Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good, but you're not supposed to do it for more than 10 minutes at a time and twice a week. Once a fortnight if you have dry skin, I think. It's good because it helps unclog blocked pores and is beneficial to blackheads especially for some people. Make sure you close the pores afterwards with ice cold water though, otherwise you're leaving them open for bacteria to get in.

i already have dry skin and steaming just made it even dryer so i stopped doing it. a warm shower will have the same effect of softening the contents of clogged pores.

i dont agree with using ice cold water on your face. extremes of hot or cold water are bad for the skin. i find its best to take warm showers and then adjust the water to room temp when it touches the face.

Hot steam can make skin softer which can, in theory, unclog some pores. Ice cold water does nothing though. Your pores DO NOT open and close; they aren't like doors. It's not like letting them open once will keep them open. Returning to normal temperatures will decrease their flexibility to the same effect as before.

Cold water is just irritating.

Hot steam can make skin softer which can, in theory, unclog some pores. Ice cold water does nothing though. Your pores DO NOT open and close; they aren't like doors. It's not like letting them open once will keep them open. Returning to normal temperatures will decrease their flexibility to the same effect as before.

Cold water is just irritating.

So, BenKweller, which temperature of water would you advise - or do you use yourself - to wash with on an everyday basis?

There's nothing to be proven. It's not something that should even be studied. Water temperature simply has nothing to do with anything. All I'm saying is that freezing water is bad for skin. Therefore, since it has no effect on closing pores, you minimize damage by using normal water.

There's nothing to be proven. It's not something that should even be studied. Water temperature simply has nothing to do with anything. All I'm saying is that freezing water is bad for skin. Therefore, since it has no effect on closing pores, you minimize damage by using normal water.

Talk about obsessing over water temperature!!! wink.gif

If you want a big talk on the relative merits of water temperature, Yakushi is the guy to talk to - he believes his acne has cleared up just through using cold water to wash with rather than hot. He has some evidence to support this, but I haven't been convinced enough to sacrifice my hot showers! B)

I have steamed my face in the past, but have not found it made a great deal of difference to my acne - I think it is just a procedure good for overall skin health that may help alleviate mild acne. In my opinion, the temperature of the water you use after steaming is not likely to make very much difference to your acne so don't stress about it too much! smile.gif

(also, don't get too close to the steam - you can end up looking sunburnt!)

*just thought of something else to add - you should try adding some essential oils such as lavender, tea tree or, ideally, manuka (but it's very expensive) to the water you are steaming with - this will help them to penetrate into your skin, taking their antibacterial and skin-soothing properties deeper. Have fun! smile.gif

Pst -- he has no evidence to support it. I have no beef with him but his arguments sound like old wives tales.

"Cold water makes your skin breathe harder so it clears out wastes." Skin doesn't breathe. The end to his arguments.

Well - I meant he has evidence of his own experiences, which isn't really evidence I admit! wink.gif I also don't think his arguments sound too strong but if someone's interested in the cold water debate Yakushi is the main advocator of it I guess.

Well anyway, in MY opinion, the temperature of your water will not affect your acne - at least, it wouldn't have done in my case because I don't think many things like that can really have an effect on severe acne.

No harm in trying it though...if you can handle cold showers! biggrin.gif