Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rivercat

AHA/BHA without DKR...

So now that I feel I've got my acne under control, I want to get rid of the clogged pores and blotchyness in my cheeks. I have no used to the DKR for about 8 months, since I came off of it. And everywhere I look I read about the AHA+ that DK sells, I just hear about it being used with the DKR after like a few weeks of doing it. So I want to know am I safe to use it with just the Purpose Gentle Cleanser and not the whole DKR?

And also...is it safe to use with Paula's choice 2% BHA Liquid? I plan on using DK's AHA+ one night and the other night use the BHA? I want to use the BHA to get inside of the pores and use the AHA to even my skin tone, exfoliate the top layer of my skin, fade some redmarks and scars, but mainly moisturize my skin.

Recently just using the Purpose Cleanser, my skin gets ridiculously dry, before bed and also after I shower. If I shouldn't be using the BHA, should the AHA works nicely as a night time moisturizer on the dry areas of my face? According to Dan, it can be used as one, so I'm just making sure I'll be good.

Thanks in advance, hope I can get some help. =]

I actually just started doing this, using purpose cleanser with 5-6 drops of jojoba oil and just using AHA+ every night. I was using the AHA+ every other night but stepped it up to every day. This is the only thing I currently use and I am happy with the results. I use a combination of vitamins and stuff as well, I will look into BHA. And yes, I use the AHA+ at night, as a night time moisturizer, it might make you look a little greasy at first but it will absorb; make your judgements on your face after waking up the next morning, not the night you apply it.

The purpose cleanser shouldn't be drying.. just make sure you lather it in your hands real well first, THEN apply to your face and only wash for 10-15 seconds max, thats all you need. Don't try lathering after applying it because then you end up not only washing longer but also generally washing/pressing harder. Adding jojoba would help with dryness.

Edited by callmeamack

I was using the cetaphil bar cleanser and I believe that has SLS in it as well, doesn't seem to bother me or me too drying because I don't wash for long. I might give Dan's cleanser a shot just because it's HUGE and inexpensive.

I am ridiculously glad that someones actually responded...thank you so much!

First off, I think the Purpose is drying now because I've been using it everyday, twice a day, for about a year now and I think my skin is finally getting used to it or somin', or maybe the SLS is kicking in maybe? (not even sure what SLS is LOL)

And the funny thing is, I was just thinking that once this bottle is about to run out, I'm gonna order more of the Dan's Cleanser, I liked it alot more when I used to be on the DKR. The only reason why I use the Purpose is 'cause it's really easy to find and has kept me relatively clear for almost a year now.

And also, what kind of results have you guys been having with the AHA+ so far?

The AHA+ is real good stuff. I have noticed pretty consistent results with it. I was seeing myself getting a little clearer each done but.. I recently broke out but I believe that's because of the extra curricular activities I took part in this weekend, but it seems to be clearing back up. I can definitely notice the effects of the AHA+ the most on the places where I don't break out and it looks as though it's smoothing everything out and evening the skin tone, it just looks healthier. I have been thinking about going on the DKR but I will use this current routine for 1-2 months before I make any decisions.

Ah awesome, thanks for your response. I'm waiting on my AHA+, hopefully it comes in before the weekend. I have very clogged cheek pores, so I hope it helps with that and smoothens them out, rather than having tiny little plugged/clogged pores and very tiny red bumps in the front of my face. I bet its gonna be great to moisturize with anyway, looking foward.

The DKR works great on mild acne, cleared me up fast...wish I didn't screw it up by adding in stupid Clean and Clear scrubs thinking I should exfoliate. >_> It's been close to a year since I started and screwed it up, and I only use it for like 2 months or so, so I MIGHT jump back on it if I think I really need to, I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!

Edited by Joey T

I use a BHA (=SA) toner every morning. I use the AHA 2-3 times a week in the PM after cleansing.

I use either the Clean & Clean Deep Cleaning Astringentor the Equate brand version if I can find it. Both are 2%. Probably cheaper than Paula's and more easy to come by - WalMart or local pharmacy.

Definitely add moisturiser in the AM and PM.

Okay I have a few questions...

Is BHA any different than the products that just have SA in it? I've been on regimens like Proactiv and Skin ID that have SA products in it and it has not helped at all. So I don't wanna buy a BHA product if it's the same as SA.

Also after looking at Paula's site, I kinda wanted to buy the 2 products 2% BHA and 8% AHA. My plan was to use the BHA on my nose for blackheads and the AHA for red marks everywhere else. Does that sound fine?

Hm, so I've been using the AHA+ for about 4 days now. I'm applying it every night, one night as a moisturizer all around my face, and the other night as a spot treatment. I don't see any results yet, but I'm hoping within time it will help.

Oh and Card...I used Paula's choice 2% BHA a few months back, and was starting to get decent results, but my face was SO dry, I just couldnt use it anymore. So, I still have both BHA's that I ordered, so I'm thinking about doing what you're doing in a week or so...I also ordered Dan's cleanser again, I miss that stuff. I hope good things come along. All I really really want is for my cheeks to look normal again. They're very red and flushed looking during the day, from far away, and close up, clogged like a bastard. Ugh, I just want this to end. My forehead has little bumps everywhere that I feel like will never go away, but they are not nearly as important as getting my cheeks the way I want them.

Also, I need to know...how the hell do I get rid of the little flakes hanging out of my pores? I remember having this problem back when I was on the DKR. I can honestly sit in the front of the mirror and push them or scrap them out all day. I hate them so much, will the BHA get rid of them for me? :/

And Jay, I know that BHA is SA based, but differnet products have different ingredients. Paula's Choice is pretty good for blackheads, so give it a whirl, but be patient. Sounds like a good plan to me.

After the regimen initially cleared me up due to using crap products, I just switched to a single face scrub with 2% SA which just worked wonderfully, but i can't get it anymore. But i can say the 2% PC BHA does work great, I recently posted my 'keep clear' regimen so if you want check that out go for it. Really tho, considering I'm not a dermatologist you'll just have to experiment and find something that works for you. Good luck dood.

Hm, so I've been using the AHA+ for about 4 days now. I'm applying it every night, one night as a moisturizer all around my face, and the other night as a spot treatment. I don't see any results yet, but I'm hoping within time it will help.

Oh and Card...I used Paula's choice 2% BHA a few months back, and was starting to get decent results, but my face was SO dry, I just couldnt use it anymore. So, I still have both BHA's that I ordered, so I'm thinking about doing what you're doing in a week or so...I also ordered Dan's cleanser again, I miss that stuff. I hope good things come along. All I really really want is for my cheeks to look normal again. They're very red and flushed looking during the day, from far away, and close up, clogged like a bastard. Ugh, I just want this to end. My forehead has little bumps everywhere that I feel like will never go away, but they are not nearly as important as getting my cheeks the way I want them.

Also, I need to know...how the hell do I get rid of the little flakes hanging out of my pores? I remember having this problem back when I was on the DKR. I can honestly sit in the front of the mirror and push them or scrap them out all day. I hate them so much, will the BHA get rid of them for me? :/

And Jay, I know that BHA is SA based, but differnet products have different ingredients. Paula's Choice is pretty good for blackheads, so give it a whirl, but be patient. Sounds like a good plan to me.

You need to add gentle exfoliation.

Thanks alot for the help guys. I plan on adding the BHA back in sometime next week.

Cecelia...what exfoliators would you consider? I wanted the most gentle that won't interfere with my AHA+ regimen.

Thanks!

ive been using paulas bha 2% liquid for about 10 months now or longer at night because i use tazorac for my blackheads.i put the taz on my nose and cheeks and bha everywhere else.in the morning i use dans bp and i just started using the aha a couple weeks ago.

the cheek problem u mention is the exact same problem i have man.and those little flakes?ive had that exact same problem for years now its so annoying.when i went to my derm he used a comedone extractor to push some of the flakes or whatever out because he said it was some whitehead gunk that was stuck in there.but then the next day they were right back.im not sure if its dry skin or something else.

when i first started using the bha liquid my face would be dry as a mother.i tried using a few different lotions and it was still super dry especially around the mouth area.but then when i used some of dans moisturizer after applying the bha it worked wonders.dont get me wrong i still have dry skin but its not like patches of peeling skin like it used to be.so if u still wanna use the bha use dans lotion i think its the best stuff i ever tried.i just wish he didnt put any jojoba oil in it at all because it makes my skin more oily and shiny than normal and my skin is oily enough.

well got to go for now but stay in touch.

thanks for your help LFC2584. yeah when I used the BHA back then my face was SO cry, that I just stopped using it. i hated how dry it was. but i used to the BHA liquid last night for the first time in months, and my skin was a little bit dry after I washed the next morning, so tonight I washed and used Dans' AHA+. I hope I can keep up with this every other night and see the results I'm hoping for.

so about the little flakes sticking out of your pores...do you still have them? if not, what got rid of them? and if you do still have them, does anything help get them out of your pores? i'm hoping the bha does that job for me.

well keep in my mind whenever u use a new product it will take some time for your face to adjust to it.for me it took about a month or so with the bha liquid for it to adjust where i wasnt overly dry and breaking out more than usual.that aha stuff is powerful so be careful with it.

man the flakes are so annoying i still have them.i have them on my nose and cheeks where my pores are clogged up i havent found anything to get them to go away for good and ive tried lots of stuff.my main problems are my blackheads and my cheeks.i get the occasional zit now and then but its not like i have a huge pimple problem.come to think of it id rather have a zit problem than blackheads because they're so fricken hard to get rid of.ive been trying for years and they have barely budged and ive been on prescription retnoids.

well good luck let us know how the bha goes for ya.

Wow.. I have not been on this site since prolly early 2009. I was bored today and I thought do some bullshit and I ended up here.

My post is directed at Joey T (no offense or anything but I think we are almost in the same situation).

I stopped using DKR August 2009 and only used Paula's BHA Liquid 2% and the Gel sometimes.

I realized, I don't have pimples(I do get a zit or 2 every like 3rd week or so though) I have these clogged ass pores and oily skin. Also I get skin colored bumps that either turn into tiny zits or after a while the junk comes outs.

I saw your post on bread trimmers and I use one too and those small ass hairs under eyes piss me off too and the skin where my beard is smooth and it's just the part above(cheeks).

I graduated 2007 too lol.

Well, I think I will just get a haircut tomorrow... lol. I'm getting a free sample package from Mario Badescu soon so that should help with spot treating zits when they appear. But right now my main concern is my oily skin, clogged pores, and the odd pimple. If I could just eliminate oily skin all my issues would disappear.

I think you should use the BHA 1 night and then switch up the next day. Or you could use the BHA liquid during the day and AHA as a nighttime thing. I assume you are talking about Dan's AHA? I have that too but I haven't used it for a long time. I'm pretty sure you can use AHA/BHA without the DKR.

Overall my skin is pretty good but according to my standards can and will get better.. and I think that's what everyone wants as well.

Ah thanks for your input Rick. Yeah, I don't really have pimples at all. It's just all blackheads and little like bubbles, that seem like little clogged pores that are raised. The "bubbles" barely come to a whitehead, they usually just have a blackhead in them or if they're on my forehead, they just bleed if I pop them and go away after a few days. But my forehead seems like it's covered in little bumps and these bubble like bumps. Sucks -_- I can't seem to control it. The last thing I remember helping my forehead was Aczone, which I got from my derm. I think I may go back to him in a month or so, once this AHA/BHA has taken it's toll.

It's been a few weeks, so last night I added in the BHA Liquid to my regemin. After I washed in the morning, my skin was VERY dry and flakey. I peeled off some of the flakes and noticed alot of my pores had white flakes and gunk sticking out of them. I left my skin alone for most of the day, and I'm at work now, and looked in the mirror and noticed almost all my pores on my cheeks had white gunk/flakes sticking out.

Can someone tell me if that is my pores FINALLY unclogging? What would be the next best step? Would it be applying AHA to my face tonight like I usually would? I feel like now that the pores are letting out the gunk and that it's sorta stuck at the top of the pore...that the AHA will take care of the rest? I was also thinking I should give myself a steam facial before I wash up, what do you guys think? Hope someone can help me! Thank you!