Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Quote from Roger Ebert article

There is also a link in the Lounge section to the full interview with Ebert, but I thought part of it was worth highlighting here.

Also this week, Esquire profiled film critic Roger Ebert, who also had oral cancer. He suffered complications from surgery to treat cancer of the salivary gland. The magazine published a full-page photo of the film critic, who no longer has a lower jaw.

Ebert spent little time feeling sorry for himself: "If we think we have physical imperfections, obsessing about them is only destructive. Low self-esteem involves imagining the worst that other people can think about you. That means they're living upstairs in the rent-free room," he wrote on his blog after the photo published.

I know I was one whose moods changed drastically, depending on the status of my skin. If I was clear, I was happy. When in the middle of a breakout, I became depressed and withdrawn. I've been known to overly obssess about minor skin flaws too. Anyway, this quote by Ebert really struck me that we often allow what we imagine others think to define what we think of ourselves Yes, I know some people have had mean things said to them by others about their skin, but it seems to me that most of us here more often stress over what we think others think about us.

Great quote and I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, though, it is often easier said than done. I've been struggling with this psychical aspect of acne for over two years now. The worst part is I'm a guy :boohoo:

Great quote and I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, though, it is often easier said than done. I've been struggling with this psychical aspect of acne for over two years now. The worst part is I'm a guy :boohoo:

Yeah, I think its one of those things that you have to repeatedly remind yourself of. Its definitely not easy to change how you think about these kinds of things.