Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
2rttn4u

Black People TCA peel...Anyone?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and I recently had a TCA peel done. It was 12.5% on my face and 16% on my arms. The goal was to get rid of hyperpigmentation on my face and arms from years of acne scarring. My pigment in my face has just started to come back and on my arms it is still looking like it will take some time.

I was wondering if there are any Black people who have had this done and what the results were.

Thanks

I´ve never done it, but I read that peels don´t work as well because they can darken the skin even more on black people. I´m not sure if that´s even true cuz I´ve never seen anyone who had it done, so I´ve never seen any bad results . How is your progress going? Sounds like it´s going well! You should post pics, let us see the progress!

user posted image

I'm at work right now but as soon as I get home I will post some. I am concerned because my arms have not gotten back to the orignal pigment yet and I was wanting to get some feedback from others who may have done it. I had already tried everything under the sun to try and fade the scars but nothing seems to work.

The peel did ok on my face, it it still a little scarred but I'm told by the derm. that this will fade.

I don't know for sure, but I have read that it depends on how dark the skin is - any ethnicity.

I read that the darker the skin, the more chance of pigment damage that doesn't return to normal.

I am going to try a glycolic peel soon, I have olive skin (mediterranean).

I may go for TCA if I still need it.

I would love to see your pix to see the progress.

best of luck

lol.gif

Ok, I have posted 22 pics in the gallery of me before and now 12 days after the procedure. Some are quite graphic and I look like a skinned cat in a few of them so look at your own risk! :unsure:

oh man.. i'm so sorry that tca didn't work for you -- that's some powerful stuff you put on your face! i'm sticking to lactic's and glycolics..

there's a laser out there that deals with hypo-pigmentation. i forget what it's called.

There are plenty of laser treatments available, unfortunately I have been told by numerous Docs that they are not a viable solution on African American skin. It would lead to even worse scarring.

I may have to try doing some spot treatments, maybe like some are doing with that cross TCA. I just want to see how this prgresses before I try again. I still have some time to go before I fully recover from this.

At least there was some improvement to my face skin texture that I am pleased with. But my goal was to rid myself of those dark marks and be able to go without makeup.

Even though I can't go without it yet, it does look better on my skin when I put it on. As for my arms it will take months probably before they heal. I have hope though....

I am Black and I was thinking of doing a lactic peel soon. I was on Dan's Reg but stopped it and I am now on Retin A Micro.

Your pics look painful sad.gif Is your face looking better now, are you seeing improvements in the lightening of the scars?

sorry I don't have any advice for you.

Aurelia

Aurelia,

That's ok on the advice. I have tried so many things to try and combat this problem that it is just one more thing that I can add to the list! confused.gif

The 12 day picture was just this past Sunday. Everyday I get more pigment back on my arms. My face has actually healed pretty good. I was on some antibiotics for a urinary tract infection and I had a small breakout but the Differin gel quiclky cleared that up. I'm disappointed that the peel did not really clear up my darker spots as much as I had hoped, but they did smooth out the dark raised bumps.

I am going to go back to using my Lustra AF fade cream as soon as the doc says its ok. That work s good for my overall complexion so I will see in time.

You know the most painful part of the process was when she actually put the peel on my face. I opted not to have the anesthesia because I usually do pretty good with pain, but if I get another done I will definately get anesthesia! :lol: It felt like I was in hell!!!! lol After it was donr though there was no pain at all though. I just kept the Bacitracin on and the skin started to kind of come off when it was ready to peel.

So what kind of info do you have on the Lactic peel? Is it like a TCA or milder? Is it good for Black skin?

You'd have to ask one of the *experts* here but I think it is a lot milder than the TCA! and after I posted my pics (a while back) a few people recommended it for me and said it was fine for black skin. I just have some dark spots that I want GONE nothing raised just nasty dark spots.

I was using that hydroquine prescribed bleaching cream then hear that was unsafe so now I am not doing anything for the scars at all except for using the Retin A and toning my skin with Apple Cider Vinegar 2 times a day.

I am happy that you face is healing up well, do you notice a DRAMATIC change in the lightening of the scars? Were you down for the count and in bed for Days after the treatment?

Aurelia

I'm disappointed that the peel did not really clear up my darker spots as much as I had hoped, but they did smooth out the dark raised bumps.

I am going to go back to using my Lustra AF fade cream as soon as the doc says its ok. That work s good for my overall complexion so I will see in time.

So what kind of info do you have on the Lactic peel? Is it like a TCA or milder? Is it good for Black skin?

I was using that hydroquine prescribed bleaching cream then hear that was unsafe so now I am not doing anything for the scars at all except for using the Retin A and toning my skin with Apple Cider Vinegar 2 times a day.

I am happy that you face is healing up well, do you notice a DRAMATIC change in the lightening of the scars?  Were you down for the count and in bed for Days after the treatment?

I don`t know too much about peels and such but I picked up some info off the net for you, things you can look into or avoid:

I`ll keep looking for more!

WOW thanks for all of that GREAT information. See my think is that I don't want to over-do it on my face...lol! some people say that Hydroquinone 4% is perfectly ok to use but others swear against it so Its a catch-22. When I was using it faithfully (every night) I was slowly seeing improvements.

Here is a longggggggggg thread on Apple Cider Vinegar... it is working ok so far but not as fast as the cream http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=4885 you can read through it but I think the meat of the message is in the 1st post...no ill affects to it just start off diluted and move up from there.

I'm hoping that the Retin A, ACV and is I decide to go back to the Hydroquinone won't be too much for my skin. My skin isn't sensitive but I am worried that the Hydroquinone cream with leave light blotches rather than lightening the spot.

Just call me paranoid shock.gif

Ohh and I am 34 battling this CRAP so don't feel bad about the age...lol my goal is to be one Hot Cleared skin Black Woman by the age of 36...LOL :dance:

WOW thanks for all of that GREAT information. See my think is that I don't want to over-do it on my face...lol!  some people say that Hydroquinone 4% is perfectly ok to use but others swear against it so Its a catch-22. When I was using it faithfully (every night) I was slowly seeing improvements.

Here is a longggggggggg thread on Apple Cider Vinegar... it is working ok so far but not as fast as the cream http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=4885 you can read through it but I think the meat of the message is in the 1st post...no ill affects to it just start off diluted and move up from there.

I'm hoping that the Retin A, ACV and is I decide to go back to the Hydroquinone won't be too much for my skin.  My skin isn't sensitive but I am worried that the Hydroquinone cream with leave light blotches rather than lightening the spot.

Just call me paranoid  shock.gif

Ohh and I am 34 battling this CRAP so don't feel bad about the age...lol my goal is to be one Hot Cleared skin Black Woman by the age of 36...LOL  :dance:

Ohh and I am 34 battling this CRAP so don't feel bad about the age...lol my goal is to be one Hot Cleared skin Black Woman by the age of 36...LOL  :dance:

Hi everyone, I too am an african american and I a few scars. (Scars seem to be worse than the active pimple! :angry: . I havent really tried the many scar creams that have been discussed but, I just want to remind everyone to be super dooper cautious about what you put on your face as well as how long you use it. I know someone who was using something for scars ( Not sure what it was, sorry) and it made her skin extremely blotchy. She had a darker complection with spots that were a couple of shades lighter than her skin sad.gif . I havent tried the ACV, but I did use the tape method and it worked for me. I have also found that nuetrogena clear pore night time gel really does help the spots to fade, No Joke. Vaseline is suppose to also. I havent check out everyones scar pictures, but I will right now. I hope I dont sound ignorant when I say that I dont think that some of those medications were geared for skin like ours :think: .

I hope I dont sound ignorant when I say that I dont think that some of those medications were geared for skin like ours :think: .

I totally agree with you about the sunblock, if I had a dime for every time a black person told me that they didnt need sun block because of the color of thier skin I'd be a gajillionare :clap: .So many people think that sun block, is a sun tan preventer, when its a protector. I hope that in the future there will be more products for people of color in general. It makes a person really frustrated because you'll read a post and get excited about something that will work, then later find out that it is dangerous to certain skin complections <_< . My goodness.

I totally agree with you about the sunblock, if I had a dime for every time a black person told me that they didnt need sun block because of the color of thier skin I'd be a gajillionare  :clap: .So many people think that sun block, is a sun tan preventer, when its a protector. I hope that in the future there will be more products for people of color in general. It makes a person really frustrated because you'll read a post and get excited about something that will work, then later find out that it is dangerous to certain skin complections <_< . My goodness.

I checked out the pictures and I am soo sorry about the effects that the peel had on your skin. I shall pray for you :angel: On the bright side, it is clearing up biggrin.gif