Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mlle.nathalie

Just started Doxycycline + Retin-A .025%... Any tips and suggestions?

Hey guys, it's a long time I've been on these forums!

Anyhow, I went to my doctor (pediatrician, as I'm only 17) for the first time to address my acne issues. The moment I hit puberty, around age 11, my skin started breaking out. As I got older, I learned how to manage my acne so that it is moderate at most times. However, my acne has gotten worse over the last few months and it has changed the times it appears. I always got it before I menstruated, and now I break out the worst after.

So I was prescribed Doxycycline (100 mg, twice a day) and Retin-A .025% (at night) and I'm wondering if I should change my regular routine to work with my Rx meds. I normally use:

-My cleanser, which in the morning is Pevonia Spateen Cleanser and at night the Cetaphil Gentle Skin cleanser, with the Clarisonic (which is my best friend). I definitely would have never bought the Clarisonic, but my mom got it and didn't ever use it so it's mine now!

-I moisturize with Pevonia Spateen moisturizer (FYI my boyfriend's mom owns a spa) that has good ingredients but doesn't explicitly say non-comedogenic

-I occasionally use Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask

-And I use Everday Mineral's makeup, which is the only makeup my skin tolerates the best

Should I stop using the Clarisonic, or use the sensitive skin brush head instead (I use the normal skin brush head, as my skin has adjusted to it and now I never have a flake of dry skin on my face)?

And also, can anyone recommend a good moisturizer that is non-comedogenic? And perhaps a good sun screen? Also, when should I incorporate the sunscreen in my routine? Before the moisturizer or after? And should I moisturize at night after the Retin-A, or skip the moisturizer at night?

One last question (I know this is a long post)! I've read a couple of posts on these forums and people say that they hate Cetaphil and its comedogenic. Should I switch from Cetaphil cleanser to something else? If so, then what do you use or recommend? Thank you so much for any tips, because I want to take the best care of my skin while I'm using these prescriptions!