Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sadiee

It SUCKS being a girl sometimes lol. H-E-L-P

Getting off birth control has thrown my hormones out of wack & has caused me the worst break out I've ever had in my entire life. I was on Lutera BC from Feb. '06- June '08. After stopping BC- at one point my face was covered w/tons of cysts, my chest was broken out pretty bad, shoulders, a lil on the back of my neck & my back. It was awful. I noticed very mild hair loss, very oily skin, & very oily hair, as well. I ended up going to the dermatologist & b/c I thought I was going to get on Accutane, I got back on BCP- this time, Yaz. Well, it turns out he never prescribed me that so being on Yaz for 7 months was a waste. This time before stopping BC, I went back to the dermatogist & had him prescribe me Bactrim so I wouldn't have the same reaction I did before. That helped a lot, but not enough. Luckily my skin is mostly back under control thanks to Borage Oil + Letichin. It cleared up 95% of my skin. :clap: The only downside is when I stopped taking it for a few days my chest began to break out again (not bad but still it's a break out). I've attributed all these side effects from stopping BCP. I'm 22 years old 5'6" 115-120 lbs. I guess my question would be is what would be the best supplement to take for getting my hormones regulated again? I've read great things about Vitex, EPO, Borage Oil, & MSM. I heard MSM helps scars? I just want to take something that wouldn't cause me to break out once I decide to stop taking it. I don't want to be on supplements for the rest of my life. Any advice & tips or tricks for oily skin/hair would be great!! Thanks :D Best of luck to everyone!!

*It SUCKS being a girl sometimes lol....All the crap we have to go through w/our damn hormones. I HATE BCP- THEY NEED TO BE ABOLISHED!!! Or at least let girls know what can happen once you stop taking them.

Edited by sadiee

Getting off birth control has thrown my hormones out of wack & has caused me the worst break out I've ever had in my entire life. I was on Lutera BC from Feb. '06- June '08. After stopping BC- at one point my face was covered w/tons of cysts, my chest was broken out pretty bad, shoulders, a lil on the back of my neck & my back. It was awful. I noticed very mild hair loss, very oily skin, & very oily hair, as well. I ended up going to the dermatologist & b/c I thought I was going to get on Accutane, I got back on BCP- this time, Yaz. Well, it turns out he never prescribed me that so being on Yaz for 7 months was a waste. This time before stopping BC, I went back to the dermatogist & had him prescribe me Bactrim so I wouldn't have the same reaction I did before. That helped a lot, but not enough. Luckily my skin is mostly back under control thanks to Borage Oil + Letichin. It cleared up 95% of my skin. :clap: The only downside is when I stopped taking it for a few days my chest began to break out again (not bad but still it's a break out). I've attributed all these side effects from stopping BCP. I'm 22 years old 5'6" 115-120 lbs. I guess my question would be is what would be the best supplement to take for getting my hormones regulated again? I've read great things about Vitex, EPO, Borage Oil, & MSM. I heard MSM helps scars? I just want to take something that wouldn't cause me to break out once I decide to stop taking it. I don't want to be on supplements for the rest of my life. Any advice & tips or tricks for oily skin/hair would be great!! Thanks :D Best of luck to everyone!!

*It SUCKS being a girl sometimes lol....All the crap we have to go through w/our damn hormones. I HATE BCP- THEY NEED TO BE ABOLISHED!!! Or at least let girls know what can happen once you stop taking them.

Anything you take, acne will come back after stopping. Accutane is the only medicine close to what you're talking about. If it's a hormone problem, after completing accutane, your acne will surely come back. If there were some medicine of the type you desire, it would be all over the news, and inside my belly. Women do have hormone problems for most of their lives, and I'm not sure how to help that without medicine. Guys have hormone problems too. Actualy they have worse hormone problems than women will ever have at one point. This is called male puberty. Male puberty hormones don't F around. I'm a 20 year old male, and my acne sucks. You should look back into accutane...

Hi,

If you want to go down the natural route, then there are a few options:

- Vitex and Saw Palmetto regulate hormones and can be effective in dealing with your hormonal acne

- bovine colostrum is an excellent natural antibiotic which has had quite a lot of success (search it on these boards.

- 10grams of Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5) each day has had effects similar to accutane, but is completely non-toxic, even in large doses. Again people have had some success with this if you search the message boards and reviews. It can give you a funny tummy though!

- Vitamin B6 is a good anti inflammatory

- Vitamin A supplements in large doses can help (be careful with this though and don't do this if you are or could become pregnant). Natural Vitamin A (beta-carotene) that's in foods such as carrots is fine though.

- Zinc and fish oils can be beneficial.

Perhaps you could combine natural remedies with Dan's Regimen and/or topicals such as Duac, Skinoren etc.

If you want to deal with your hormonal acne in a 'prescription' way: you don't need to be on Birth Control to take Spironolactone. It's an androgen blocker (the hormone that contributes to hormonal acne in women). The only thing that can happen though, is that if you don't take it with birth control, it can mess up your periods. You cannot take it if you are or want to become pregnant.

Sometimes, when women come off the combined pill, they shed some of their hair (due to fall in estrogen levels), which may explain your mild hair loss. Please don't worry about this, it will regulate itself soon.

I find that dry shampoo is a life saver for oily hair. If you just spray some into oily areas and brush it into your hair, it absorbs the oil and keeps your hair looking fresh.

I totally get your point about hormones, it seems so unfair!

Good luck with things and I hope my advice helps you.

Little Sarah :)

Hi,

If you want to go down the natural route, then there are a few options:

- Vitex and Saw Palmetto regulate hormones and can be effective in dealing with your hormonal acne

- bovine colostrum is an excellent natural antibiotic which has had quite a lot of success (search it on these boards.

- 10grams of Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5) each day has had effects similar to accutane, but is completely non-toxic, even in large doses. Again people have had some success with this if you search the message boards and reviews. It can give you a funny tummy though!

- Vitamin B6 is a good anti inflammatory

- Vitamin A supplements in large doses can help (be careful with this though and don't do this if you are or could become pregnant). Natural Vitamin A (beta-carotene) that's in foods such as carrots is fine though.

- Zinc and fish oils can be beneficial.

Perhaps you could combine natural remedies with Dan's Regimen and/or topicals such as Duac, Skinoren etc.

If you want to deal with your hormonal acne in a 'prescription' way: you don't need to be on Birth Control to take Spironolactone. It's an androgen blocker (the hormone that contributes to hormonal acne in women). The only thing that can happen though, is that if you don't take it with birth control, it can mess up your periods. You cannot take it if you are or want to become pregnant.

Sometimes, when women come off the combined pill, they shed some of their hair (due to fall in estrogen levels), which may explain your mild hair loss. Please don't worry about this, it will regulate itself soon.

I find that dry shampoo is a life saver for oily hair. If you just spray some into oily areas and brush it into your hair, it absorbs the oil and keeps your hair looking fresh.

I totally get your point about hormones, it seems so unfair!

Good luck with things and I hope my advice helps you.

Little Sarah :)

THANK U FOR ALL THE ADVICE :D i will look into some of those things