Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2rttn4u

Black People TCA peel...Anyone?

Hey Gals, Im soo happy to find that you gals are on the board because this is really helpful, By the way, I saw all of your pictures and even though there are those pesky acne problems you all are really pretty, aurelia, rotten and rosy. I know that I am very face conscious and there are days when I feel like walking aroung with a burlap sac on my face, but remember that acne doesnt make you any less beautiful. biggrin.gif .

Rosy, I have a sunblock thats like SPF 50, I need total protection. :wink:

RoRo - I use Clinique Acne Solutions Antibacterial soap to wash 1st

follow up with Clinique Acne Solutions Foaming Face Cleanser

apply Differin Gel on face and neck (arms too)

apply Lustra AF 4% face and neck (arms too)

(morning only) Neutragena 45SPF nongreasy SunBlock

I follow this routine twice daily and I have had wonderful results. With the exception of not being able to get rid of the really dark spots it has been the only thing that has worked for me. Beleive me when I tell you...I have tried and had prescriptions for everything!

LadyBug - I just thought of something too when you said that.....we need SUNBLOCK not SUNSCREEN! If you use any of those fading creams this is especially true. and thanks for complement smile.gif

Hey Gals, Im soo happy to find that you gals are on the board because this is really helpful, By the way, I saw all of your pictures and even though there are those pesky acne problems you all are really pretty, aurelia, rotten and rosy. I know that I am very face conscious and there are days when I feel like walking aroung with a burlap sac on my face, but remember that acne doesnt make you any less beautiful. biggrin.gif .

Rosy, I have a sunblock thats like SPF 50, I need total protection. :wink:

RoRo - I use Clinique Acne Solutions Antibacterial soap to wash 1st

follow up with Clinique Acne Solutions Foaming Face Cleanser

apply Differin Gel on face and neck (arms too)

apply Lustra AF 4% face and neck (arms too)

(morning only) Neutragena 45SPF nongreasy SunBlock

I follow this routine twice daily and I have had wonderful results. With the exception of not being able to get rid of the really dark spots it has been the only thing that has worked for me. Beleive me when I tell you...I have tried and had prescriptions for everything!

LadyBug - I just thought of something too when you said that.....we need SUNBLOCK not SUNSCREEN! If you use any of those fading creams this is especially true. and thanks for complement smile.gif

:ph34r: still scared about posting the pictures. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Burlap sac, yes. :twisted: . Ok, This is my prob: I dont have acne, but hormonal breakouts and as soon as my face is on the verge of looking pimpless, my time of the month comes and my face is attacked by little monsters. The breatouts arent really that bad, I just have an extremly high face standard. The scars are what bother me the most. My skin is lighter so having a dark scar is really noticable. Since you all have been trying things for many many years, I was wondering if you found something over the counter that works. I like having options, Thanx. rolleyes.gif

:ph34r:  still scared about posting the pictures. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  Burlap sac, yes. :twisted: . Ok, This is my prob: I dont have acne, but hormonal breakouts and as soon as my face is on the verge of looking pimpless, my time of the month comes and my face is attacked by little monsters. The breatouts arent really that bad, I just have an extremly high face standard. The scars are what bother me the most. My skin is lighter so having a dark scar is really noticable. Since you all have been trying things for many many years, I was wondering if you found something over the counter that works. I like having options, Thanx. rolleyes.gif

Awww...go ahead post em'...we all in the same boat B)  I was hesitant at first too, but I'm glad I did.  smile.gif  It also is good to see where you started andwhat kind of progress you made. On top of that it's easier for people to visualize exactly what kind of problem you having.

Thats the thing, my face isnt that Bad, I can clear up the pimples, its just those dang spots. My hormonal breakouts arent that bad, thats just the time when I do breakout. Im weird. I do have before pic, but Im experimenting right now <_< so, I'll consider posting biggrin.gif . My skin isnt bad enough for BirthC, but thanx for the suggestion.

What products did you gals have luck with in the past, even though it may not work for you right now?

2rttn4u,

I saw a pic on a dermatoloy/cosmetic surgery site that showed a before and after of a non-ablative laser done on dark/black skin and it was a really nice improvement of shallow scars/marks. i've had IPl done and it did help with discoloration and improving the marks but I did not have laser done that was nonabalative (may be it would have given me better results???) Anyway, the IPL costs a lot (like 250-500 dollars per treatment although i think for a series it's a discounted price) and you should go to a derm who's done a lot of the treatment (on hundreds of people) because the wavelengths have to be adjusted depending on if the derm is stimulating coillagen, removing discoloration, etc....I'm in NY >Dr. Karyn Grossman did mine.

I know someone who was using something for scars ( Not sure what it was, sorry) and it made her skin extremely blotchy. She had a darker complection with spots that were a couple of shades lighter than her skin sad.gif . I havent tried the ACV, but I did use the tape method and it worked for me.

Your left and right side look so much better! user posted image It looks like the dark spots are fading, which is always a good thing. I think what you`re doing is definitely helping. Look into the peel and IPL, it might help BUT make sure it`s gonna have a positive effect on your skin tone.

THANKS!! Yeah the right side really looks sooo much better now. Sorry but what Is IPL? ( I know I should know this). rolleyes.gif

I want to save the peel for the last straw. Something about the lactic peels or any peel just scares me.... smile.gif

Aurelia

Yeah, having people who understand is awesome. You can try nuetrogena clear pore night time treatment as well as vaseline. B) I have heard about the over the counter peels that are more gentle. ( I am personally scared of the peels) OH, but there are saops that act as peels, my friend had one, Ill ask her about it. She has darker skin and it didnt mess her up. Ill let ya know.

Yeah, having people who understand is awesome. You can try nuetrogena clear pore night time treatment as well as vaseline. B)  I have heard about the over the counter peels that are more gentle. ( I am personally scared of the peels) OH, but there are saops that act as peels, my friend had one, Ill ask her about it.  She has darker skin and it didnt mess her up. Ill let ya know.

Im really interested in black opal as well. NE body know about it? Im a little younger than the rest of you gals, but I always remember hearing about it. Clear pore is a night time gel and it truely does help. I have never even heard about ti before on the board ( Strange). Aurelia, what is in retin a? Its seems that many people have had positive results.

Im really interested in black opal as well. NE body know about it? Im a little younger than the rest of you gals, but I always remember hearing about it.  Clear pore is a night time gel and it truely does help. I have never even heard about ti before on the board ( Strange). Aurelia, what is in retin a? Its seems that many people have had positive results.

this is great

i used the neutrogena clear pore gel at night and the black opal fade gel in the morning for 3 weeks straight, before my high school senior pictures. i think my skin was the clearest it had ever been. both really helped to clear my dark spots. i used the neutrogena acne wash at the same time. then i got lazy and stopped. doubt.gif i cant use the acne wash anymore bcus it breaks me out in a rash. i guess my skin is more sensitive now that i'm older

i hear too many side effects about hydroquine so i stopped that... make sure you use sunblock with it. now i just keep using the clear pore treatment and sunblock in the morning. My spots have been fading in a month or 2 at most instead of a year. if someone had told me to just use sunblock 5-10 years ago, what a difference life would have been. People of color may not be prone to wrinkles, but i think the sun will show a different effect on our skin. Maybe thats why we're so prone to all those little moles around our eyes.

anyway, i dont have pictures either but my skin is about the same complexion as 2rttn4u. my pores are a little bigger and i have a couple of rolling and ice pick scars too.

i emailed that Dr. Rappaport in NJ about using TCA cross on black skin. they seem to think its ok. its expensive though $800. so maybe they just want my money. I'm not ready to experiment with that yet. So i'll experiment with cheaper methods, like the ACV toner and maybe that avon peel.

and is IPL the same as epi-facial or photofacial. there's this office in NY that seems to train a lot of people http://www.epifacial.com/procedure.html. i dont know how much they charge though

lets keep this thread going........

Goodmorning All,

I had my followup last night and I got some info on what may be better for some of us to try.....

OK, for me the TCA did not have a good effect (no shit huh?) lol So that's out!

- Lactic Acid peels- no good for black skin, it will not have much of an effect (according to my doc) it is more effective on european skin types.

- Glycolic and Salicylic peels are more effective on black skin. The cost in my area (VA) is $75 per treatment, avg is 3-6 treatments depending on discoloration. (best option)

- IPL /N Lite/Photo Facial etc... They are all just different brand names of the same procedure (depends on which your doc uses. Good thing is this is an option for our skin you just need to go to someone who has used it on black people before. There is another laser procedure that has been used on black skin to remove hair (just a higher intensity), it's a good idea to consult with that person to find out what effects it had on the skin. The fear in black skin is keloiding so it makes people very scared to dea with our skin.

The cost is reasonable enough (depending on your finances) $250 per treatment averaging $250 per treatment. Most have about 3-5 treatments, again depending on your discoloration.

This is promising for me....I am going to do the IPL. My doc wants me to wait until the fall when I am filled back in and at my lightest color. Until then though I think I will try the the other peels mentioned above and depending on the result, I may not even have to do the IPL except on my arms.

Anyway, I hope this has helped. smile.gif

Flowergirl thank God for you! Finally someone who knows about the gel! and Black Opal. So the Black Opal actually works, which fade gel, since there are so many. biggrin.gif . Do you think it'll work for me, my skin is on the lighter side? :think:

Flowergirl, so you use the nuetrogena gel in the morning?

Aurelia thanx for the Retin A info, I always wondered about it.

Rotten thank for the peel info, my skin isnt scared enough for it ( :blink: Peels still scare me :ph34r: biggrin.gif .)

Just so I dont leave anyone out, Hi Chole and RORO biggrin.gif

Black opal also has a soap and bp cream, what do you all know about that. Do they have a website? I shall go check and be back before tea time.

lady bug, i used the neutrogena gel at night

and i think the black opal was in the gel form too. here it is:

http://www.cherylburgess.com/miva/merchant...ategory_Code=FP

http://www.michaelstokes.com/cherylburgess/diana.htm

when i used it i was actually in the house for the 2 weeks anyway. so i didnt have to deal with too much sun exposure. i think the key was using it consistantly.

i've been using pure aloe vera gel, which has been working just as fast. Plus it dries the blemish right up

biggrin.gif Gee, thanx for the info. When you say pure aloe vera, so you use the plant or something over the counter. Where do you find pure aloe?

Your left and right side look so much better! user posted image It looks like the dark spots are fading, which is always a good thing. I think what you`re doing is definitely helping. Look into the peel and IPL, it might help BUT make sure it`s gonna have a positive effect on your skin tone.

THANKS!! Yeah the right side really looks sooo much better now. Sorry but what Is IPL? ( I know I should know this). rolleyes.gif

I want to save the peel for the last straw. Something about the lactic peels or any peel just scares me.... smile.gif

Aurelia

Morning! well, actually it`s closer to 1pm here......

hi aurelia! *waves*

This is what IPL is:

Intense Pulsed Light: For increased effectiveness, these products are frequently used before and after Laser surgery or dermabrasion or Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments. Especially in ethnic patients or persons with darker skin tones (significant melanin presence). Usually, standard hyperpigmentations (even freckles) and sun damage can be removed with Intense Pulsed Light without the use of hydroquinone or peels. You may have heard of PhotoDerm or FotoFacial/PhotoFacial; these machines produce intense of flashes of light capable or removing pigmented areas effectively.

I found that on the net when 2rttn4u asked about it, but it`s not much. I did read about Nlite laser which is the same thing: it`s a laser that zaps away dark spots, active acne even, etc. You should look it up. I heard nothing but good...so far

hi chloe, 2rrtn4u, flowergirl, lady bug....am I forgetting anyone?

my sister`s on panoxyl 5%...is it any good? She gets good results from it, less oily skin, less breakouts, but I worry that it might be too harsh at 5%. Has anyone tried it? Her skin color is much lighter than mine, looks more like the latina in our fam.

WOW 2rttn4u Thanks for all of that info! I hope your next line of treatment is a success but to me looks like I am SOL!! I was ok with the thought of the lactic peel but anything else really scares me.

Well, I went to Rite Aid here in DC and they carry the ENTIRE Black Opal line!! I didn't get anything but I saw the fade gel. Can I use that Gel during the Day? At night I use Retin A and can't add anything else to my night routine. I think I will look at Target and see if they carry Black opal too. It seems reasonable enough in price at Rite Aid but I am a Penny pincher!! :blink:

For those of you shopping around for the products...don't forget about eBay

http://search.ebay.com/black-opal_Health-B...orecategoriesZ1

Aurelia