Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So after years of using BPO and store bought gentle face washes, I have been experimenting recently with esential oils. Tea Tree Oil in particular.

Now, there are lots of products to buy from the stores and they all seem ok - but could we make our own facial washes? How hard can it be?

Could I just:

1) fill up a bottle with a pump dispenser with 50% water

2) add a few drops of tea tree oil

3) add a carrier oil like jojoba

4) add another essential oil in needed e.g. peppermint or bergamot or something?

Shake before each use and wash with the above?

The benefits I can think of is that:

1) you can control exactly the amount of oils you want. For example, most tea tree oil products contain about 1% or less tea tree oil. This is tiny! The studies that compared TTO against benzoyl peroxide used 5% TTO.

2) you could be sure of no nasty chemicals, no SLS and so forth. It would be just water and oils.

What do you think?

Google oil cleansing method. There's many formulas people use for different skin types. I personally haven't tried it. Too much work!

Google oil cleansing method. There's many formulas people use for different skin types. I personally haven't tried it. Too much work!

Hiya. I'm aware of the OCM although I haven't tried it yet. Trouble is the OCM takes some time, whereas I'm thinking about a quick wash 'n go type of thing.

I have tried tea tree and jojoba oil but didn't really get anything out of them. I think there's too much hype over them.

I personally find that just having a gentle cleanser and a good moisturizer will be fine for most people.