Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wilymon

A water filter cured my body acne

I've read a bit on here about people having success with water filters, but I thought I'd share my story. First off, I don't want to say this is a miracle cure, but it worked on me for some reason. I'm a 27-year-old from Texas and I've had acne since my late teens. I had it on my face for a few years but it went away by the time I was 20. Unfortunately, the acne on my back remained and nothing I did got it to go away, which has always made me very self-conscious :(

As if that weren't enough, I also suffer from very dry skin on my face and scalp. Early last year (2009) I went to see a dermatologist for the first time ever to discuss my super-dry skin (this will be relevant in a second, just keep reading). She diagnosed me with "Seborrheic Dermatitis" and gave me two medicines: Salex Shampoo and Topicort LP, which I used with great results as long as I didn't skip a day.

For New Years, I decided to travel to NYC (I stayed at my friend's apartment in Brooklyn) and on my first day there I skipped the Salex and Topicort accidentally. I figured I'd just have a day of dry skin, no big deal. To my surprise, the next morning I had no dry skin. In fact, it was downright smooth. Suspecting the water, I began to do research whenever I wasn't out looking at landmarks. I discovered that NY has really soft water (which means that it doesn't have a lot of minerals dissolved in it), while TX has some of the hardest water in the country. This map shows what I'm talking about: You can get more info on your water by contacting the people who provide your water.

So my face and scalp finally felt healthy but then I realized after a few days that my back was starting to look better too. As soon as I arrived home a week later, I went to Home Depot to purchase a filter for my showerhead. The one I bought is made by Sprite and is supposed to remove chlorine from the water, along with other things. I also bought the Burt's Bees Tomato Complexion soap and added that to my routine. This all happened at the start of the year. It is now February 19th and I've stopped getting new acne on my back. I have quite a bit of hyperpigmentation, but that's something I'll have to work on.

I should say that the water filter I bought is nowhere near as good as the water in Brooklyn. The skin on my face is a bit dry, but it's nothing that moisturizer can't fix, no more medicine! I don't have the money to try out a million different water filters to find the best one, but what I have works well enough, so I'll stick with it for now.

So, why does hard water suck? Because it doesn't clean soap very well. If you have hard water, after you remove soap from your skin, you'll notice that your skin feels really soft. This "softness" is caused by a layer of soap, impurities and minerals left behind on your skin. My guess is that this not only drys out your skin, it also clogs pores. If you have soft water, after you remove soap from your skin, it'll feel slick because there's no film of soap on it!

Well, that's my story. My skin is still clearing up, but I hope it's gonna get better and better. I'm sure there are plenty of you guys out there who live in soft water area and still have acne, so I don't think this is gonna work for everyone. Best of luck to you all!

I think I actually bought the same shower head filter today from home depot.

I used a different shower filter and remember seeing my skin clear up but stopped using it after it broke, a plastic piece on it when adjusting it. So I decided to try it again.

Do you use the burts bee soap on ur face as well? Do you think the soap is also key or mainly the filter?

I think I actually bought the same shower head filter today from home depot.

I used a different shower filter and remember seeing my skin clear up but stopped using it after it broke, a plastic piece on it when adjusting it. So I decided to try it again.

Do you use the burts bee soap on ur face as well? Do you think the soap is also key or mainly the filter?

I use the soap above my waist, everywhere, including my face. I do think the filter is key, but I love the soap and it's working for me so I'm afraid to change it now. I even keep it in a ziplock bag, way from the shower to keep it safe. Ha.