Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dn7prh10

I need an outside opinion...

Okay so I need your guy's opinion. Below are my pictures of my severe acne that I have been trying to figure out the cause of with diet...it was a result of quitting acne topical medications (which only seem to make it worse). Okay so I've been on a vegetarian diet since Aug. 2009 without dairy. Recently I believe it was two weeks ago on a thurs, friday, and sat. I consumed dairy and meats...before I (during the Feb. 9th photo) was on a very strict diet persisting of only whole grains, fish, occasionally omega enriched organic eggs, lots of cruciferous veggies, and sometimes apple, although quite a bit organic fruit juice (grape and apple). The Jan. 26 photo shows what I was suffering from before I went to whole grains like brown rice and quinoa. In January I was still eating some processed pastas and bread although it was whole wheat. The Feb. 22 is what happened after consuming the dairy and meat and lately I have been eating processed pasta again (whole wheat). I feel like my face was improving during the Feb. 9th photo and now it is worse. I need your opinion...does it look like my face really had improved in the Feb. 9th photo from the Jan. 26? (I mean it was a small improvement in my opinion, but still there is marked improvement there right?) and after the terrible food my face has gotten significantly more inflamed and broken out right? All opinions are welcome! Thanks for all the support and advice in advance...sorry for the long post wanted to give ya'll background info.

post-119758-1266806258_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1266806293_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1266806336_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1266806258_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1266806293_thumb.jpg

post-119758-1266806336_thumb.jpg

I think you need to add more variety to your diet. In my opinion I don't think an all vegetable diet is good for acne. Your body needs good fats and proteins and that is a fact. Also I think you should focus on cleansing your insides and your face should clear up

Have you tried avoiding wheat completely yet?

And you should not have 'quite a bit' of fruit juice. And if you do have it, be sure to have it only with low GI foods to lessen the impact of all that sugar. You could also try watering it down. Way down.

Edited by alternativista

I'm a little lost as to why you continue to eat acne prone food? Why are you eating whole grains and whole wheat pasta? Why are you still consuming dairy? These are KNOWN to induce acne break outs because your body can't break them down causing inflammation.

Also as Alterna pointed out your sugar intake is waaaaaay too high. Until you clean up your diet, you will continue to break out.

Dig deep, get the will power to avoid these foods if you really want clear skin.

No Gluten = no bread, pasta, cereal or most grain products. Good news is there are plenty of gluten free pastas, cereals and grain products you can sub in

No Dairy = no milk, cheese, yogurt, even the trace amount that are in things like Cheetos Again plenty of great subs here; rice milk for example

No Soy, No Nuts, Low Sugar

----------------------------------

If you can do all this consistently for a few months your skin will clear up a lot!

Good luck- giving you a bit of tough love at the top, hopefully you know its because I really want to help you, not discourage you

And your skin looks less inflamed in the middle pic compared to the other two

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

Because of your jawline and chin acne it might be hormonal. I would recommend getting your hormones tested to see if you have high testostrone/androgen. If you determine that hormones are your cause, I'd look into the following treatments.

Natural: Vitex, Dong Quai, Saw Palmetto, Maca Root

Prescription: Sprionoalctone (androgen blocker) (look at the reviews, seems to work wonders. I just started 2 weeks ago. I was totally against prescriptions until my hormone tests came back)

As for diet, my face got better when I increased protein (20g per meal), cut out all fruits/juice except blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, and limited whole grains to once per day. I also take Vitamin A, Zinc, and Primrose Oil. I have a cup of peppermint tea every night too.

And for topicals, I am seeing some improvement with egg white mask and vinegar.

Good Luck! You'll get through this!

I'm a little lost as to why you continue to eat acne prone food? Why are you eating whole grains and whole wheat pasta? Why are you still consuming dairy? These are KNOWN to induce acne break outs because your body can't break them down causing inflammation.

Also as Alterna pointed out your sugar intake is waaaaaay too high. Until you clean up your diet, you will continue to break out.

Dig deep, get the will power to avoid these foods if you really want clear skin.

No Gluten = no bread, pasta, cereal or most grain products. Good news is there are plenty of gluten free pastas, cereals and grain products you can sub in

No Dairy = no milk, cheese, yogurt, even the trace amount that are in things like Cheetos Again plenty of great subs here; rice milk for example

If you can do all this consistently for a few months your skin will clear up a lot!

Good luck- giving you a bit of tough love at the top, hopefully you know its because I really want to help you, not discourage you

PANIC

Thanks for the info, I had been off dairy for months...but do to depression and severe cravings for it I gave in. For at least two months I have been trying to give up bread (100% whole wheat or sourdough) but I only seem to last a week and then begin consuming again...which I really should do, because after so many weeks off and on I've discovered that when I eat bread (week on) I get extremely moody and even aggressive. Thanks for commenting on my photos which was the major purpose of my post although it may not have clearly stated that. I didn't realize the photos didn't say the dates. The photo you said looks less inflamed is of the Feb. 9th photo (the time in which I felt like my face was improving...before the dairy and meat incident).

Because of your jawline and chin acne it might be hormonal. I would recommend getting your hormones tested to see if you have high testostrone/androgen. If you determine that hormones are your cause, I'd look into the following treatments.

Natural: Vitex, Dong Quai, Saw Palmetto, Maca Root

Prescription: Sprionoalctone (androgen blocker) (look at the reviews, seems to work wonders. I just started 2 weeks ago. I was totally against prescriptions until my hormone tests came back)

As for diet, my face got better when I increased protein (20g per meal), cut out all fruits/juice except blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, and limited whole grains to once per day. I also take Vitamin A, Zinc, and Primrose Oil. I have a cup of peppermint tea every night too.

And for topicals, I am seeing some improvement with egg white mask and vinegar.

Good Luck! You'll get through this!

Well I had blood work done and supposedly the dr. also tested my hormones and everything came out within normal range. I have thought about going on Sprio, but am hesitant to go on chemical prescriptions....I just have a strong view against that route these days...I even have trouble with the notion of supplements...I have bought some but can never bring myself to take them. Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about grinding some oats to make a paste to apply to my face to hopefully reduce some of the inflammation.

PANIC

Thanks for the info, I had been off dairy for months...but do to depression and severe cravings for it I gave in. For at least two months I have been trying to give up bread (100% whole wheat or sourdough) but I only seem to last a week and then begin consuming again...which I really should do, because after so many weeks off and on I've discovered that when I eat bread (week on) I get extremely moody and even aggressive. Thanks for commenting on my photos which was the major purpose of my post although it may not have clearly stated that. I didn't realize the photos didn't say the dates. The photo you said looks less inflamed is of the Feb. 9th photo (the time in which I felt like my face was improving...before the dairy and meat incident).

I'm so sorry to hear your going through so much, but I'm sure you'll come out of this and be stronger.

Believe me I know how are it is to give up certain grains; that's why I eat gluten free grains all day! I eat rice cereal, lots of veggies, brown rice etc.

Its tough in the beginning and there are certainly times where you want to say "fuvk it" an it give in. But stay strong and you'll get there.

Do this for 3 months and you'll have great results.

I'd also encourage you to re-think your supplement thinking... many many many cases of acne are the result of lack of essential vitamins and minerals in your diet..... especially Vit D, and healthy Omega 3's.

PANIC

Have you ever considered accutane?

Yes I have, but am very very reluctant. I just feel the risks and possible side effects greatly outweigh and benefits that are necessarily guarunteed. If I'm going to take a drastic measure such as that it better be the end of my acne and never come back. If it is not a 100% guaruntee I'm not going to risk the possible psychological side effects and as many on here have complained the hair loss and so forth that persists after ending treatment. Its just not an option for me as my family has a long history of psychriatic disorders....I'm sure I'd end up with psychosis and possible suicide.

Consuming more omega 3 fats and real food while avoiding sugar and high glycemic foods/meals should help with depression and mood as well as hormones and acne. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2679680

Also, jawline acne does not equal hormones anymore than acne elsewhere. Almost all acne is hormone related. And my jawline cysts were an allergic reaction. And most of us will have test results in the 'normal range.' That doesn't mean those hormones aren't a problem. Besides, hormones fluctuate. They get produced (stimulated by insulin surges for example), bound to receptors, bound up by SHBG, and removed from your system all day long and may not be high at the time of tests.

I don't know if any others have any other problems regarding their digestive system, and I have no idea if mine is in any way related. But just for informational purposes, I was diagnoised with borderline gallbladder disease. They refered to it as borderline because thats how it was projected on the gallbladder test....to be borderline malfunctioning something like that. That was back in 2007. Basically I get gallbladder attacks after eating certain foods..before when I ate dairy daily back in 2007 it was such things as macaroni and cheese that did it, but also I would have trouble with iceberg lettuce, bananas, and fried fish, and eventually my salmon. Since changing to my strict healthy diet I no longer experience these attacks although the other day for the first time since going "straight" (to a healthy diet) I had fried cod fish and had an attack. Is there any way that my gallbladder disease could be related to my acne in any way?