Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetsfan12

Anybody have any comments on Dr. Rappaport in NJ?

Hi all. I am new here. I have been researching the site for about 2 months now and finally decided to become a member. Ok heres the deal. I have been off accutane for 9 months I have been using retin a micro .004 for about 4 months now and cant really tell if im seeing results. Also I have been using vitamins and c scape serum everyday. From looking at tons of pictures online I would say my scars are a 5, 10 being the worst. I went to Dr. Rappaport for his free consultation. Since I have rolling scars on my cheeks and some red marks that are indented he suggested first subsision, fraxel and then rolling all in the same visit. The cost was crazy but hey, what are you gonna do. My question is has anybody has any success with this guy or should i just keep my money and buy a nice motorcycle. Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

I went to rappaort for subscision and fraxel.

My decision to do something about my acne scars came about quickly when I had some free time. So I didn't do much searching around. The other dermatologists I called had long waiting lists. One thing you can say about Rappaort, his operation is well run. It was easy to schedule an appointment with him. The more patients the more $, lol.

I think Rappaort is ok but as other have mentioned he's very expensive. He can be a bit brusque and some people don't like that. I have found other dermatologists to act similarly so I didn't care. If you're looking for a really empathetic doctor who will sit and talk with you he's not the one.

I do think he knows what he's doing and the bottom line is, I saw improvements in my scarring. Don't listen to any of the %s he gives you, that will get your hopes up too high. If he says you will improve 80% to you it will only seem like 25%. Almost any procedure he reccomends to you will probably involve the non-ablative lasers which he can charge you lot's of money for. I'm not saying that the lasers are totally useless but read around. If you have anything more than very mild scarring the non-ablative fraxel lasers are ususally not money well spent.

To the OP: You have rolling scars that are a 5/10. Subcision is very good for rolling scars. At first I was disappointed with subscion but after a few months I saw some improvement. Dermarolling will probably be as effective or more effective than the non-ablative fraxel laser. If you have time to look around, find a decent doctor that will offer you a good deal on a course of subscion and dermarolling.

I have been to Dr.R a couple times but never had any treatments done. I simply could not afford it..I know some people who have been treated by him and the results were not bad. Worth his prices?? hard to say. I guess it depends on how you respond to the treatments..If money is not an option then he may be the way to go..By the way, he was going to charge me roughly $5k for two rounds of subcision and two rounds of laser.

I know in NJ it is very hard to find any dr's who perform this kind of treatment out side of Dr.R My advice is no matter who you choose to treat your scars. Be very upfront with what your expectations are. Do not be affraid to ask any questions you may have. These guys are going to charge yu alot of money, you have every right to ask any and all questions and express your concerns ect..I feel being as open as possible and having great communication with your Dr. will help you achieve the best work he can give you..Good luck, keep us posted.

Kat 123----- For the first session Of Subcision+fraxel+rolling it was 850 for the subcision, 1300 for the fraxel, and 30 for the rolling. Hes gonna show you a big book of before and after photos and let me tell you, they all pretty much suck. I couldnt believe it. Youll see. He recommened a second and third session and quoted me for those as well. the only difference was that the second fraxel is now 900 and the third fraxel was 650. Subscsion was still 850 all 3 sessions and rolling 30 for all three sessions. Im really confused. He told me that the redness will go away after 4 days tops. But doing some research on here i seen some people pretty red for a long time.

Pogo. Do you recommened I go ahead with this? I dont understand why they dont say ok we'll try subcsion first see how that does, and then do fraxel? And why not try rolling first? I guess becasue thats the cheapest, lol. I shoulda been a doctor. Could you tell me a little bit about the procedure. Like were you red for a long time, pain and stuff like that. Thanks.

I heard he's decent.

How much did he quote you for the subcision? Do you have to wait until a year has passed since you've been on tane?

Yes you do have to wait a year after accutan, and the subscision was 850. each visit for 3 sessions

I heard he's decent.

How much did he quote you for the subcision? Do you have to wait until a year has passed since you've been on tane?

Yes you do have to wait a year after accutan, and the subscision was 850. each visit for 3 sessions

$850 seems very high for subcision. Is that per scar or for all?

So you do have to wait a year for subcicion, then, that sucks.

Edited by Anti - Em

I dont want fraxel. I had a fractionated ebrium laser done three times and I dont think it did alot for my scars. I really want to try subsicion and tca. I wonder if he will preform them with out the laser.

Iv'e heard of tca on here but Dr. rappaport didnt even mention it. He told me i have rolling scars an subscision and fraxel is the best. What is tca?

Iv'e heard of tca on here but Dr. rappaport didnt even mention it. He told me i have rolling scars an subscision and fraxel is the best. What is tca?

TCA is probably not going to help with rolling scars. They normally work best for icepick (and boxcar, I believe.)

jetsfan I can't make the decision for you.

Like starlite said, TCA isn't for rolling scars.

I agree with munsoned, be upfront with your dr. Don't be afraid to ask questions or insist on what you want. Do your research and know what you're getting into. It's your money and your face.

If subsicion and rolling are all you want, call and ask Dr. Rapp if he'll do it. If he won't, call other derms and see what they offer. Dr. Rapp will probably tell you that he finds that subsicion followed by Fraxel Restore work in a symbiotic way to provide the best best results or some line like that. It may be true, it may not be, I don't know. If you do a search you will find a lot of people have been disappointed with Fraxel Restore. Yet, some have found it worth it.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with a clear-cut answer. I will say that I think subsicion and dermarolling give you the most bang for your buck.

The subsicion will leave you bruised. I had subsicion on my temples, so it looked like I had black and blue eyes. Fraxel Restore leaves you with a red face for 3-4 days. Derarolling if done aggressively will probably require more downtime than Fraxel Restore.

I don't want to sound macho but the pain wasn't a big deal for me. Subsicion is a little freaky bc they are sticking needles under your skin and moving them around to break up the scar tissue. I hope you aren't afraid of needles, haha. Fraxel Restore wasn't too bad especially since they numb you with emla prior to the procedure. The smell of burning skin is a bit disconcerting. Restore isn't as bad as the ablative lasers which are more painful. The dermarolling I do on myself is probably the most painful bc I don't have medical grade emla.

As a jets fan you won't have any trouble dealing with everything, you're used to pain.

pogo thanks for your help. as far as bang for your buck goes i dont really care about the money. No im not rich its just having acne scars is TERRIBLE. The doctor pretty much has me by the balls. they know you want to get rid of them and that we'll pay the price. it seems the more and more research i do on this site the more confused i am on the subject. Its really tuff to find before and after photos of people on here who have done the combo. I wish there was a part dedicated to photos, and not the toched up ones either you see on google.