Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
recoverme

What do you guys think about Dan's thoughts on Diet and Acne?

is he wrong and just trying to sell a product? or is he being sincere?

wrong ^^

Edited by EddieE

Mostly wrong. He's right that there isn't one particular food that can be proven to cause acne in everyone. That's individual and due to food intolerances. And calories and weight loss do affect insulin sensitivity and therefore hormones, therefor acne. But so do many other diet and lifestyle related habits. Not just calories.

I don't know why you'd think that. My ex husband gave himself diabetes from his terrible diet and lifestyle habits and he didn't consume that many calories and was not obese. Hardly overweight. But he was very sedentary, had poor sleep, no light exposure, and ate crappy food. He still does, but when he works out daily, he can keep his blood sugar down. A lot of recent research has found that physical activity and sleep perhaps play an even more important role in becoming insulin resistant.

And he's just like so many people here, throwing in his personal experience as proof of something. There's been plenty who've had the opposite experience. Who've cleared their skin via diet and stayed clear. I've gained weight from my lowest point since improving my diet and it did not worsen my acne.

And then he ends with dairy after saying there's no evidence that a particular food causes acne.

And while I know there are many ways dairy affects acne, it's impact is hardly noticeable in my acne. I tried avoiding dairy completely for months years ago with no noticeable affect. But low to moderate GL meals and habits cleared my skin quite quickly. Within 2 months of the day I drank my last soda and began making improvements, I realized for the first time since adolescence that my skin was completely clear.

Edited by alternativista

I think Dan really believes what he is saying, but that doesn't mean its true. I think the regimen must work really well for him, as his skin looks real good and he realy doesn't look like he could be a very healthy eater. Maybe he is, but he is a little on the chubby side to be a healthy eater. When I started eating healthy, I lost so much weight that everyone thought I was sick. I went from 175lbs to about 142lbs in a few months.

But Dans regimen used to keep me real clear, until one day bam, started breaking out while still doing the regimen.

Mostly wrong. He's right that there isn't one particular food that can be proven to cause acne in everyone. That's individual and due to food intolerances. And calories and weight loss do affect insulin sensitivity and therefore hormones, therefor acne. But so do many other diet and lifestyle related habits. Not just calories.

I don't know why you'd think that. My ex husband gave himself diabetes from his terrible diet and lifestyle habits and he didn't consume that many calories and was not obese. Hardly overweight. But he was very sedentary, had poor sleep, no light exposure, and ate crappy food. He still does, but when he works out daily, he can keep his blood sugar down. A lot of recent research has found that physical activity and sleep perhaps play an even more important role in becoming insulin resistant.

And he's just like so many people here, throwing in his personal experience as proof of something. There's been plenty who've had the opposite experience. Who've cleared their skin via diet and stayed clear. I've gained weight from my lowest point since improving my diet and it did not worsen my acne.

And then he ends with dairy after saying there's no evidence that a particular food causes acne.

And while I know there are many ways dairy affects acne, it's impact is hardly noticeable in my acne. I tried avoiding dairy completely for months years ago with no noticeable affect. But low to moderate GL meals and habits cleared my skin quite quickly. Within 2 months of the day I drank my last soda and began making improvements, I realized for the first time since adolescence.

I think Dan really believes what he is saying, but that doesn't mean its true. I think the regimen must work really well for him, as his skin looks real good and he realy doesn't look like he could be a very healthy eater. Maybe he is, but he is a little on the chubby side to be a healthy eater. When I started eating healthy, I lost so much weight that everyone thought I was sick. I went from 175lbs to about 142lbs in a few months.

But Dans regimen used to keep me real clear, until one day bam, started breaking out while still doing the regimen.

And while I know there are many ways dairy affects acne, it's impact is hardly noticeable in my acne. I tried avoiding dairy completely for months years ago with no noticeable affect. But low to moderate GL meals and habits cleared my skin quite quickly. Within 2 months of the day I drank my last soda and began making improvements, I realized for the first time since adolescence.

There are good numbers of people who eat junk and yet, still have good-looking skin. Not as good as him.. because he use BP which might help slightly.

So he is wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong.

I suggest to listen to Dr.Fuhrman. :) Not this guy.

Edited by EddieE

That was a helpful video actually. When he talks about calories effecting acne more than what you're actually eating, I think he's onto something there. I noticed that when I eat less, no matter what it is, I clear up more. When I eat all day long, even when it's healthy stuff, I break out more. Ooooh.

Yea I break out more when I eat a lot. When I eat like a burger for breakfast, and another one for dinner. I never really broke out. I drink a lot of soda too. I broke out more when I stayed at home more often. I ate a lot when I stayed home.

So if overeating causes or promotes acne, how much food a day should we be eating? Is 1 meal a day enough for our body? Also if this is the case, how come I don't see more obese people with acne? Just a few thoughts...

That was a helpful video actually. When he talks about calories effecting acne more than what you're actually eating, I think he's onto something there.

Calories don't affect acne more than what you are eating. Calories are just another way diet affects acne.

Edited by alternativista

Dan, despite what his followers want to believe, is a business man. He makes a good profit from selling his products to people - whether they work or not. It's probably how he earns his living. His seemingly compassionate personality simply charms people whether or not it's sincere, making him seem mildly more credible to a lot of folks. We're more apt to buy something from someone who appears to care than from someone who blatantly wants to sell a product.

As for Dan's video, as pointed out, it's seems somewhat hypocritical, yet does implore business tact. How? First off, he starts by addressing something that is becoming an increasingly popular method of acne control: diet. To encourage acne control through diet would inherently decrease profit because he'd be selling less product. So, he pulls out the age old dermatologist saying "There is no concrete proof..." which, to me, reads as "There is no concrete proof...so keep using BP." On the flip side, he makes his claims more "credible" by stating that he TRIED one of the many diets claimed to have helped acne and by stating that it didn't necessarily help in the long run. He then offers his own calorie theory as kind of an afterthought - making it seem slightly less important. Coupled with his personal "experience" and the lack of "concrete proof" he definitely makes it difficult for someone to want to toss out their BP and give diet a try. BP, after all, has scientific backing and concrete evidence supporting it. (Then again, so doesn't a low GL diet...)

Calories are just a piece of the puzzle and only matter on a personal level. Someone with acne could eat 3,000 HEALTHY calories a day, and not have any problems. Someone else may eat the same, and it could cause acne. I definitely think the foods you put into your body are more likely to affect it than how much food you put into your body.

Oh how I love the cupcake video. I have to disagree though. I am positive dairy breaks me out with cystic acne. As for marketing, I don't know. Dan has always seemed genuine to me and it is not even necessary to use his products to do the regimen.

Edited by Soggy Waffle

Oh how I love the cupcake video. I have to disagree though. I am positive dairy breaks me out with cystic acne. As for marketing, I don't know. Dan has always seemed genuine to me and it is not even necessary to use his products to do the regimen.

Which is exactly why he is successful as a businessman. It's not difficult to seem lovable and genuine to rope in potential consumers. Offering alternative products only makes him seem that much more likable - and when you're more likable, people are more likely to buy from you as opposed to even his recommended items.

Not saying Dan is a bad guy or that he ISN'T genuine, just that it's not the most difficult thing in the world to pretend to be.

I don't think Dan is as cold-calculating of a businessman as many of you are saying. I think that if anyone ever came up with a sure-fire natural "cure" for acne, he would be all about it. I've heard/seen him say several times that he would love to be able to wean off BP eventually. The fact is, his regimen does work to mask the symptoms of acne for many people, so he really is selling a legitimate product that produces real results for people. I truly think he wants to help people. Let's not forget, he's paying for these servers and this very forum (holistic) to be able to even exist.

That being said, I don't agree with what he has to say about diet and acne. However, I don't think he is stating false information simply to back up his business and product though. It would be nice if he maybe popped his head in over here every now and then though right?