Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
babaoreily

Can I still be "cured" of acne even though I'll be on only 40 mg all 6 months?

40 mg Claravis the entire course.

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 135 lbs

Can I still achieve total remission from acne even with this rather low dose?

Edited by babaoreily

It depends on the individual. I was on 60mg a day for 6 months, and my acne came back (not as bad) about 2 years later. Now, I'm on 80mg/day for hopefully 6-7 months.

I'm 160lbs and 5'7"

It depends on the individual. I was on 60mg a day for 6 months, and my acne came back (not as bad) about 2 years later. Now, I'm on 80mg/day for hopefully 6-7 months.

I'm 160lbs and 5'7"

Did you experience any hair loss and if so did you recover?

Ok I just got my accutane prescription, this is what my derm said.

You should get a total of 120-150mg per kg in order to get a 95% cure rate. If you fall between 110-120mg/kg i believe she said the cure rate was 75%.

your weight: 62 kg.

120mg/kg x 62kg = 7440 mgs of accutane needed your WHOLE course at minimum to reach 95% cure.

You'll be taking: 6 months x 30 days x 40mg per day = 7200 mgs total.

Your actual dosage falls below the 7440mg needed. This puts you at 117mg per kg.

You can take between .5-2mg per kg. So ask your doctor to dose you up to 1mg per kg. So you can take 60mg a day.

I'm 160lbs and 5'7"

Did you experience any hair loss and if so did you recover?

No hair loss either course, I have LOTS of hair.

Ok I just got my accutane prescription, this is what my derm said.

You should get a total of 120-150mg per kg in order to get a 95% cure rate. If you fall between 110-120mg/kg i believe she said the cure rate was 75%.

your weight: 62 kg.

120mg/kg x 62kg = 7440 mgs of accutane needed your WHOLE course at minimum to reach 95% cure.

You'll be taking: 6 months x 30 days x 40mg per day = 7200 mgs total.

Your actual dosage falls below the 7440mg needed. This puts you at 117mg per kg.

You can take between .5-2mg per kg. So ask your doctor to dose you up to 1mg per kg. So you can take 60mg a day.

Damn, that sucks...

I don't think my derm will up my dose even though I ask him cuz my acne is very mild now, but I'm afraid once I stop all the oil and acne will come back.

Well the research done on accutane was for moderate-severe cystic acne. See how you do on 5 months of 40mg. If you're not clear at the end, you can take it for a longer period of time or up your dosage. You can always talk to your derm, see what (s)he's thinking.

I'm 5'9 and 140 and my derm has me on 80mg day. This is my second course, I took accutane about 10 years ago, I was probably 5'7 and 120, I don't remember for sure but I think I was on 50 or 60mg/day. It cured it but came back then. I had severe acne, now I have mild/mod.

What's funny is my derm never asked me how much I weigh, maybe he just eyeballed me? But people usually guess I'm 10-15 pounds less then I am.

I'm not sure how long this current course will last, probably 4-6 months, I might ask your derm to up the dosage to 60 after the first month.

Possibly but the chances are low so push for an increase in dosage or another month. If you take 40mg for 7 months you'd be at 137mg/kg.