Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amyelizabeth94

My derm told me to eat bananas with spiro!

Ugh, I just went to my second derm appt and I HATE him! He did give me spiro last time, but seems clueless. When I asked about testing my levels he said not to worry, just eat more bananas, really WTF!!! Now I go back in 3 weeks because he won't bump me to 100 yet...

I pay a 50 dollar co-pay every appt and I know more than him. I just don't have time to find a good derm.

Anyone get clear with only 50mg?

I'm so frustrated! After waiting an hour, I see him 5 minutes. What a waste!!!

Edited by amyelizabeth94

I'm on 50 mgs. and I am doing pretty well, but my acne is pretty mild to begin with. I am trying to keep my acne away after tane.

My hair oil has diminished and my skin oil is better. It was only oily in the T-zone, but is better now, although sometimes it gets a bit shiny sometimes -- i don't know why. I have only been on it for three weeks -- 11 days of that at 50 mgs., the other 10 on 25 mgs., so it may just be my hormones adjusting.

You really shouldn't eat bananas on it. It's ok to eat half a banana a day, or a whole banana here and there, but no. I think he may be confusing it with non-potassium sparing diuretics. Duh... he should know better.

You should really try to find a new derm or push hard to get a K+ test.

Thanks for the encouragement! I just want this acne gone! I'm so tired of obsessing. As for the bananas, talk about uninformed! He said spiro wasn't to K depleting, so just eat a few bananas and I'd be ok. After an hour wait I didn't have time to tell him spiro is K sparing. Ugh!

Ugh....I hate when a patient knows more than a Dr.

You'll get clear. :)

Oh....I drank a lot more water yesterday and my calf cramping went away. I may not have been hydrated enough. Maybe you can try to drink more water.

So, I definitely spoke to soon about wanting to increase my dose. Last night I had severe diarrhea until about 4:00 AM. (sorry to be so gross) I was drinking TONS of water, but it didn't help. Then I started feeling bad leg cramping, rapid heartbeat and shortness of breath. I think the last 2 symptoms were more anxiety related because I had to present in front of my CEO today.

Still, it turns out everything I ate yesterday has high Potassium: spinach, avocado, tomatoes, whole wheat pasta, almonds, cashews, canteloupe, and a Kashi microwave dinner. I was also drinking tea with dandelion and licorice.

Lesson learned. I feel much better today, but was SUPER scared last night. No more high K foods for me!

I don't mean to scare you, but all of those are signs of high K+.

I was hesitant to even post this since you said you feel better, but I just wanted you to be aware.

My guess is that we're both borderline high K+, which causes few, if any symptoms. I say this because we both only had calf cramping as a SE. You should be able to eat a lot of high K+ foods for only one day and be ok, which is why I think you may be borderline high. I'm guessing I am too, then. Of course, I am not a dr, but from what I've read, that's my hypothesis.

I don't think I can stay on this drug. It's way too anxiety producing. I was on accutane and I was never ever scared.

Edited by Anti - Em

Yep, I'll probably reduce to 25 mg today and see what happens. Such a bummer if I can't take this. If I don't feel better, I'll need to stop. How bad are your leg cramps? Mine are very subtle, but still...

Mine aren't too bad, either. I was holding out hope that the calf cramps were something else, but now that you ate a lot of potassium, and that happened, I am thinking the worst. I will get my lab results soon enough, so I will know for us, either way. I hope it comes back ok, so we can both relax. I still think you need to get tested, if only to ease your mind.

My leg cramps came back earlier today. I don't know why. I had some brownies yesterday and I also had some pizza. Pizza has tomato and I had white pizza also, which had spinach, but I mean; honestly, the slices were so small and there was hardly any spinach or sauce anyway.

A couple questions:

Are you taking the generic or brand name?

What was your diet like prior to starting spiro?

I am wondering if we both had super diets, which is why we have high potassium (potentially) and a lot of other people don't. Maybe most people are on the typical american diet and that's why there are so few problems with spiro. Most people don't eat a lot veggies and fruits, etc., in the US. So, maybe our K+ was just too high to begin with...just a thought.

I am super depressed and upset right now. I don't want to stop taking it. How come virtually everyone else can take 100-200 mgs. and I can't even take a lousy 50 mgs.? *Long sigh*

Edited by Anti - Em

Hmm, I did have a really great diet. Fish, chicken, eggs, spinach, tomatos, avocados, berries, brown rice, whole wheat in moderation, almonds, cashews, and lots of lemon water. Which is why watching K is so tough. I'm also taking vitamin A, Zinc, and Primrose Oil too (though not today because of last night). I actually think I was starting to get better before I started spiro, but still I really don't want to stop.

I agree that it's crazy some people can take such large doses and we can't without these side effects, grrrrr! I wonder if it has to do with weight? I weigh 100 lbs.

Some people experienced these side effects at first and then went away. Maybe that will be the case? Have you checked your blood pressure?

You had the EXACT diet as me! I knew it. It's hard for me to watch it too, but I'm doing it. Bagels (white or egg) are a life saver. You can have green beans, eggplant, peas, cauliflower, grapes,pasta, blueberries, american, mozzarella and provolone cheeses, chicken, meat -- but not smoked or salt cured meats, which I don't eat anyway....I'll try to think of more. I wrote down a list. Still, I really miss my green veggies. I love them. I seriously don't even know how to eat bad. I grew up on fruits, vegetables, fish, some meats, and pasta - lots of tomato.

I only weigh 105. Maybe that's a part of it too? I didn't think weight mattered.

Some people experienced these side effects at first and then went away. Maybe that will be the case? Have you checked your blood pressure?
Edited by Anti - Em

Thought I responded, but looks like it didn't work. Thanks for the diet advice. I just started eating like this in December, and was bummed to stop.

My blood pressure is normally low, but I haven't noticed it getting worse with spiro.

Also, did you get leg cramps with 25 mg?

I don't know. I mean I always wondered why they don't adjust doses for people. It seems odd that a 100 lb person would take the same dose as someone that 150 lbs.

I only took 25 mg last night... I'll keep you posted with how I feel.

yeah, I never heard weight being a factor, but maybe it is...I'll do some research and see if I can dig anything up.

You should feel better on the 25. Let me know.

I only took 25 yesterday, because I ended up getting cramps.

I called my derm office and my labs aren't back yet. They should've been, but they aren't.

Now I am worried, because my leg cramps are back. I didn't have the test while having the cramps, so i don't even know if I'll feel better if they're ok. I think when the MD calls me, I am going to tell him about the cramping and see what he thinks it is. I also want to get another test when I actually have the cramps to see if it is the K+ being high.

My tinnitus is back today. :wall: I think maybe the cheese steak had a lot of K+. I got the cramps back after eating it. I was fine for days prior to that.

Edited by Anti - Em

I got my results. My levels are within range. I spoke with the receptionist. I told her about my leg cramping and asked if the MD could call me.

I'll let you know what he says re: the leg cramping.

Edited by Anti - Em

I don't know. I mean I always wondered why they don't adjust doses for people. It seems odd that a 100 lb person would take the same dose as someone that 150 lbs.

Man, I hate tinnitus!

Wow, that's great news! Were you taking 25mg or 50mg when you were tested? I'm thinking 25mg because you said you didn't have the cramping then. I'm anxious to hear what the derm says. Oh, and no cramping today yet (probably because of the reduced dosage).

Tinnitus does not sound like any fun! Ugh!

Man, I hate tinnitus!

No, I'm not doing the spiro...I am now going down the natural path, and the guy was more helpful than anyone I have ever seen before. I had an iris exam and a live blood exam and I have got blood parasites and worms (I could see some worms in my blood and a white blood cell had caught one of them, it was fascinating but gross all at once), my adrenal glands have been pushed to the limit and my liver is under severe stress. I am suspected of having mercury poisoning, too. I am getting the tests done for that next time I go since the machine was not working last time. I am on some pretty powerful herbal potions now (licorice root, burdock etc) and stuff to kill the parasites. It is all tied in with the acne in my case.

I think I got tinnitus from noise damage, although some medications I have been on are known to cause tinnitus. When I am stressed it is MUCH louder, but I always have it.

Edited by jumpstart