Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I really need to get serious about my diet because I am going through a difficult/stressful time in my life right now and I am an emotional eater. My acne has flared up horribly and I've tried to put together a diet/regimen that will help me restore my health. I'm really confused about ratios though and would really appreciate some input. I tried to edit my day based on my tastes/times of the day I'm likely to emotional eat.

Wake up at about 9am: Do a half hour of yoga, make a kettle of green tea sweetened with a little bit of stevia (about 3 cups of this)

12-1 pm: After drinking my green tea and allowing it to 'flush' my body a bit, drink a green smoothie with 1 cup greens, 1/2 cup mixed berries, 1 banana, splash soy milk. Eat half a cup of homemade egg salad (eggs, olive oil, garlic, parsley) and a handful of nuts and dark chocolate. Take fish oil and possible a B-vitamin, vitamin D, calcium, multi (where can I find one without iodine?).

Drink a glass or two of water between lunch and dinner.

5pm: Grilled vegetables and an ounce or two of grilled chicken with 2 tablespoons almond butter

Work out in the evening (alternate/mix cardio, strength training, yoga)

After workout (about 9pm): a little bit of fruit salad (1/2 banana, apple, papaya, whatever we have at the moment) and handful of nuts.

between 10-12: drink about 3-4 glasses of water and go to bed.

I think I'm eating too much fat but I'm not really sure. What kind of balance should I be going for?

I'm also going to start taking an antibiotic from my derm along with evening tretinoin (retin-a) and a cream she prescribed me for the AM that's suppossed to be moisturize and reduce inflammation (haven't picked it up yet so I'm not sure what it is).

Thanks!

Avoid green tea as it has been shown to increase DHT by 194 % http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/133/2/516#SEC2

Avoid stevia (causes hormonal problems) and rather use brown sugar or better yet no sugar at all

Avoid drinking from plastic bottles (BPA fluctuates your hormones)

Low fat and low carb diet is the best

Olive oil will certainly help your body, stick with it for 1 year and see the difference

Nuts have high omega 6 which can offset the omega 3 balance

Hope it all works out for you, good luck

Woah woah your diets fine.

Just avoid all vegetabale oils high in polyunsaturated fats.

Your fat is fine i get about 120g+ a day.

I say a bit more veg and that is perfect.

How dark is your dark chocolate.

Do you eat fish?

Thanks so much for your responses--I eat 75% dark but have never experimented with any darker. I also sometimes have Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa once in a while. I eat fish rarely because me family isn't big on it. Is it enough to take fish oil daily?

Thanks so much for your responses--I eat 75% dark but have never experimented with any darker. I also sometimes have Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa once in a while. I eat fish rarely because me family isn't big on it. Is it enough to take fish oil daily?

75% and up is safe. And yes Fish oil is much better.

I am certainly going to get myself a fish oil.

Edited by EddieE

I suppose 75%+ isnt too bad, quite good.

I eat raw cocoa nibs, its an acquired taste but i like it

Well if you cant get fish then the supplement is fine

but try get fish when you can :)

I recommend you look into the paleo diet. What you have right now is almost a paleo diet. I have found it is really good for acne.