Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay326

How is it possible...

That my skin is worse now that I'm eating healthy? A few months ago I was eating a typical American diet...lots of fast food, chips, lots of pop, etc. This caused me to break out some but I did not have severe acne. After signing up here, I've been all about trying to fix my acne through diet. For the last 1-2 months I've been eating way more healthier, I no longer drink pop (I drink water all day everyday), rarely have chips or fast food. I have taken out alot of my dairy intake. So why is it now that my face is noteably worse? :[

Hey, exactly a year ago, I started eating a lot healthier as well. I basically ate mostly vegetables, and cut all gluten and grains out. My acne was basically like it is now, and as I did what I thought was really healthy for my body, I started getting large cysts and then I had severe acne for months. After that, I did a colon cleanse because I realized that I had been quite constipated from my new "healthy" diet. I started eating grains very high in fiber, and my skin was a lot more stable.

Are you getting enough bowel movements?

I am sure there must be something to this.. I wish I could understand it.

Consider what you are eating more of now that you eat less crap. Perhaps you have an intolerance for something.

And Fast food is not the only source of crap in our diet. Lots of ordinary, home cooked meals are nutritionally void, high GI, sources of bad fat, etc. What are you eating?

One to two months isn't necessarily long enough. Especially considering you may not be following a clean diet.

Also, you just recently posted that you've noticed when you eat a lot of calories you break out.

I know what you're going through.

Same diet that you had before. I didn't have THAT bad acne, but I still wanted to get rid of it.

Couple weeks of meats, fruits, veggies, and I'm getting acne places I never get. Although to be honest, in the beginning my skin did clear very well. And as a user above said, it could actually be the colon. I know lately I haven't been going once or twice a day like I originally did.

So I'm going to add more fiber into my diet to see if that will help any.

@Mr. Crab - well being "regular" has always been an issue for me, ever since I was little. I had it under control for awhile but now the problem has come back and I'm not really sure why. I probably only go 1-2 times per week (this only because I take a fiber supplement to help). Before taking a fiber supplement I have gone weeks without using the bathroom. The concept of a colon cleanse interests me, but everytime I bring it up to my mom she said I would never want to do it. So if you could explain what a colon cleanse really is and how it works, that'd be cool.

@alternativista - my diet mainly consists of meat. Lately I've been eating mainly chicken and turkey sandwiches. Sometimes vegetables like corn and broccoli. And yeah as I posted before, I think me overeating might have caused my face to break out worse, starting yesterday I have stopped overeating and now I just eat at dinner time. Hopefully I'll see some results from that.

@UK J - our problem seems very similiar then! As I said above, I'll probably look into a colon cleanse, I'm sure I need it. I definitely think you should add more fiber, even as a supplement. For me it hasn't made me regular but it has helped.

Well I know my diet isn't 100% healthy, that isn't the point of the thread though. I'm just confused how my skin seemed to be better while I was taking in a high amount of sugar and other bad foods compared to now where I am taking in little sugar and way less bad food.

That my skin is worse now that I'm eating healthy? A few months ago I was eating a typical American diet...lots of fast food, chips, lots of pop, etc. This caused me to break out some but I did not have severe acne. After signing up here, I've been all about trying to fix my acne through diet. For the last 1-2 months I've been eating way more healthier, I no longer drink pop (I drink water all day everyday), rarely have chips or fast food. I have taken out alot of my dairy intake. So why is it now that my face is noteably worse? :[

That's funny that you post this today because I was gonna send you a PM after I read that you ate a whole jar of ice cream a few days ago and be like WTF are you doing.

No offense bro, but I think you cheat A LOT and that's why your breaking out. Off the top of my head I can think of 3-4 posts in the past month where you mention you ate really bad.

You gotta be more dedicated in my opinion. Eating healthy half the time won't cut it bro.

PANIC

I agree. I cheat sometimes but I don't think it's the end of the world. I've actually been reading into the paleo diet alot lately and I will start it on March 1st, 100% strict. I hope it works.

I had a pretty healthy diet to begin with -- no sodas ever, a lot of veggies, homemade foods, no processed stuff, but I tried to eat even healthier to get rid of my acne and that is when I started to get worse acne, my hair started to fall out on my head, the hair on my body started to grow in thicker and I got endometriosis. The diet did something to aggravate my hormones. I think since I cutr out carbs, it made my testosterone increase and lowered my estrogen. But then, my test was high, and that was converted to estrogen and thus endo. I don't think diet does anything for acne. I tried it a million times.

I know people are going to go nuts and tell me I'm wrong, but that was my experience and it's what i believe happened.

Screw it. I am on spiro now.

Being able to go only once or twice a week is horrible. I encourage you to really consider a colon cleanse, but an oxygen based one like Oxy Powder (which is what I used to get rid of my severe acne). Don't let your mother tell you what you want to do. A colon cleanse will just "cleanse" your colon for around a week (depending on how long you choose to take it), which will just make you go to the bathroom a lot. If you're in school or have a job, maybe wait for a holiday to take this, just so you have comfortable access to the bathroom when needed. A colon cleanse program will usually take around a week and make you go to the bathroom at least 2 to 3 times a day. There are different kinds of cleanses, but like I said, I strongly suggest an oxygen based cleanser. The oxygen actually allows for real cleansing of the colon take place. I would stay on it for at least a week, and you can try to follow the advanced cleanse instructions.

Search for Oxy Powder, the guys are Global Healing Center make great products and do some searching around for what you may want to do. They also made youtube videos for questions concerning their products.

You may want to take a lot of probiotics after the cleanse. Good luck man.

@Anti - Em - nooo don't say that, lol! I am putting all my eggs in the diet basket. If the paleo diet doesn't work for me, I don't know what will. I've tried the anti candida diet as well. At least the logic behind the paleo diet makes alot of sense to me.

@Mr. Crab - I don't work or go to school, because of the way I feel about myself, so that's not a problem. I was out shopping today with her and I told her I wanted to get a colon cleanse. She accepted the fact but she went on to tell me about her own experiences with colon cleanses...how awful it tastes and how it's just a horrible experience altogether. So that just kind of put me off. If you tell me the taste isn't TOO horrible I'll probably go for it, I really think I need it.

@Anti - Em - nooo don't say that, lol! I am putting all my eggs in the diet basket. If the paleo diet doesn't work for me, I don't know what will. I've tried the anti candida diet as well. At least the logic behind the paleo diet makes alot of sense to me.

@Mr. Crab - I don't work or go to school, because of the way I feel about myself, so that's not a problem. I was out shopping today with her and I told her I wanted to get a colon cleanse. She accepted the fact but she went on to tell me about her own experiences with colon cleanses...how awful it tastes and how it's just a horrible experience altogether. So that just kind of put me off. If you tell me the taste isn't TOO horrible I'll probably go for it, I really think I need it.

Well, maybe it will work for you... Since you're a guy, at least you won't need surgery to scrape off your uterine wall if it doesn't work out. :boohoo:

As I said before, I am mostly eating some sort of meat sandwiches for dinner. I just read an interesting article directly linking bread to acne! I'm like noooooo shit! So maybe this is one of my biggest problems seeing as I have been eating alot of bread lately.

Awwww Anti, I'm really sorry to hear that :[

Here's what I do and it has completely nullified all of my inflamed acne. I still get white/blackheads on my forehead and temples but nothing too crazy.

I exercise M,T,T and F. I lift some weights rather lightly and run about a mile and a half. I'm loving it.

I take Vitamin A, D, Fish Oil, Niacin and Zinc. IMO these are acne fighting essentials.

I take 200mg of Doxycycline a day (I don't like this part of the reg)

Now, I eat a lot of vegetables, a lot of berries, lean meats (mostly chicken), brown rice/pasta. I almost never eat sugar but I kind of love dark chocolate. In the morning, I have eggs. I also only drink water. This diet actually isn't strict to me b/c I love eating all of this stuff.

Aside from my moderate acne subsiding to mild, I've become nothing short of ripped in the process. I dropped 20 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle and can run a mile in 6:30 which I haven't been able to do in about five years. Yeah, yay me.

I can think of a couple big things you're doing wrong.

1. Meat. Yes, meat. It's good and we need the protein, but to have a diet consist mostly of meat isn't great. That's WAY too much and what's worse is that you're eating it on BREAD. If you can tolerate some sort of sugar free whole grain bread or even sprouted bread like Ezekiel, then it might be okay every now and then, but eating lots of meat based sandwiches really isn't doing you a favor. I can recall an episode of King of the Hill where Hank was constipated and his doctor recommended more veggies and things because he ate too much meat. It has very little (if any) fiber and can cause constipation - not good for body OR skin.

2. Cheating. Sneaking some no-no foods in DOES hurt. Don't eat a tub of ice cream knowing you have an intolerance to dairy and then expect to be clear for the next week - or even just a little. If you want to cheat, be prepared for the consequences, especially if you cheat on a regular basis. Want to have clear skin? Then stop.

3. Fruits and veggies. Where are they? Corn is not a vegetable. It's a grain - and a starchy sugary one at that. What about greens? Where are they? All I see is meat and bread. Your body needs nutrients to support itself - which includes skin health. Without fruits and veggies, you're missing TONS of important vitamins, minerals and fiber.

4. Bread. Things like gluten and grains in general, can cause breakouts for some. Cut it out complete to see if it helps.

My suggestions:

Put down the sandwich and go make yourself a salad - and not a chicken one (unless you've got tons of veggies piled on there). Eat a giant bowl of spinach topped with cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, olives...whatever veggies (or fruits) you like. Drizzle some lemon juice or olive oil for dressing - or even better, make your own concoction with yummy things like olive oil, lemon juice, ACV, garlic, onion...whatever suites your tastes.

Eat them RAW. Cooked foods lose nutrients - though some veggies have nutrients that can be released via cooking. Variety is best - but try eating a bunch of raw stuff.

Stop eating processed foods which means NO lunch meats or breads. If you must have a "grain" eat quinoa or buckwheat, which are actually seeds, not grains.

Green Smoothies - you'll get the benefits of fruit AND greens, which are more easily digestible because the blender sort of "pre digests" them. Can't handle fruit? Try a blended salad, instead.

Need to satisfy your sweet tooth? Make avocado pudding. Just blend a ripe avocado, a banana (optional) some unsweetened almond milk, raw cocoa powder and some stevia. You'd be surprised how satisfying it is.

If you can tolerate fruits, then eat an apple instead of junk food. For dinner, have some grilled or backed chicken/turkey with some steamed (or raw) veggies.

Friend, if you're diet is mostly meat and sandwiches, it's far from healthy.

I had a pretty healthy diet to begin with -- no sodas ever, a lot of veggies, homemade foods, no processed stuff, but I tried to eat even healthier to get rid of my acne and that is when I started to get worse acne, my hair started to fall out on my head, the hair on my body started to grow in thicker and I got endometriosis. The diet did something to aggravate my hormones. I think since I cutr out carbs, it made my testosterone increase and lowered my estrogen. But then, my test was high, and that was converted to estrogen and thus endo. I don't think diet does anything for acne. I tried it a million times.

I know people are going to go nuts and tell me I'm wrong, but that was my experience and it's what i believe happened.

Screw it. I am on spiro now.

You mean diet didn't do anything for YOUR acne. It certainly has done wonders for others. Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean diet does nothing for acne in others.

Can you be certain you aren't just suffering from PCOS and began noticing symptoms primarily around the time you switched your diet? Hair loss, high testosterone, endometriosis

I have a difficult time believing that a non-processed healthy diet high in veggies would INCREASE testosterone considering it's often recommended for people suffering from things like hair loss and excess body hair?? I'm going to have to do more research on that.

@SameSongAndDance - honestly I would love to be able to take supplements like that to help but I can't. I just have a huge problem being able to swallow pills, never been able to and probably never will. I should probably incorporate some more exercise into my day though.

@gMARIAs - well a huge problem for me is I'm extremely picky. That's why there is not alot of variety in my diet. I do eat my fair share of fruits, I like most of them. Vegetables are a big problem for me, didn't realize corn wasn't one, sorry. I mainly just like broccoli then, which I have a few times a month with gravy (is gravy bad?). I don't really know what to do about my problem of not liking many foods. I guess I could just "tough it out" and eat food that I don't like but that is the kind of thing that throws off the diets and makes me go back to old habits.

@SameSongAndDance - honestly I would love to be able to take supplements like that to help but I can't. I just have a huge problem being able to swallow pills, never been able to and probably never will. I should probably incorporate some more exercise into my day though.

@gMARIAs - well a huge problem for me is I'm extremely picky. That's why there is not alot of variety in my diet. I do eat my fair share of fruits, I like most of them. Vegetables are a big problem for me, didn't realize corn wasn't one, sorry. I mainly just like broccoli then, which I have a few times a month with gravy (is gravy bad?). I don't really know what to do about my problem of not liking many foods. I guess I could just "tough it out" and eat food that I don't like but that is the kind of thing that throws off the diets and makes me go back to old habits.

A few times a month? That's it? And yeah, most gravy is bad. What veggies have you tried? Do you like salsa? My new addiction is eating a heaping 4-5 cups of spinach leaves topped with salsa. I thought I saw you in ABGs green smoothie topic - maybe I was wrong. It's an incredibly easy way to at least get greens into your diet, especially if you enjoy fruit.

You can also make veggies a lot tastier by making concoctions. Tonight, for example, I chopped up a red pepper and mixed it in with some tuna seasoned with sea salt, ground pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. The taste of the peppers were much more subtle - though I enjoy them enough to eat them raw. Do you like avocados? At one point, I processed some spinach and mixed with with avocado to get my greens in. Try making a dressing with olive oil and other ingredients to make a dipping sauce to make your veggies taste better - this is how I eat my cucumbers.

if you really cannot find a way to enjoy your vegetables, then you may really just have to tough it out. You may grow fonder of their tastes with time.

Willpower. It's difficult to obtain, but when practiced, it will take your further than you ever imagined possible.

Edited by gMARIAs

Nope, don't like salsa or avocados. Yeah, I was in ABG's topic, though I never tried green smoothies. I had bought a juicer awhile ago and was using it but since returned it. I guess I'm just going to have to eat things I don't like, hah.

Nope, don't like salsa or avocados. Yeah, I was in ABG's topic, though I never tried green smoothies. I had bought a juicer awhile ago and was using it but since returned it. I guess I'm just going to have to eat things I don't like, hah.

Don't like salsa or avocados? BLASPHEMY!! (i kid, i kid)

But seriously, you may be able to get more nutrients into your diet with green smoothies, at least. And if you like broccoli - eat it raw and eat it regularly. If it's the only veggie you'll eat, eat it daily.

You could always try chopping up your chicken or whatever and mixing in some processed veggies (by processed, I mean finely chopped in a food processor) and maybe the flavor of the meat will overpower the veggie taste.

other than that, you may just have to get used to it because vegetables are too important to exclude (which is probably why you're constipated?)

Yep I agree. The thing with the broccoli though is not that I LIKE it, but I like it with the gravy. So if I had to eat it without....I would probably not enjoy it so much lol. Could I not just eat alot of lettuce instead?