Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pracilla

Adult Acne - Spirolactone...

Hi all, I'm new to this site but am at my witts end trying to deal with Acne since my teens...

I am 36, have been taking Spirolactone since early Dec 09, and not much has changed. Started on 25mg, then to 50mg, and I am still breaking out, and also getting horrible pimples in areas I never used to get them, like lower jaw line, side of neck and on my back!!

Has anybody had any success on this drug? I am also on Yasmin and have been on it for years. I have noticed my pore size has reduced abit, and hairgrowth, on legs etc, is not as intense, but still suffering with acne and scaring...

Help! :(

How long have you been on 50 mg and how bad is your acne?

Quite a lot of us have had success on Spiro. Check out some of the many threads in the Hormonal treatments forum.

Edited by Lady Odd Duck

My Dermatologist prescribed Aldactone (Spiro) for me, 50 mg, but I haven't filled the script yet. How long do most people have to take it? Just curious...my Derm couldn't really give me an answer, she said it depends on how it works.

My Dermatologist prescribed Aldactone (Spiro) for me, 50 mg, but I haven't filled the script yet. How long do most people have to take it? Just curious...my Derm couldn't really give me an answer, she said it depends on how it works.

Spiro only works for as long as you take it so shortly after you stop, it will stop working. Your acne will come back if you have not grown out of it on your own. The good news is, Spiro is one of those drugs you can take indefinately, unless other problems arise.

Have you talked to your doc about upping your dosage? I only had success with spiro once I got up to more than 75mg - and 125mg worked best.

I have been using Spiro now for 3 1/2 years. I started with 50mg, increased to 100, then 150mg about 3 years ago. It truly cured my acne but not until I started taking 150mg, less than that did not have enough of an effect for me. Also, Spiro only works if your acne is hormonal, so if it isn't then it may not be your solution.