Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thanksInterweb

TETRACYCLINE LOG (MONTH 4)

I'm 26 and have had consistent, moderate/mild acne since 24. My dermatologist prescribed tetracycline pills (6 month course) and tetracycline topical cream, I'm on month 4, and thought I'd share my experiences.

Weeks 1 & 2 = It got worse, probably worse than it had ever been.

Weeks 3 & 4 = It started to clear up.

Weeks 5 & 6 = Skin looked amazing and completely clear

Weeks 7 & 8 = I went on holiday and forgot the pills, after 2 days my skin broke out like in weeks 1 & 2 (not good)

Weeks 9 -16 = Skin is clearer again, but not like before and I get the occasional small pimple.

I have another 2 months left on this treatment. With any antibiotic, it's imperative you finish the course without any breaks otherwise your body will build up some resistance (which has probably happened in my case). The side effects I've suffered have been negligible so far and the results initially excellent, right now I'd say very good.

I'll let you know how things progress.

Hope this helps.

hey, has your derm talk to you about what you're going to do after you finish the 6 months of tetracycline, because its not like accutane where you will likely remain clear afterwards.. just wondering because i finished doing 12 weeks of tetracyline recently and am just waiting to see how my skin reacts to being on nothing. i'm not sure what my next option will be if my skin gets really bad again..

I want to know too. My derm put me on antibiotics, but I forgot to ask her at my appointment, how long she expected to keep me on them, and what happens when you stop them, and start breaking out again....

:think:

I want to know too. My derm put me on antibiotics, but I forgot to ask her at my appointment, how long she expected to keep me on them, and what happens when you stop them, and start breaking out again....

:think:

I remember reading here that it comes back afterwards (from a few peeps) but haven't seen anyone on the course as long as me. I have my (probably final) consultation with my derm this week, where she'll perscribe my last 2 month dose and tell me what's next. I'd imagine after 6 months that any residual bacteria is pretty much gone, leaving a 'clean slate' where topical treatment might be more effective, I'm not sure though.

I'll let you know what she says!