Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mattio

Random stranger offering unneeded advice

Hey everyone! I was outside my university today talking to a friend of mine when this old lady approached me and, pointing at her face, told me to try some product, advising me not to go to a derm because they are "useless" (I have mild acne and a fair amount of red marks on my upper cheeks). I was floored and at the moment could not do anything but be corteous, smile and nod. But in reality I was pissed off and a bit saddened - this had never happened to me. I know that she meant well but I think people should mind their own business. =S

Has anyone of you ever been approached with unneeded advice regarding your skin condition by complete strangers? What did you say?

Edited by mattio

Not complete strangers, I worked in quite a bitchy office with women from 30 - 50 and although I was probally asking for it because I moaned about my skin I found every person had a bloody answer for everything and no one took me seriously. They acted as if i was dumb and hadn't tried the obvious " you tried clearasil?"

People try and be helpful with their heart in the right place but sometimes I only want to talk to someone who can relate to my situation.

Also I find older people can be sooo blunt ... my nan was classic :D

Random strangers can sometimes have no idea of boundaries, best thing to do is laugh it off.

She probably thought she was being helpful, probably had no intention of hurting you, though I can imagine someone talking about your skin like that would be so uncomfortable!

I once had a woman ask me twenty questions about the eleven or twelve loaves of bread I was buying. She absolutely laid into me for no reason, giving out yards to me, even when I explained I was doing a shop for 22 people for a weekend away, she still felt compelled to tell me I had far too much and what was I doing etc. People are strange. Plus she was wrong, we actually ran out of bread..

Some woman told me that I should try Proactiv because her son used it and it worked for him. I told her I had tried it before with no results and she said I must have been doing it wrong :lol:

The sad thing is that I often wonder "Damn, maybe I did do it wrong..."

omg i hate this!!! this has happened to me before and seriously. i know i have acne and its none of strangers business!! alot of strangesr offer me random help like ohh have uy tried proactiv? or u should see ur derm blah blabh albh. i already am trying to fix my problem u dont have to do it. i understand they dont mean it but it really hurts me already having it. they dont need to POINT IT out!

not really but my ex would always make fun of me about it. and the funny thing was that he had it worse than me

and my dad is always bitching about my skin