Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMattchine

Going to start accutane soon, questions about dryness

I am a senior in high school and wonder how bad the dryness will be and what lotions or moisturizers to use. I will be starting a 5 month accutane program this Friday. I have pretty oily skin right now and I wonder about how often will i need to lotion my face and lips.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Dryness is dependent on many factors: dosage, genetics, temperature / humidity being a few I can think of right off the of my head.

Personally my face doesn't get that dry, but my lips do. I use chap stick probably every two hours or maybe more. I also shower in coconut oil which is good for dryness.

I am week 7 and have minimal dryness. I cleanse and moisturize in the morning and the evening. Lips are a different story. Those I moisturize constantly. I'm normally quite oily, but no more shine, so I am drier, but not flaky dry.

Are you cleaning your face now with a certain facial cleanser? What do you use? Soap? That's what most guys use... lol. I would first go buy a really gentle facial cleanser, like Cetaphil (from wal-mart) because it will cleanse and remove oil and dirt but not make your skin dry.

Then buy a FACIAL moisturizer you will use for the day time and the night time. For the day I would recommend something with SPF in it, since Accutane makes you skin sensitive to sunlight. Look at the Cetaphil line... BUT before I took Accutane, I used Cetaphil Moisturizer with SPF and it burnt the shit outta my skin (and my skin isn't even that sensitive). So maybe try oil of olay if you don't think that's gay. :)

Then buy a night time facial moisturizer. I LOVE Cetaphil moisturizing CREAM. You can use this as a regular body lotion too. I got an Accutane induced rash and the Cetaphil moisturizing creme made it go away.

Then get aquaphor or Dr. Dan's Cortibalm (like I've told you in my other post. Because I personally think that regular chapstick won't do.

Then buy a body lotion... I would get something made for sensitive skin like the orginal Eucerin lotion. Or lubriderm. I would put that on all over your body every time you get outta the shower.

Oh and I would buy some dove moisturizing body wash, because bar soap can dry out your skin.

Drink a lot of water.

And you should be set :)

But don't wait until your skin/lips start to get dry to do all this. I would try to start doing it right away! Especially since you're a senior in highschool and have to go to school everyday! Good luck!

drinks tons of water

and get carmex and or aquaphor for your lips. i reccomend getting a few chapsticks and having one in your school bag/car/locker wherever...because you wont want to be stuck without it!

my skin hasnt gotten too dry but my dose is low. i use cetaphil cleanser and neutrogena healthy skin lotion with spf 45. this is a reputable prodcut, it wont clog your pores and will protect your skin, sunscreen is important because you can damage your skin without getting an actual sunburn!

vaseline is a nice body lotion. any lotion with glycerin is good because it keeps holds the water in your skin. and you'll want a good hair conditioner to give your scalp and hair moisture.

good luck, just start taking the medication, be prepared and see how it goes, at a lower dosage your side effects should be pretty minimal.

I took Accutane two years ago and I still have really annoying dry skin and chapped lips... I have to use Cervave moisturizing cream and aquaphor every single day.

i am getting really dry on accutane. my favorite moisturizer for my body is Moisturel. my dermo recommended it (i had to ask at the pharmacy for it, its labeled at a theraputic lotion) but it is my favorite 100%.

I feel that the oily you are now the less you'll need to mosturizer throughout the process. I was a grease ball. Been on accutane for 2 weeks and still haven't dried out yet. Not my lips or face. If anything...I'm dry a bit when I get out the shower and then it goes away. 40mgs. Then again it's only been 2 weeks. Ain't no telling how I'll be in 2 months. Everyone is different though. Good Luck, bud

the 3 things I couldn't live w/o while on tane:

CeraVe moisturizing lotion. ( so good I still use it lol even though my skin isn't dry)

chapstick.

eye drops.