Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Food Cravings - do we have them for a reason?

I've noticed that I really crave for nuts and seeds. When I buy some I eat them all right away and would be back in the beginning. Is there a reason for this? Maybe my body needs the nutrients that are present in nuts? The cravings get stronger once I eat them...

I have wondered this as well...whether food cravings are really a signal from our body that we need something or deficient in some nutrient. I have no idea if this is true though, but lately I have been suffering from major cravings....but for bad foods....I would much rather have cravings for nuts/seeds. I think mine are mainly related to my addiction to sugar which in turn screws up my moods and so forth. All I know is that they suck and hope to find a healthy solution to combatting them instead of continually jeopardizing my diet, health, and thus face.

Some believe so. If you are in sync with your body food cravings do direct you towards food you need. It is in our nature, all other animals do the same. The problem comes when we are adapted to fake foods and crave them, for example, craving pizza. You wouldn't find pizza in nature, so this craving wouldn't really exist. You are probably craving some nutrients in the pizza which you have programmed your brain to get from pizza. If you would have eaten real food all your life then the craving would have been for something else that is real and contains that nutrient. That's what some people believe anyways.

IMO, sometimes cravings do mean something, other times it is just random. To me, after 7 months in some kind of rendition of paleo I don't really crave foods outside of paleo. I tried going paleo without fruits and it was impossible for me. I have noticed that I crave berries and fruits much much more when I am physically active, so maybe it means something...

I would worry about the nuts, just have a handful and don't overdo them. Why wouldn't you eat nuts?

I have wondered this as well...whether food cravings are really a signal from our body that we need something or deficient in some nutrient. I have no idea if this is true though, but lately I have been suffering from major cravings....but for bad foods....I would much rather have cravings for nuts/seeds. I think mine are mainly related to my addiction to sugar which in turn screws up my moods and so forth. All I know is that they suck and hope to find a healthy solution to combatting them instead of continually jeopardizing my diet, health, and thus face.

Try having some fat to combat the sugar cravings.

I never get cravings for nuts, but once I have one I usually end up consuming the whole packet. Which is usually 300-500 grams worth, waaayyy too much, and I can feel it in my stomach later on.

I've noticed that I really crave for nuts and seeds. When I buy some I eat them all right away and would be back in the beginning. Is there a reason for this? Maybe my body needs the nutrients that are present in nuts? The cravings get stronger once I eat them...

Well nuts are definitely super vitamin and mineral rich, so I suppose it's possible. I definitely think food cravings are there for a reason, I mean they must serve some purpose. But I definitely feel that many cravings aren't necessarily there in your bests interests in today's world given the availability of quick, and not always healthy foods. It is a mechanism that was meant for roaming the plains and where you should be concentrating your efforts, perhaps.

I watched some "I Shouldn't Be Alive" show on Discovery Channel about a guy who was adrift in a the middle of the ocean in a life raft for some 200 days. It was really interesting, talking a lot about the process of starvation and the way the human mind changes in those situations. The guy was able to catch fish sometimes, and he said he would just tear into it, instinctually going for the organs and the skin and stuff, like his body knew where the most concentrated nutrition was.

Drizzler knows what he's talking about. Animals in their natural environments, including human beings, know what to eat.

"Listen To Your Body, not your mouth. Your mouth likes sweets and fat because your ancestors lived in a world where all the sweets and fat that existed were healthful in moderation, and too rare to be eaten in excess. If you've got a giant cake made with hydrogenated oil and white sugar, your mouth will tell you to eat it all, and later your body will tell you it was a mistake.

Another reason to listen to your body is the great variation in what our different bodies need. You can read all kinds of diet books, including books that categorize you in a type, but the ultimate authority is how you feel after eating a particular food. If black beans give you heartburn and pinto beans don't, eat pintos. If milk creates mucus in your nose and throat, you're allergic and shouldn't drink it (but you might want to try raw milk or milk from other animals). Your nose is also a good indicator. If the smell of cooking meat makes you feel sick, you should be vegetarian. If it smells like heaven, you need to eat it. It's tragic that so many people make dietary choices based on culture or ideology, instead of their personal biology.

Also it's possible to feel a bodily craving for a food you're allergic to."

Edited by dirtbomb

i dont really crave nuts or seeds but once i start eating sunflower seeds, i get really addicted and need to buy more.