Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss determined

I have Candida, what do I do?

Ohkay, so I just found out I have Candida.. which SUCKS because I absolutely love fruits and that's mainly what I eat for breakfast. I might cry. :confused: What kinda of diet should I follow? Should I take any kind of supplements for this? I also have to follow a no dairy, wheat, gluten, soy diet. Which again I have no idea how. If anyone could help me I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I feel like my minds gonna explode from trying to cram everything I need to do into my head.

Actually, it's really simple. :)

Just eat meat and veggies. All meats should be fine (as well as eggs) as long as you cook it yourself, and veggies to avoid are potatoes and corn.

This is how I eat (along with some dairy, and the occasional fruit) and I love it, it's been a fun adventure discovering so many new ways to cook and combine things. You can add any (natural) herbs and spices you like too.

Edited by uncle buck

By "I just found out I have Candida" do you mean that you were diagnosed by a test or a naturopathic doctor, or that you self-diagnosed by reading things on the internet?

Yeah, this could be risky. You have to be sure!

There are potential side effects to an anti-candida diet, including an abundance of energy, improved digestion, elimination of food cravings, better sleep, elimination of muscle cramps, better mood, balanced hormones. All have been reported within WEEKS of starting!

This is the best you can do:

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/candida/index.php

uncle buck, I tried going into this diet. I was previously in paleo, then changed to anti-candida (basically the same without fruits). I did it for 1.5 months. After that I was exhausted, not at all how you describe it. My main problem was with sports, the regimen really sucks for sports since it has no fruits/carbs. I though it was my body getting used to it, but after 1.5 months my sports performance was like crap. I went back to paleo.

Really? Strange. I exercise with no carbs with no problems. I guess everyone is different. The low energy only lasted 3 days for me.

Really? Strange. I exercise with no carbs with no problems. I guess everyone is different. The low energy only lasted 3 days for me.

How do you exercise? Do you do mostly aerobic or anaerobic? I concentrate mostly in anaerobic (sprinting, lifting, etc) and having no carbs definitely sucks for me. I am glad it worked for you though.

Edited by venam

Yeah, this could be risky. You have to be sure!

There are potential side effects to an anti-candida diet, including an abundance of energy, improved digestion, elimination of food cravings, better sleep, elimination of muscle cramps, better mood, balanced hormones. All have been reported within WEEKS of starting!

I just think that this whole "candida" business is a bit overblown on this forum, and that it's unnecessary for people to start eating a radically different diet and popping anti-fungal supplements because they have some vague symptoms and their spit floats funny in a glass of water. The diet might do wonderful things for you, but for some it will do more harm than good.

okay can someone please explain candida to me. what is it? how do you get it? what can it do to you? and why do you need to avoid fruits? thanks:)

Edited by marti783

okay can someone please explain candida to me. what is it? how do you get it? what can it do to you? and why do you need to avoid fruits? thanks:)

Congratulations! You have just opened Pandora's Box !

I do runs every few days, one light 10-15 minutes jog then sprints. No lifting.

Yeah, you are doing mostly aerobic, that's why you don't have problems with lack of carbs. Fats can power aerobics without a problem. If you are doing anaerobic exercises your muscles' glycogen storage will deplete really fast, carbs are the best way to replenish glycogen storage. There is a process by which protein can be transformed into glycogen by the liver but it is rather slow.

I guess some people can get used to doing anaerobic exercises in a very low carb diet but after 1.5 months it didn't work for me. I added some fruits back and all was well.

Yeah, you are doing mostly aerobic, that's why you don't have problems with lack of carbs. Fats can power aerobics without a problem. If you are doing anaerobic exercises your muscles' glycogen storage will deplete really fast, carbs are the best way to replenish glycogen storage. There is a process by which protein can be transformed into glycogen by the liver but it is rather slow.

I guess some people can get used to doing anaerobic exercises in a very low carb diet but after 1.5 months it didn't work for me. I added some fruits back and all was well.

Especially if you are trying to build muscle.

I lost a lot of weight trying this anti candida joint. people be commenting how skinny i am. it sucks I introduced brown rice or some glutenfree rice into it

Read these:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/

There is a certain low-level aerobic exertion that provides extreme health benefits:

"For very fit people, this could be as high as 70-80% of your maximum heart rate, but we’re really talking 60-70% for most people. The benefits of exercising at this zone are numerous and the risks minimal. It’s the ideal level of activity for decreasing body fat, increasing the capillary network, and for lowering blood pressure and reducing risk for degenerative diseases, including heart disease." (Quoted from that link)

Also, sprinting and quick high-intensity stuff does amazing things:

"High-intensity intermittent training actually improves both anaerobic (intensity and muscle building) and aerobic (slower, oxygen consuming) body systems, while aerobic exercise only improves aerobic systems. "

The problem is what's between, those long-term sustained aerobics that plow through glycogen and that

"- requires large amounts of dietary carbohydrates (SUGAR)

- decreases efficient fat metabolism

- increases stress hormone cortisol

- increases systemic inflammation

- increases oxidative damage (free radical production)"

See also: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

A really good indication of having candida includes:

1) White coated tongue

2) Headaches

3) A general lack of energy

4) Bad skin

5) Other yeast infections elsewhere in the body such as oral or vaginal thrush

6) General ill health and predisopsition to infections

One of the best and easiest ways to get rid of it (and what I did with 100% success) includes:

1) Lots of probiotics - live yogurt pref homemade, or keifr is also very good with even more beneficial bacteria than yoghurt...bit of an aquired taste though

2) Cut sugar out of diet completely

3) Take Formula SF722 by Thorne Research (available online) before every meal - it is really effective, if a little on the pricey side, but totally worth it in my opinion:

"FORMULA SF722 is a safe and effective supplement for the normalization of the microbial ecology of the intestines in mild to moderate cases of candida infection. We find it particularly useful because of its gentle action which in most cases does not provoke strong yeast die-off reactions. The active principle in this product, 10 Undecenoic acid, derived from castor bean oil is non-toxic and markedly more potent as a yeast fighter than caprylic acid and many of the other commonly available plant derived anti-candida agents."...blurb from a website promoting SF722.

No need to cut out carbs or go on drastic diets with this, just common sense should prevail with more whole foods and less refined carbs, in particular breads (esp bread that is of the nutritionally devoid variety aka white bread), pastries and pasta which are all candida fodder. If the above protocol is followed, you should be candida free in a couple of months.

Edited by rifkah6

Well I'm awaiting my test in the post. I have to send off a stool sample, not sure about anything else cos I'm being tested for a few things.

I really urge people to get a proper test done at a lab, in order to get an accurate diagnosis. The symptoms are many and varied, so you shouldn't just assume you have candida and then totally change your diet. The symptoms could be something else and you could be just wasting your time.

I actually hope I have it, then I'll have found the root cause after all this time and suffering, and I can then go on to treat it accordingly. I'm just so fed up with not knowing what's wrong with me, all I want is a diagnosis so I know wot I'm up against.

At present, my skin is just getting worse. Big red lumps that just sit there, not forming a head so I can squeeze them, and not going down either. They just won't budge! None of my colleagues or people I know who're older have bad skin like me ( I'm 33yrs ). It's getting harder to cover up cos of the bumps and I feel like crying tbh!! :boohoo:

Read these:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/

There is a certain low-level aerobic exertion that provides extreme health benefits:

"For very fit people, this could be as high as 70-80% of your maximum heart rate, but we’re really talking 60-70% for most people. The benefits of exercising at this zone are numerous and the risks minimal. It’s the ideal level of activity for decreasing body fat, increasing the capillary network, and for lowering blood pressure and reducing risk for degenerative diseases, including heart disease." (Quoted from that link)

Also, sprinting and quick high-intensity stuff does amazing things:

"High-intensity intermittent training actually improves both anaerobic (intensity and muscle building) and aerobic (slower, oxygen consuming) body systems, while aerobic exercise only improves aerobic systems. "

The problem is what's between, those long-term sustained aerobics that plow through glycogen and that

"- requires large amounts of dietary carbohydrates (SUGAR)

- decreases efficient fat metabolism

- increases stress hormone cortisol

- increases systemic inflammation

- increases oxidative damage (free radical production)"

See also: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

I think you are not getting me. I am NOT performing chronic cardio or anything similar to that but exactly the opposite. Sprinting, lifting, racquetball, etc. Glycogen storage is best depleted by explosive moves, that's the reason I felt like crap when doing these in an anti-candida diet without carbs.

I had a long convo with the lab guys about candida and how to diagnose it. Basically they told me that there is no certain way of identifying it. They took some urine and blood samples but nothing out of the ordinary came up. I wasted a year on that diet.

Well I'm awaiting my test in the post. I have to send off a stool sample, not sure about anything else cos I'm being tested for a few things.

I really urge people to get a proper test done at a lab, in order to get an accurate diagnosis. The symptoms are many and varied, so you shouldn't just assume you have candida and then totally change your diet. The symptoms could be something else and you could be just wasting your time.

I actually hope I have it, then I'll have found the root cause after all this time and suffering, and I can then go on to treat it accordingly. I'm just so fed up with not knowing what's wrong with me, all I want is a diagnosis so I know wot I'm up against.

At present, my skin is just getting worse. Big red lumps that just sit there, not forming a head so I can squeeze them, and not going down either. They just won't budge! None of my colleagues or people I know who're older have bad skin like me ( I'm 33yrs ). It's getting harder to cover up cos of the bumps and I feel like crying tbh!! :boohoo:

Hesitation,

Maybe you didn't have it anyway tho? But I'll certainly keep people up-dated on how I get on. This is the last thing I can think of to investigate. I'm getting tested for pathogenic fungus, parasites and inflammatory markers ( or something like that I can't accurately remember ).

The ant-candida has turned peoples' lives around and they've got their health and quality of life back. I'm not just on about on this site but when you do a search and read peoples stories.

There's massively long questionnaires you can do, but again, they aren't really diagnostic. I think everyone would be pos for candida if they just went on them. I'd rather bet on sampling body stuffs in a reputable lab.

I suppose another thing I could do is a food allergy test. Bloody hell................!!! :confused:

I had a long convo with the lab guys about candida and how to diagnose it. Basically they told me that there is no certain way of identifying it. They took some urine and blood samples but nothing out of the ordinary came up. I wasted a year on that diet.

The diet didn't help you at all? Even if you don't have candida I think it would help since it has a low GL and is all natural foods.

I too would like to know how the OP or anyone else KNOWS they have a candida overgrowth.

I have a lot of the alleged symptoms but to be honest the more I read about it the more I think it is a myth.