutane and having red marks/scars. I've read countless times that the red marks go away after treatment, the question is why would that be? I'm thinking in my case it would be more prudent to stop accutane and stop scars from forming then to continue with this drug and have a face full of scars...I want to know what happens to them once your'e off the drug. Thanks again

Hi . when I was on tane i cleared up around my second month but my red marks did not. I have read a lot of posts with people talking about how their red marks got worse and took forever to fade. Your skin is very sensitive while on Tane so you scar easily (so don't pick no matter what and pamper your skin with lots of moisturizer). It happened to me and it seems like this is normal but I would recomend asking your derm to be sure. After I got off my tane ( I completed my course) the marks faded in 1-2 months. I know the red marks can be very frustrating and sometimes seem even worse than the active acne itself, but all I can say is hang in there, having clear skin is worth it in the end.

If you are not having any severe side affects like abnormalities when getting your blood drawn once a month, strong headaches or pains etc. I wouldn't stop my course because if u stop it before you are suppose to your acne might come back. Again my best advice is to be a little patient with the marks and talk to your derm about your concerns. Maybe he/she can prescribe something to help with the marks.

Best of luck . Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Blue Strawberry for the words of encouragement. You made some good points about the acne coming back if I stop and to speak to my derm. It just seems like I'm taking a huge gamble that these red marks/scars will all disappear when this is over. I think I would rather have active acne as long as it heals properly versus having acne that leaves a red mark and possibly deeper scar permanently. I don't want all the damage to be done while I'm on Accutane. I really wish I would've got as clear as possible before taking this drug.

Anybody else here on Accutane that has acne that doesn't heal properly since taking accutane?? Red Marks basically not fading at all?? My skin just looks really dull right now, uneven tone and marks everywhere. Is this common among anybody else? Because from what I've read others find their acne to either just go away leaving pristine skin, smooth and butter soft, with even skin tone or the acne has just continued as it's been until it eventually just stops and clears up.

Appreciate the feedback if you have any...

check out youtube and type in accutane. There are video blogs of people's journeys and they talk about the red marks.

Vitamin E helps.

There are also home remedies such as rupping raw potato slices on your red marks.

Talk to your derm is my best advice. But just like the other person said, dont give up.

Check out my blog

check out youtube and type in accutane. There are video blogs of people's journeys and they talk about the red marks.

Vitamin E helps.

There are also home remedies such as rupping raw potato slices on your red marks.

Talk to your derm is my best advice. But just like the other person said, dont give up.

Check out my blog

WOW! I'm 16 year old male. Im in the same position as you! I just ended my 4th month of 60mg accutane and no active acne anywhere expect 1 or 2 on my forehead. And its been like that since month 1 it cleared everything except i get the 1 or 2 on my forehead. I go to my derm this Thursday and she is thinking about taking my off it because overall i cleared really good its just these stupid red marks that are so depressing.

It would be really stupid top stop accutane because you are too impatient to wait for another month or two before you get off and wait for your skin to heal.

you are still going to have to wait for your marks to fade, its just a matter of now or later.

Its up to you and it is your body and your comfort level, so obv this is my opinion.

Wouldn't you feel bummed if your acne DID come back and all this happened because you freaked out?

man mine is like that too, i hate red marks. I'm not even on month 2 yet, and my face is basically smooth, just red marks.

This is exactly the case for me.

My skin is ridiculously smooth, however, my cheeks are covered with tonnes of red marks.

I'm nearly 2 months into my treatment.

My derm doesn't seem to care about my marks though?

Just wanted to update this post...

Red marks are still very visible along my jawline, cheeks, and temples. In some marks indentations are evident. Again I had maybe one or two scars on my face before I started this drug. Once I got on accutane my face stopped healing correctly. I am down to my last weeks worth of pills. I will update after I am off this drug to give info to people that have this exact reservation about accutane.

it's not the accutane, it's the left over marks and possibly scars from acne. Accutane or not, either way you would have had them once the active acne went away

I think that could partly be true. However never in my life have I had a red mark last 6 months. There has to be some truth to the reason doctors don't allow you to undergo surgery until six months after the course. And the explanation I've always found is that your body doesn't heal in the same manner.

Also another theory for indentations could be due to oil glands shrinking therefore taking away that space that was normally filled out with a gland....causing the skin to look caved in around that area.

Hmmm....I see what you are saying OmensAbound, and here's my take on it: You have been cleared by accutane and now you have scarring. Your scars/red marks will fade with time, but there won't be much improvement to them while accutane is still in your system (because as you rightly stated, accutane slows down the skins natural healing process). There really is no alternative but to wait it out. Yes, it sux, but does it suck more than acne? My point being, that if you had not gone on accutane and continued to have acne then you would have those scars and more. At some point you need to bite the bullet and address the acne (the cause of the scarring) and then address the scars. I believe you when you said that the red marks have lasted longer than they ever have before, because the same thing happened to me 10 years ago on my first accutane course. Up until last year (when the acne came back) I was completely red mark free!! They DO go away. As for the indents, I can't comment much as I only have one or two small pits on my chin which are only noticeable to me. Those were from cysts I had BEFORE I went on accutane, so I would still have them regardless :(

I hope it gets better for you soon!

Good points Matureacne...agree with you completely. The first step is controlling the acne then dealing with the scarring. Thanks for sharing your experience, it always helps to hear different viewpoints.

Edited by OmensAbound

Just wanted to give an update on my experience with accutane after 2 years of being off the drug. I know how helpful this forum was in making a decision to go on this drug.

So the short and dirty version is my skin is clear(knocks on wood.)

Complexion health of skin has deteriorated considerably. Blotchy/red marks still, and indentations.

As you can see from my above post, I was on this drug during a terrible bout of cystic acne. My skin was awful for about a 9 month stretch. Accutane nuked my skin completely, leaving behind scars.

The most important advice I can give is to get your face as clear as possible before taking this drug. I have full confidence that if my face only had the normal amount of acne that I had without the terrible breakout I was experiencing at the time my scars would not have developed.

If you cannot achieve getting somewhat clear, I would still advocate for this drug. I think it really works well. It basically kills all your oil glands. My skin is never greasy anymore. However I guess the downside is this ages the look of your skin as well. I used to have youthful looking skin, this is not the case. The tradeoff I guess is no acne, which in itself is actually pretty nice. <<<< wow that was some serious back and forth, but it's what people looking into this drug need to consider.

Vitamin E helps.

Check out my blog

This is actually a remedy that is very popular in China, alot of my foreign exchange friends from school (China, specifically) are always encouraging me to do this