Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dn7prh10

How much does genetics influence?

I'm just wondering...how much of a role does genetics play in terms of acne. For years dermatologists have told me that the reason I have acne is because one of my parents had it at my age. That was my father....supposedly he had it as a teenager...although I'm pretty sure not as young as me (I got it at 12) and I've seen pictures his has NEVER been as severe as mine and his cleared never to return at least by 21. For years I prayed and look foreward to my 21st birthday when I was sure I would finally outgrow it. Now I'm 22 will be 23 this year and it is the most severe it has ever been in my life. My mom had a mild acne for maybe 2 years max in her early thirties. So how much does genetics influence acne? Why do I still have mine, worse even, at a time neither of my parents did. Have mine mutated or something?

Genetics has the strongest influence on acne.

Although your parents didn't have acne, your grandparents/great grandparents/etc. could have had acne and passed it on to you.

Genetics has the strongest influence on acne.

Although your parents didn't have acne, your grandparents/great grandparents/etc. could have had acne and passed it on to you.

I think you misread my post. Both my parents had acne, just never to the extent of mine. Nobody else in my family ever had it besides them and my dad had at least one sister who had it. Other than that none of my grandparents did...not even mildly. I can understand why I have acne...I just don't understand why it is different from my parents....why is it so much worse and why has it persisted longer than any of theirs has? Thats what doesn't make sense to me and makes me questions just how big of a role genetics truly does play.