Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BounDetermined

Three Day Jumpstart

Hello Everyone ... :D

I have decided to post a blog about my three-day jumpstart program to clearer skin. After the three- day jumpstart regimen, I will begin my 28 day process to keeping the low-inflammation diet an everyday cure.

A little about my self. I am 20 year old female. I have dealt with acne since I was 14. This has been six years of physiological and psychological PAIN. I am now a college junior and I am SO READY to begin my career with a complete clear complexion. I would classify my acne as very severe ... And that's on the light side. It is mainly on my right and left cheeks, as well as near my temples and lower jaw lines.

I have LITERALLY tried everything. I'm not going to list all of the medicines that irritated my skin even more for months, but just to name a few: Tazorac, Differin (spelling), Tetracyclin, Retin A, BC pills, and ACCUTANE. I was on accutane for over five months, and sure IT WORKED.. But the acne came back a couple of years later. Worse.

I want to get to the bottom of this. I can't explain to one how acne emotionally affected my life. I have tried supplements left and right. I'm sure many of the members of Acne.org can relate to my pain and suffering! (Be strong!)

I truly am a believer that acne is caused my what you E.A.T. Sure, stress and outside bystanders can surely add to the effects of acne. But what you put into your body plays a major role with what is fed to your cells and how your body reacts.

My goal is to treat acne from within, by what I put into my body (Small portions of HEALTHY meals).

I want to heal every little molecule cell that is made up of what I eat, inside my body, and cure it will healthy, anti-inflammatory foods (Ex. Baby spinach, Salmon, Berries).

I am creating this blog as an experiment on myself. I want to have a track record of what is going on, to see my whereabouts and how my skin is (hopefully) progressing.

Some jumpstart tips that I am doing is sprinkling flaxseed powder (flaxseed grinned in blender), drinking a bountiful amount of water (for DIGESTION), eating my protein first, and avoiding coffee (going to be hard ...), breads (that's all of 'em), and juice.

Today was my half day jumpstart ... Being that I did have a slip. Tomorrow is day one and we will begin the VERY strict diet of what I put into my body.

Sunday, 02-21-10

Breakfast: Glass of water, oatmeal (NOT instant), 1/4 cup of rice milk

1/4 cup of blueberries & raspberries

Lunch: Side salad, blue cheese dressing and small cup of butternut squash soup.

Glass of decaffeinated mango <u>Unsweetened</u> tea.

Snack: Medium-sized golden crisp apple (this is a low glycemic snack).

1 cup of low-fat, 2% milk.

Dinner: Crab stuffed salmon with a baby spinach greens salad. The salad had Light EVOO with a splash of a fresh lemon. Also, I topped it with a tablespoon of Edamame Salad.

Dessert: (Because I am not going to deprive myself!) 1/8 Bar of 85% Dark Chocolate

There will be a list of the meals I have daily so that people can get a gist of what I am putting into my body and the results that I am seeing!

And as always, I know this is going to be hard ... Foods that I have eaten for many years of my life are no longer incorporated into this diet. What I need to remember is that doing this is worth clear skin and also, I am focusing on what foods I CAN have rather than can't.

Doing this and recognizing what I CAN have will certainly be an easier approach and helpful to allow myself to believe I am not depriving myself.

Edited by BounDetermined

This is a great idea; I'm sure you'll see great results.

Have you thought about modifying your diet to avoid common food intolerances such as dairy, gluten, wheat and nuts?

Its more or less the same thing to what your doing now, but just avoiding the common trigger foods.

Lastly I know you mentioned you've tried tons of supplements. Which ones have you tried? I've had great success with Apple Cider Vinegar and Digestive Enzymes with each meal.

PANIC

Have you thought about modifying your diet to avoid common food intolerances such as dairy, gluten, wheat and nuts?

Agreed. A really good 3-day jumpstart would be following Perricones 3-day facelift diet. Or choosing only hypo-allergenic foods. Although I believe perricone's diet might allow yogurt and such. i haven't looked at it in a while. It's really big with the salmon and berries.

Hi,

Do you have any links to the non-infammatory diet?

There is no 'the' non-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory diet. An anti-inflammatory diet involves eating more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory foods. The most inflammatory foods are sugar and other refined carbs and high GI/insulenic foods, hydrogenated/trans fats, and anything you have an intolerance for. Anti-inflammatory foods are basically plant foods/herbs/teas, except grains, that you are not allergic to and omega 3 fat sources like fish and some animal products provided they were properly raised (pastured and not grain fed). http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...09#entry2574309

Expanding on Alternativista's post,

Here's a list of top anti-inflammatory foods to start packing into your diet. They all happen to be extremely nutrient-dense, anti-oxidant packed foods as well.

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowContent/...tory_foods.html

Another: http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-anti-in...atory-foods.htm

Here is a list of top pro-inflammatory foods to reduce or eliminate:

http://theconsciouslife.com/top-10-inflamm...ds-to-avoid.htm

Also, you can always go to nutritiondata.com and type in the food in question, and look at the "Inflammation Factor" box.

Hey guys ... :surprised:

Just wanted to let update everyone on my FIRST REAL day of this diet and answer a few questions that were listed:

@Drizzler, Thank you SO much for the pro-inflammatory list! I am going to review it right after this ... I really appreciate it.

@Alternativista: I DO intend to avoid all dairy products .. Dairy seems to have an effect on my small intestines and affects my digestive tract. Of course, I have read that having issues with your digestive track and small intestines can and will affect your acne. Also, I have also tried a diet that avoided wheat and I focused on gluten-free foods. This diet helped reduce the inflammation dramatically, but i think it's mainly because I was avoiding almost all carbs and sugars. OF course, this only lasted about 5 days ... Keeping that will power is VITAL.

@ Everyone else who asked about my meal plans .. I am basically reading a book by Dr. Perricone. His books is summing up the countless hours of information I have read on the internet. I surely recommend reading his book titled "Prescription for Clear Skin."

Now off to what I ate today:

Breakfast:

1/2 of Old Fashioned cooked Oatmeal (steel cut) with a dash of cinnamon and stevia.

1/4 Cup of Walnuts (organic)

1/4 Cup of fresh blueberries (to nibble on while the oatmeal cooked)

and a splash of Light Soy Milk in my oatmeal

Snack:

1/2 Cup of Cocoa Roasted Almonds by Emerald

1 grande Passionfruit Tea from Starbucks (UNSWEETENED)

Lunch:

I kind of slipped here guys ...

Small chicken caesar salad with no croutons and VERY small portion of dressing

1 Cup of Cabos Low Fat Greek Vanilla yogurt .. I slipped here because there is A LOT of sugar in this yogurt, even though it is VERY high in protein .. I will not make the mistake of having this because I definitely felt a sugar buzz ...

Snack: 1 Medium0sized fresh green apple

Of course water .. I am not going to always mention water ,but please be aware I am drinking an abundance of water. This helps with food digestion and i'm sure we are all familiar with it's benefits! :)

Dinner:

1 Cup vegetable stir fry (brocolli), made with NO butter or anything added, just sizzled in a pan.

2 sliced tomatoes

1 Organic Publix chicken breast baked with organic herbs

6 oz of water with fresh sliced lemon

Dessert:

Small (Halloween sized) Green & Blacks DARK 85% Chocolate

8 oz of Light Original Soy milk

(I feel like I should not have had the chocolate, but it is rich in anti-oxidants and I literally have to indulge in something lightly sweet (3gm sugar in this case) so that I will not overly do it when I do crave something sweet.

Overall .. I felt there were some foods I should have adjusted. I am not too proud about what I ate for lunch, but I am not going to go crazy over it! Tomorrow I plan to have a better lunch!

Also, some results I saw this morning were very LITTLE redness, compared to what it has been in the past. The inflammation has slightly gone down. Let's see what a couple more days can do! :)

I recently discovered another of Perricone's books at my parents' house, called "The Wrinkle Cure". I think it is *very* interesting that his dietary recommendations include cutting out basically all breads, pastas, anything made with flour etc. His diet actually greatly reflects a paleo-type diet. Pretty awesome.

I recently discovered another of Perricone's books at my parents' house, called "The Wrinkle Cure". I think it is *very* interesting that his dietary recommendations include cutting out basically all breads, pastas, anything made with flour etc. His diet actually greatly reflects a paleo-type diet. Pretty awesome.

funny the books your parents dig up, mine are moving house and sorting books. My mother just gave me a cookbook "Cooking without", which has been in the back of her cupboard since 97. Just full of recipes for gluten/wheat/yeast free food.

I truly am a believer that acne is caused my what you E.A.T. Sure, stress and outside bystanders can surely add to the effects of acne. But what you put into your body plays a major role with what is fed to your cells and how your body reacts.

You should not downplay those 'bystanders.' Many things like sleep, light exposure, stress and physical activity are equally important and even affect how much diet affects your acne.

Doctors have recently realized that sleep and physical activity play just as important if not more important role in developing diabetes, for example. The circadian cycle affects your ability to digest carbs properly. Physical activity and a bit of muscle mass are the best things you can do to keep blood sugar stable. You do those things right, your diet habits don't have to be kept as low GL.