Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonwalker

Accutane and the brain

http://www.pnas.org/content/101/14/5111.full?ck=nck

The above is just one of the studies but concerns me most. I've read quite a bit of research now and can't answer these questions:

- Are effects permanent or does the brain recover completely?

- Does it happen in 100% of people who take it of just in some?

- Is it dosage dependent i.e. if you take a lower dose does this decrease the effects or chance of this happening?

Read the whole study. I dunno, it might hurt your brain. However, they don't quantify the data in a meaningful way that worries me. Telling me there is a "significant" reduction in cell proliferation in the brain is nothing new. If they did the studies on humans and got the same results, yeah it would be troublesome.

It's risk reward dude. I'd gladly sacrifice an IQ point or two for clear skin, even though I doubt there are any real long term effects on the brain. But it's your choice to make.

Acutally they did do a study on humans. Dr. Douglas Bremner from Emory. They did a pet scan before accutane use and then after on 21 patients. It showed a 21% decrease in the front obritala cortex of the brain.

Noone can tell you wether how Accutane will effect you. Some experinced suicide ideations, depression, change in mood, short term memory loss and stopped right away and the symptoms cleared, some have continued even w/ theese side effects and they have become permanent and some they haven't.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/162/5/983

As stated above, Accutane clearly has an impact upon brain function, particularly in the frontal cortex. A higher dose would theoretically increase the likelihood that you experience a decrease in brain activity. My dosages were: 20mg, 40mg, 60mg, 60mg, 80mg,80mg-- I had major problems with concentration and I developed anxiety issues while I was on the drug. I would argue that, even though not everybody notices side-effects such as the ones I had, everybody experiences some form of decreased brain activity. The fact that Accutane is used to treat brain-cancers means that it is effective at killing rapidly dividing cells within the brain. Studies have shown that Accutane has a great impact on the proliferative rate of cells within the hippocampus. Not everyone notices side-effects like depression, anxiety, lack of concentration, etc., but everyone should experience some change in brain chemistry while on the drug. Once the accutane treatment is over, brain function usually returns to normal.

The psychological effects of severe acne is much more serious than accutane. Unless you are depressed and/or suicidal, taking a risk by using accutane is worth it for those suffering severe acne.