Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
are_you_in

What type of scars do I have? And What works for them?

Hey,

This is my first post here. Long time reader, first time poster. I've found it difficult to identify which type of scars I have and consequently which treatment might work best. They are very shallow, the whole area around them is red and the actual scars are white lines. I've had them for over 2 years since using accutane so I dont think they can fade any further.

(The photos make them seem a lot less red and noticeable than they really are too!)

So what type of scaring do you think it is?

What type of treatment is normally best for these types?

post-123018-1266847159_thumb.jpg

post-123018-1266847284_thumb.jpg

Thank you in advance. Im sorry to conjest the boards with another one of these posts.

post-123018-1266847159_thumb.jpg

post-123018-1266847284_thumb.jpg

U know...not exactly clear what kind of scarring it is. I can see two depressions, but I wonder is there a little mound between them ? Seems like a candidate for a few subcisions...you might need a filler though to completely erase it--silicone would be idea cause of how broad these are...you can use fat as well.

I wouldnt' bother with a tiny ice picks...they seem very mild and will go away as you shave more and more...

Edited by usacc

your scar is barely noticeable. If you really want to invest the $ for it. though, try subcision and filler.

It doesnt look very clear in those pics. I apologise. Its impossible getting clear images of scars as cameras dont seem to pick up on the detail that the human eye too easily does! Heres another pic to show the depth, Im not whining- they're very noticable imo.

post-123018-1266887182_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much for the help though, everyone. Why is subscion a good option for me?

Would tca cross or peels be good for type of scaring? Or would they make it worse

Also from the new pics can anyone identify what type of scar they are?

Cheers again

Edited by are_you_in

^ That's a much better picture

I think subcision will work GREAT for those scars. Those scars can definitely be improved IMO. You may need 2-3 rounds. You can also use fillers. Fillers would work if they flatten out when you stretch them.

I have a very similar set of scars on my cheek. They do disappear when I stretch them, however. I'm a bit hesitant about subcision, since I'm sure it can make the situation worse.

How effective are fillers? Also, why is the original poster a good candidate for subsicion in your opinion?

The scar is a rolling scar (or boxcar?), when the area gets 'bound down' with scar tissue. A subcision would break that apart and allow the space between to heal and fill in. It normally takes a couple of rounds to be effective, though.

Since there are only a couple of scars, I'd say to avoid laser or dermarolling, just because there is so much healthy skin that doesn't need any treatment(s).

Edited by Starlite

The scar is a rolling scar (or boxcar?), when the area gets 'bound down' with scar tissue. A subcision would break that apart and allow the space between to heal and fill in. It normally takes a couple of rounds to be effective, though.

Since there are only a couple of scars, I'd say to avoid laser or dermarolling, just because there is so much healthy skin that doesn't need any treatment(s).

If he were to use a derma roller, he could easily just target the scarring and not the good skin...

I have a very similar set of scars on my cheek. They do disappear when I stretch them, however. I'm a bit hesitant about subcision, since I'm sure it can make the situation worse.

How effective are fillers? Also, why is the original poster a good candidate for subsicion in your opinion?

Because of the type of scar it is. It is a rolling scar without steep edges.

For the deeper one, you might wanna just get it cut out and stitched. You're pretty white, so you can get spot dermabrasion to erase any left over linear scarring

For the deeper one, you might wanna just get it cut out and stitched. You're pretty white, so you can get spot dermabrasion to erase any left over linear scarring

I was thinking the same thing... It's limited to such a small area, and seems to be far enough away from the lower eye tissue. But talk to an actual surgeon about it, not a derm. You want somebody who really knows about that kind of procedure.