Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carmusen

Is it EMBARRASSING to go to a dermatologist's office?

I've been thinking of going to a dermatology clinic ever since. But the thought of walking in the office with acne on my face and talking to the receptionist with other acne-ridden patients reading magazines in the lounge seems embarrassing.

How is the environment anyway?

Edited by carmusen

Why should it be embarassing? They see people with acne 100 times a day. And besides, it shows that you're there to get help for acne and take care of your skin.

no why should i be embarrassed? acne is a problem thats visible to everyone and derms already know you should be coming to them

No. You should not be embarrassed.. It is normal to go to a dermatologist if your acne bothers you. That's why there are dermatologists to help people who have skin problems.

I've been thinking of going to a dermatology clinic ever since. But the thought of walking in the office with acne on my face and talking to the receptionist with other acne-ridden patients reading magazines in the lounge seems embarrassing.

How is the environment anyway?

haha I know what you mean cause I always think it's going to be hella awkward in the waiting room area and people will whisper things like "oh well he must be here for acne", and afterwards I realize I was worrying over nothing. The other day I went in though (i'm 2 months into accutane) and my face was a mess, flaking all over the place, a big yellowish scab that I'd torn off my face leaving the skin underneath exposed causing to make my lips look like the Joker in the movie "The Dark Knight", and all the hospital staff were very friendly. It was almost a little uncanny how they had no reaction at all to my face, but they've seen it all I suppose. Also whenever I go it's usually old people for some reason, I've only seen someone my age on two occasions, but it's not awkward. People are all there for their own medical conditions. So yeah, don't be worried about going to the dermatologist. It'll be fine.

It can seem that way, but it's not when you think that you are there for one purpose: to clear and mend your skin. So nobody would be in there that never had acne and make the situation awkward.

Although one time I saw somebody in the waiting room that went to my school. I am two years ahead of him and I never talk to him or see him. But still... Anyway, we both had pretty bad skin and now we are both clear! I saw him in the hallways the a while ago this year. It's a happy thought to think about.

Going to the dermatologist should be like coming to this website.

LoL I find that the site helps with emotion A LOT more.

Dermatologists.. only provide drugs and medication -_-.

I used to be very nervous about going to the derm even though they see acne everyday and all that. Just when someone would touch my face makes me cringe

dw its not that bad. just remember ur there to get BETTER! im a girl and i had to go in without any make up on which weas scary.. i was paranoid that ill bump into someone i knew.. bc my dermo isnt just a dermo he shares the reception with a normal dr.. and this was local so yea.. but luckily i didnt see anyone! but yea, the other patients there knew what i was there for.. clearly.. as my face was prettyobvious but whatever.. just do it!! if ur paranoid just bring a cap or sth to hide under and read a book most of the time.. the receptionist ppl are used to see ppl with bad skin so their cool. :)

Going to the dermatologist should be like coming to this website.

LoL I find that the site helps with emotion A LOT more.

Dermatologists.. only provide drugs and medication -_-.

All depends on the derm I guess. I had 4 different derms. @ old guys that didnt give a sh*t. Pretty much like you said.....they just provide drugs and medication. Another younger dude....like 40's who was too fn cool for me. And my new derm now who I love. Female, 30 yrs old, suffered from acne.....talked with me for 10 minutes one time about sh*t. It was awesome. So I guess ya gotta find the right derm