Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everybody,

I was an active member of the board until I got finally clear... after 20 years of birth control pill and antibiotics.

I stopped the pill in June 2009 and never got a pimple thanks to my diet (at least I think) until December... for six month I was perfectly clear!

My diet from June to early December:

Breakfast: GreenSmoothie (1 cup soymilk + 1 banana + a lot of kale or spinach + berries or papaya (usually) + 1 tbsp flaxseeds)

Lunch: 1-2 cups of blended, canned legumes (beans or chickpeas)

Snack: GreenSmoothie

Dinner: Fish and raw vegetables

Snack (sometimes): GreenSmothie

In December, I went through a very tough period and fall of the wagon. I started eating pasta, sweets and even cheese. My acne come back... but slowly... first on my back and shoulders, than on my chest and finally (last two weeks) on my face.

Now, my face and body are devastated... but I cannot find the strength to go back on an healthy diet... it's like a drug... I don't know if my biggest problem is gluten or high glycemic foods (including fruit)... or overeating (I ate so much lately)... I also suffer from PCOS...

How long will my body take to go back to an healthy status? If at least I could see a small improvement... sometimes I think it is not the food I eat but it is just meant to be (my acne)... maybe it was just the effect of the birth control pill protracting until December...

I'm very depressed... but it could also be an effect of detoxification from sugary foods...

I don't know what to think.

Help,

Maria

PS: sorry about my grammar... but I'm Italian and trying to improve my English :D

wth 225 mg of zinc? u sure u know what u doing?

yes I agree 225 mg of Zinc is way too much. Be carefull taking so much!

As for how long it takes for your body to get healthy again? Well its very different for everyone unfortunately. I would just stick to the diet and eventually you will get healthy. Also, you might want to get tested for food sensitivity test to determine the specific foods that you might have sensitivity for. Make sure to check with your insurance to make sure they cover the test.

Also, you might want to get tested for food sensitivity test to determine the specific foods that you might have sensitivity for. Make sure to check with your insurance to make sure they cover the test.

Thank you, I'm planning to schedule a food sensitivity test... by the way, luckily, overseas we don't have (yet) such problems with insurance covering medical tests ;)

But I lived in NYC for 5 yeras... so I know what you mean.

I was also clear for all of my adult years - on birth control, exercise, and very healthy diet - I just went off the pill last fall and was ok for a few months, now it's also hit me, mostly my face and my back. I'm told it can take 3-9 months for your hormones to re-adjust after coming off the pill. Also, as you probably know PCOS can also causes acne.

Are you following the regimen now? I am, week three, and hoping it'll help soon.

Good luck.

I was also clear for all of my adult years - on birth control, exercise, and very healthy diet - I just went off the pill last fall and was ok for a few months, now it's also hit me, mostly my face and my back. I'm told it can take 3-9 months for your hormones to re-adjust after coming off the pill. Also, as you probably know PCOS can also causes acne.

Are you following the regimen now? I am, week three, and hoping it'll help soon.

Good luck.

Hi TMB,

I went off the pill in June and was clear until December (6 months). Do you think my hormones freaked out after 6 months? Why?

About PCOS, is there anything I can do? What's the correct diet for PCOS?

My face did not break out in the least few days... this is a good news... my chest and back are mess though...

Thank you,

Maria

Hi Marilena, sounds like you may have a candida problem if you have had lots of antibiotics in the past and your skin has freaked out since eating lots of sugar and carbs. Also PCOS is linked to insulin resistance as you prob know, so following a low carb diet as much as possible (and that does not mean you should not allow yourself the occasional treat - better to fall off the wagon every so often and stick to the diet in the long run, than adhere to it 100% and then have a huge motivational crash like the one it sounds like you have just had) is really a must for you if you want to alleviate symptoms. Hard I know as such foods are the ones that we most crave.

That said, your diet seems pretty harsh to me - are you veggie by choice or is it part of your regimen and something you struggle to adhere to? And how about fish?

If it was me and I was trying to avoid carbs, I would prob only be able to manage it with a tastey hunk of animal protein to look forward to! Thats just me though and may not be to your tastes at all.

Have you tried treating your PCOS herbally btw? Agnus catstus & saw palmetto (hormone reg), milk thistle (liver strengthening and building to help deal with breakdown of excess hormones) and turmeric (anti-inflammatory and also regulates HPA axis, but make sure you take it with fat for solubility - it is not water soluble - and black pepper to improve bioavailability and absorption) are all good ways to go.

Hope you work it out.