Notifications
Clear all

Do you have to soak macadamia nuts as well?

MemberMember
(@hesitation)

Posted : 02/20/2010 6:54 am

I love macadamia nuts. But the only ones that are available to me here are roasted and salted. Those should not be soaked, right? I've heard a lot of contradictory info on that. Macadamia nuts shouldn't contain a lot of enzyme inhibitors. Plus, if they do the roasting should have taken care of it, right? I want to eat like a king before my fast.

MemberMember
(@drizzler)

Posted : 02/20/2010 8:37 am

Well if the nuts are already roasted, then soaking isn't going to do anything one way or the other. I don't know if roasting them deactivates enzyme inhibitors, rather than having soaked them raw. Maybe they have raw ones in the Whole Foods bulk section or something?

Also, I don't think its a good idea to binge eat and cram yourself right before a fast... I think there is supposed to be more of an ease-in to something like that. I read a book not too long ago, it was kindof older but still interesting, it's called "Fasting and Eating for Health" by the well known Dr. Fuhrman. Definitely a good read.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/07/2013 4:31 am

i dont think macas need to be soaked because:

1) very little phytic acid

2) primarily monounsaturated fat

3) low omega 6

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/07/2013 5:46 pm

Ideally, you soak or sprout all the seeds you eat. But they do have to be raw. And how important it is varies with the lectins they contain. It does make some nutrients more bioavailable. Is phytic acid the only thing that binds up the nutrients? I never delved into it that deeply.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/07/2013 6:32 pm

Ideally, you soak or sprout all the seeds you eat. But they do have to be raw. And how important it is varies with the lectins they contain. It does make some nutrients more bioavailable. Is phytic acid the only thing that binds up the nutrients? I never delved into it that deeply.

The thing is, macadamia nuts don't have much phytic acid.

What is the difference between raw and roasted macadamias?