Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agoff

Question on Anti-biotics???

What are the deciding factors for which anti-biotic the derm chooses?? Do certain anti's work for different strains of acne? Is it based on age? Does anyone know?

when i first went on antibiotics, i asked my derm this very question (i had to try 2 until i found one that worked for me.)

first i went on doxy, then 2 months later switched to mino (mino works for me, so far.) basically he said that the potential side effects of doxy are a little less severe than mino (but thats not to say that mino has horrible side effects), and also, my acne was relatively mild. he said theres been plenty of times where hes put someone on mino first, but i guess it comes down to the derms preference as well as the severity of the patients acne. all this stuff is really just trial and error anyway, if the first one you try works for you, thats just the luck of the draw.

and if youre trying to get on accutane, unless you walk in the derms office with really horribly severe acne, just about any and all reputable derm will put you through at least 2 trials of antibiotics before they put you on accutane.