Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lady25

Awful visit to the derm

I went to the derm today for a 5 week follow up on the Tretinoin (retin-a) product that I'm using for my moderate acne. I was on an antibiotic for a month but ran out which is why I think I had a few small whiteheads on my face :\. Her assistant saw me first and took notes on the computer after asking me some questions. She looked at my skin with ':\' this expression written all over her face.

"Are you using the medication?"

"I am, yes."

"Is it working?"

"I'm not really sure. I had a lot of clogged pores on my cheeks when I was here but it seems like they're all purging now. My acne hasn't improved overall though. I figured I would let the doctor take a look at whether or not this is the type of thing that I need to stick with."

::She turned to her computer and types 'using RX. Obvious that it is minimally effective::

The doctor ended up prescribing me an extra moisturizing cream in the morning that would reduce inflammation as well as a different antibiotic.

I hate my skin. I think I'm super sensitive too. I came home and ate dark chocolate and tablespoons of almond butter.

Which I'm sure is going to effect my acne since I wasn't even hungry.

:( Hope the new prescriptions help. She wants to see me after 3 months this time.

We emotionally binge on the same foods (dark chocolate and almond butter)! :lol: Anyhoo, 5 weeks is not enough time for Retin-A to work from what I've read; 3 months is more typical before results are seen. You'll probably see some good results in a month or so!

I've never had good experiences with derm assistants. They're often pretty insensitive.

What else are you doing for your acne?

Aw haha that's cool. Almond butter was a recent find and I def love it a little too much. The combo of the two is great though, no? Thanks a lot for your response. I'm actually going through a difficult time in my life right now. I went on birth control for health reasons a year and half ago and it ironically got me sick. I'm coming off a pretty bad depressive episode + acne flare up (I was always acne ridden with oily skin though) + thinning hair. I still have a lot of down days and am taking time off college to heal.

My down days consist of sleeping quite a bit during the day and sometimes emotional eating :\. I'm sure that contributes to the situation.

On my good days I do yoga in the morning and evening and about 30 mins of cardio. I eat fruits, veggies, and chicken and make green smoothies in the AM. I try to take fish oil, vitamin D, calcium, and a B vitamin with my smoothie. Recently (ie last night) I'm drinking about 5-6 glasses of water/iced brewed green tea.

That's about it in addition to what the derm has given me. I really want to push through my down days so that I can have enough up to see improvement in my skin. Especially after the way that assistant looked at me ugh.