Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fashionjunkie231

Hadouken ------> Acne

My title says it all. For those of you who played Street Fighter when you were younger (I grew up with two older brothers), "hadouken" was the term/sound the street fighter made when throwing a energy/firey ball at the opponent. So yes acne, I am hadoukening you. Acne, prepare to die.

My background: I've been battling acne for 12 years. I'm now 23F, living in Los Angeles. Yes, that means I started breaking out at 11, in elementary school! Disaster! Whitehead after whitehead on my face, it was definately hormonal. High school wasn't as bad, I could cover up most of it with makeup. During college, I started getting cysts and major body acne (probably stress/hormone related). The cysts weren't horrendous, but at least 2 a month, but they were in the most obvious places! Grr! Right on the side of my nose, or right above my eyebrows. GRRR!! It was like having golf balls under my skin! Someone give me a club!

I've been to many dermatologists. The problem is, there are a lot of bad ones out there. Ones who don't understand, ones who don't care, ones who will just prescribe you crap to get you out. This past year and a half, I've found an amazing dermatologist who will actually listen to what I have to say, take into consideration all the over the counter products and prescriptions I've tried. She put me on Doryx (the brand version of doxycycline). 10 days into using Doryx, my body really started to clear. Then I hit a wall, broke out in a terrible rash. Grr.. there went my hopes.

Accutane:

When I went to my derm a month ago to tell her about the rash, she said "so what's next?" Like i said before, she's a good listener. She knows I browse the boards for things that help others. I told her I wanted accutane. She looked at me and said "Ok, no getting pregnant, the other side effects are bearable". She gave me Yaz, and signed me up for ipledge. My derms so bad ass, she was a doctor for the army and a captain I think.

I just went and got my blood drawn and got my prescription. She really spent some time talking to me (probably because I had the first appointment for the day and there wasn't anyone else in the waiting room yet). She went through the math/dosage with me. She said we needed to hit 120-150 mg/kg over the whole course in order to get a 95% cure rate. If I fell under 120mg/kg, the cure rate was 75%. We went over the side effects of each dosage. She said if taking 40mg of accutane a day gave me "x" amount of side effects, 80mg would give me "2x" amount of side effects. It's directly proportional. She also said I could take a lower dosage over a longer period of time, as long as we hit 120-150mg/kg.

So this is what we're about to try:

month 1 - 40 mg

month 2 - 80 mg

month 3 - 120 mg

month 4 - 80 mg

month 5 - 120 mg

This will get me to the 144mg/kg range. Yay! 95% cure rate.

Remember, your total dosage of accutane should add up to 120-150mg/kg. She told me the most mg you should take a day is .5-2mg per kg.

So now I have to go fill my prescription (i did my stupid ipledge questions) and pop my first pill. I'm kind of getting paranoid of all the possible side effects, but I gotta battle through it, especially the Initial Breakout. My face is clear right now. I have 2 that are healing on my face, and no cysts or new whiteheads. My arms/shoulders have 2 cysts, and my chest/back is covered in breakouts - maybe like 15 total. Hadouken acne. Hadouken.

Wish me luck!

Edited by fashionjunkie231

As per request - GOOD LUCK!

I totally got the whole Hadouken thing - awesomeness.

I started breaking out when I was eleven too. I remember having my first huge zit on my chin for roughly two months because I kept scratching it. There is also a picture of me at my twelfth birthday holding up a tube of zit cream as a present.

I just got my first "you know that accutane is really bad for you?". I replied "No it's not, that's all crap". "Who told you it's crap?" "Doctor." "If it's all crap, why do they make you take regular pregnancy tests and 2 forms of birth control?" "Because you shouldn't get pregnant on it, it causes birth defects. But side effects are manageable otherwise." She replied "I think you should get a second opinion."

Then she went on to say how my acne's not bad at all, and i shouldn't need it. I just ignored her after that. I wanted to yell: IT'S BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN MY CHEST/ARMS/SHOULDERS. IT'S BECAUSE I BUY $40 FOUNDATION AND $40 CONCEALER AND PILE IT ON MY FACE. I CAN ONLY WEAR LOW CUT / STRAPLESS CLOTHES WHEN MY SKINS CLEAR! GRRRRRRR. PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND!

kernel.panic - i read your log. funny I used to get kernel32 errors all the time, never really understood what it meant. Goodluck with your course! and thanks for the support! Can't wait to shove zit creams up people's asses! Grr.. I would hate it when people would say "try this, try that" when they had perfectly clear skin and never had any acne to begin with.

I just got my first "you know that accutane is really bad for you?". I replied "No it's not, that's all crap". "Who told you it's crap?" "Doctor." "If it's all crap, why do they make you take regular pregnancy tests and 2 forms of birth control?" "Because you shouldn't get pregnant on it, it causes birth defects. But side effects are manageable otherwise." She replied "I think you should get a second opinion."

Then she went on to say how my acne's not bad at all, and i shouldn't need it. I just ignored her after that. I wanted to yell: IT'S BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T SEEN MY CHEST/ARMS/SHOULDERS. IT'S BECAUSE I BUY $40 FOUNDATION AND $40 CONCEALER AND PILE IT ON MY FACE. I CAN ONLY WEAR LOW CUT / STRAPLESS CLOTHES WHEN MY SKINS CLEAR! GRRRRRRR. PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND!

kernel.panic - i read your log. funny I used to get kernel32 errors all the time, never really understood what it meant. Goodluck with your course! and thanks for the support! Can't wait to shove zit creams up people's asses! Grr.. I would hate it when people would say "try this, try that" when they had perfectly clear skin and never had any acne to begin with.

If you really want to shove zit cream up people's asses just let me know and i can send ya like 500 tubes under my bathroom sink! I really need to throw it all away I guess since I am not using them anymore and dont plan on going back to that way of life after my course...(fingers crossed) So anywho just wanted to tell you Good Luck!

Edited by PrettySpotty!

So i just filled my Amnesteem prescription. One large box (40mg), with 3 packets inside, each with 10 little pills with a DO NOT GET PREGNANT symbol on each pill slot. Got it, do not get pregnant on amnesteem.

I'm already on Yaz, it's done well in clearing up my face, but nothing for my body acne. I don't get many whiteheads or blackheads anymore, but i still do get painful small pustules/papules under my skin around my chin and neck, and a couple of cysts on my face a month. My body gets it all, white heads, papules, pustules, cysts. Grr. Right now i have a cyst on my left side, where the back of my neck meets my shoulder.

Was anyone else a little hesitant before popping their first pill? I'm a little scared to be quite honest. I can deal with the dry skin / dry lips / back pain thing, it's the bigger side effects that scare me - brain swelling, blurry vision, loss of night vision (even though I probably won't get them). A little nervous. I think i'll pop my first pill tomorrow morning since I've had a migraine all day.

I watched MTV's True Life: I have acne. I think they did a really poor job of documenting the girl on accutane. They didn't say if she suffered any side effects at all, they pretty much just showed her taking her 1st pill and the no pregnancy part, and then 5 months later she was clear.

Anywho, I'm scared. Terrified actually, but I want this acne gone. It's been 12 freaking years, why the hell haven't you gone away by now. No one, except you guys, gets it.

But at least my prescription copay was only $10 with insurance. :) AHHHHH!

YAY FOR INSURANCE!

Don't be nervous taking your first pill. I was ecstatic when I took mine. I could barely wait for supper so I could pop that sucker.

YAY FOR INSURANCE!

Don't be nervous taking your first pill. I was ecstatic when I took mine. I could barely wait for supper so I could pop that sucker.

I popped my first pill right after a late lunch, chugged a glass of water. I got kind of paranoid that it got stuck in my throat, so i poked at my throat for a little while to make sure nothing was there. I think it went down. God i'm so paranoid. I'm kind of laughing at myself at how ridiculous i'm being. I would be more confident in taking my pills if I had support from my family and friends. Haven't told my parents yet I'm on accutane. I don't think they'd freak out or anything b/c they don't really know the side effects / all the negative stigma associated with it. Maybe i'll have a chat with my mom and just say "hey i'm taking this crap... hope it works.... but if i have an allergic reaction it's amnesteem!"

Sucks that my best friend isn't really supportive. I would have gone to her house, made her hold my hand, and popped my pills every single day. I need to tell her to stop worrying and help me through this crap.

Okay, so this is officially Day 1.

I stocked up on these items:

1) Eucerine Daily Replenishing Lotion (?)

2) Nivea face cream

3) St. Ive's lotion with vitamine E

4) Omega 3-6 pills

5) Vitamin B Super Complex

6) Dove Nutrium Moisture body wash

7) A new soft loofa

8) Cetaphil face wash

Threw away everything else.

Has anyone tried exfoliating while on Accutane? I've always used the St. Ive's apricot scrub about 1x a week. I don't think i'll really work it into my skin, but will just try to slough off dry flaking skin. Anyone recommend it or disagree?

Current status of skin:

Face: approx. 4 small pimples on my left cheek, nothing severe. I squeezed them and they've gone down. 2 small pimples by the right side of my lip. Forehead fairly clear. Chin, just dark spots from acne i got last week, but they've cleared. Neck, one cyst under my chin (technically on my neck) - I picked at that crap.

Chest: Maybe 10 small whiteheads that i popped, with 3 older scabs b/c i picked at them.

Back: relatively clear, no whiteheads, but 1 cyst where the back of my neck meets my shoulder. It hurts.

Arms: left arm has 3 painful under-skin pimples (not really cysts) that are now healing because I picked and picked at them. Right arm is clear.

It's a fairly good face and body day. Only thing bothering me are the cysts.

My acne does this, it clears up 2 weeks after my period, then I start breaking out again.

My doctor said I could exfoliate the first few days of my course before the side effects hit but I think once you're on it, your skin does a pretty good job of shedding itself.

Hey everyone!

Day 2

@prettyspotty!: Way less freaked out now - I think pill #1 was the hard one. Now i'm looking at it this way "I'm hadoukening acne! weeeee to freedom!" haha. So empowering actually.

Um, so I quit my super high stress job (which I gained 20lbs in 1.5yrs working there) about a month ago! Wee, I still live at home (cuz just graduated, looking into grad school, will move out in a year or so). So with nothing to do, I went to the dog park today around 11am. My doggies had a blast; they chased these two boxers around the whole park for an hour. THE OWNER OF THE 2 BOXERS WAS HOT!!!! :dance: Got slobbered on by a 7 mo. old golden retriever who just wanted to sit at my feet and be petted. Was out in the sun, had suncreen on (Neutrogena Helioplex spf 55). I looked in the mirror a little while ago and the apples of my cheeks seemed a little red. Maybe the sun/wind. LA's been having some annoying weather. They keep saying it's supposed to rain during the day, but it never does (which is good, but i prepare not to do anything). It's quite windy today. Got some flying gunk in my eye!

I bought the Blistex medicated lip ointment (33% more free). Free, yah right, you've already included it in the price you morons. I decided to be one step ahead of the dryness. Moisturizing consistently, using the Blistex, also bought some aquaphor and putting it at the side of my lips where people say theirs tends to crack.

What else, oh so 2 days ago (before I even started accutane), i had the weirdest dream. I saw my friend getting a ticket by a cop. Then somehow, the ticket was mine. It said that they were randomly taking away my driver's license even though I'd never had any sort of violation before (and was not committing a violation at the moment either). So I went to find the law that said they could do this, and a cute cop was helping me. So as I searched and searched for some non-existing law, all of a sudden michael jackson's standing in front of me, like he's about to slash my throat or something. Then Prince (yes, the artist formerly known as prince), is in front of me and I START SWAPPING SPIT WITH HIM!!!! what the hell... it was funny. I woke up.... weird. But then again, I always have random ass dreams.

Once, some WWF (wrestling) characters where trying to hunt me down and the FBI was inside my house trying to help me. Once the guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre chased me into a lake, and kept pacing around the lake so i'd have to get tired of swimming and die.

Anywho, onto the acne:

The cyst on my shoulder seems to be going down. It was there for about a week. I couldn't pop it :( But I guess that's a good thing. My Left arm is healing. As for my face, got a whitehead on the side of my nose. If i stretch my skin on my cheeks, I can see white gunk in my pores. I also have always had these little tiny pimples (but almost like blackheads, but white in color) under my bottom lip, in my that indented part of my chin. My chest had a couple of pimples, but some of the old stuff is also clearing.

Pandora's really been bugging me lately. I've always had a Destiny's Child station that I listen to during the day. It tends to play upbeat music, but lately it's been shuffling all this horrible music (like some children's choir singing top 40 hits) into the mix. Grr. Right now I'm listening to Blower's Daughter radio. Really good music to sleep to, but it's only 5:30.

Anywho, hope everyone's well.

Day 3

So not much to report. Nothing new has popped up on my face, neck, arms or back *yay*. I feel like my initial breakout is going to be my chest. I see all these little pimples forming; trying not to touch them.

I think Accutane is really helping heal the cyst on the back of my shoulder/neck. It's gone down significantly, but if I touch it, it still hurts a little and it feels kind of hard lump. My arm's clearing up nicely, just waiting for the scabs to go away. All the existing pimples seemed to go away on my face except for this tiny little one on my forehead, no biggie.

So far so good. I definitely think my face is drying out. Yaz made the skin around my mouth dry, but now my whole face is getting tighter/dryer. I slather on Nivea Creme 3x a day and it all just soaks in and disappears when it usually leaves me a tiny bit greasy. Been using my Blistex medicated, seems to be working well, kind of has the burning/cooling sensation. I don't think I like my Nivea Kiss of Moisture chapstick anymore, i feel like it just sits on top of my lips, and never really soaks in or does anything - I'll just throw it in my purse just in case.

So my shins and calves have been extremely itchy - not accutane related. I shaved a few days ago and when the hair grows back my legs itch b/c the pores or whatever are closed. So i scratch and scratch, but now I can't b/c accutane thins the skin. I put on some benadryl lotion earlier, helped. Now the itching is back, but I must resist. I've been using the Eucerine Daily Replenishing lotion for my body, I don't know how you guys put it on your face. It says "fragrance free" (probably meaning they didn't add anything like lavendar), but it has the slightest smell that really bothers me.

So I finally tried out the Dove Nutrium Moisture body wash - and OMG. I lathered it up with my hands and it's wonderful. I felt like I was playing on a cloud.. ok just kidding, but yeah I give it 2 thumbs up.

I think my scalp is becoming less oily as well! YAY this is what I was waiting for. I get oily hair 12 hours after shampooing if i put my hair up, so this is going to be great. It's been 24 hours and no real oil. :)

I'm really trying to take care of myself while I'm on accutane, being kind to my liver with diet and exercise, but i had Burger King today :( grrr... it's my arch enemy! Die fast food!

Anywho, just booked my trip to the bay area. I'm going in a couple weeks to visit some family. I can't wait. I hope my chest breaks out NOW so it clears in 2 weeks.

Oh, and today I felt really tired for some reason. I got a good 8 hours of sleep, but around 1 I just couldn't stay awake; I took a 1.5 hour nap. Is this you accutane? Is this one of your side effects? I felt really groggy, so I downed a glass of water to rehydrate, and had some ice cream to brighten my mood.

Anyone else feeling tired? Maybe it's just today, hopefully it won't be like this for the whole course. Luckily I'm not employed, and not looking either for now.

Yes, yes, accutane turns you into a bear hibernating in the winter, more or less. I've literally had to peel myself off my bed for the last two days and have fallen asleep countless times in class/on the bus.

I love that Dove body wash too! Well, any type of body wash/bubble bath really. As a child it would amuse me for literally hours on end.

I really hope that your chest acne isn't a bitch when your on vacation. That's always pleasant.

@kernel.panic - your comment makes me want to laugh and cry. God I think I'm really hormonal right now, which I shouldn't be because isn't yaz supposed to make my hormones stable or something. Grr. I hope I'm not in the middle of an IB while on vacation - then I have to act everything's ok when it's really not. grrr, don't feel like explaining what an IB is to distant family members.

This one will be short. I have a painful pimple on my hairline, the one on my forehead seems to be getting bigger. Cheeks seem to be smoothing out. The 3 pimples on my arm have healed and you can barely even tell they were ever there. Last night I had two painfuly lumpy pimples on my back that seem to have gone away. Existing cyst has flattened out on my shoulder, though it's still a bit tender to touch.

Skin is definitely drying out more. Woke up 3x last night - could be the accutane, but probably not b/c one of the times I had lost feeling in my arm b/c I slept on it. Didn't really have trouble falling back asleep, but grrr I turned on the TV and watched women's olympic ice skating - that kept me up for a while.

Someone nominate me for TLC's What Not to Wear so they can buy me a new wardrobe when I'm acne free :) Damn body acne... you limit my clothing options.

I'll nominate you for What Not To Wear if you nominate me! Every person deserves a celebrating "I don't have acne anymore!" wardrobe right??

I hope that acne fades faster than you can say "be gone" and you never see it again!

-Ashi

P.S. I love your log :)

good luck!

have to say i'm feeling KNACKERED, and i'm just 2 days in so not far behind you :). i'm a bit worried that all the side effects etc. i've read about will influence my way of thinking (IE I feel a bit tired... it's not because im used to waking up at 11am NO it MUST be accutane).

anyways...

So I've been trying to keep track of my fatigue to see if it's accutane induced. I don't think so. Today I haven't felt tired, yesterday I napped for 2.5 hours, and the day before I was fine. So it's got to be a boredom thing (so far at least). So i have to keep myself busy.

My head's been a little cloudy, not major pain, but the front left side of my head hurts. I tend to get migraines anyway, but this isn't a migraine. I just downed a large glass of water to see if that helps.

Um what else, face is doing well. Mount Vesuvius in the middle of my forehead is now gone. The one in my hairline is shrinking as well. Got one pimple on my arm, nothing huge. A few pimples on my chest and back, nothing painful or cyst-like at least. Grr i hate having bacne, you can't see what's going on back there!! grr.

My face started peeling a little - not like a dry cracking peel, but more like skin turnover possibly?

To be honest, I'm already getting quite frustrated with accutane. 6 months is going to take forever. I hate having to analyze whether every ache and pain is related to accutane. AHHHHHH. It's only Day 6.

Oh, I fell in the bushes. The dogs ran into me as they were chasing each other. Got a few scratches :( Did anyone else see Yu-Na Kim skate last night? wow. I cried when she won, and i cried when Rouchette (?) won 3rd. poor girl, I wouldnt be able to do ANYTHING if my mom died 2 days beforehand. I'd just sit in the middle of the rink and cry. I've been really emotional lately.. (not accutane related)... probably the BCP. Thinking of getting off it, but i want to control the days when I go on vacation, so I gotta stay on it.

Oh yeah, going to Europe with my mom this summer! :) WEEEEE!

Funny, headache went away, kind of.

Ok, going to go keep myself busy. thanks for reading.

Hey, did you know you've started the same day I did? I know what it's like, 6 months seems like forever when you're only in your first week!

Try not to lose hope, you'll get there, and try not to think too much about how long it is :wall:

Good luck on your course!

Hey,

LOL @ the Hadouken acne. I remember those games! I also understand the frustration that you feel sometimes with accutane because we are obsessing with our acne and waiting to see results but that will decrease over time. After the second month I started to think about other things other than my acne as I broke out less and less. This stuff really does work. Soon, you might even forget to update your log because you will just stop thinking about acne almost altogether because you won't have any acne to talk about!!! Can't wait for that day again.

Edited by carmelle

Good luck with your acne ... hope you clear up soon

*SONIC BOOM* ........K.0 acne :box::box:

cool ... acne fighter ...... consider this a acne fighting game ....hahha

street fighter rules :clap:

I saw when that Rouchette girl won bronze. I nearly started crying at the thought of losing my mom and then going to have to do something like that (accutane has made me very emotional.)

As for time ticking by ultra-slowly, I found that my first few days on accutane went by at a sloth's pace and now they're flying by.

Day 7

@kernel.panic, mowgli, carmel, & sfnp: thanks for the encouragement. Wow, week 1 is done. When i look at it this way, that's 1/20 of my course completed. I should make some sort of graph haha. Time flew! lol, i guess looking at it day by day drives me crazy. I'm really hoping to be clear by month 3, so it's not "a 6 month wait". I guess that makes things better.

my skin: forehead has 0 actives. I've started to notice that when I do get acne and it heals, the skin covering the pimple & surrounding area peels off (almost like the whole thing was a scab). A couple of small breakouts on my cheeks, nose is clear. I feel a cyst forming on the right side of my chin (where I usually get it)! C'mon accutane, kill it!!! Don't let it develop anymore. Chest just had a couple of small pimples, my back broke out a bit - maybe 4-5 pimples (no cysts). Left arm had a couple of pimples too.

My face feels a lot softer though. I feel like my chin area is going to get irritated really soon. It's not dry b/c i super moisturize throughout the day, but when i run my hand across it, i feel like it's going to break out in a terrible itch/rash one of these days (i hope not!)

I'm really trying to keep busy during the day and not living on these boards b/c these boards make me think about my acne more and more.So yes, I will at most dedicate 1 hour to these boards a day (I have plenty of time since I'm unemployed). But the thing is i spend the rest of my day watching tv. I've recently found that MTV plays buffy the vampire slayer at 9am, so i watch that, followed by will and grace reruns, stuff on HGTV, Food Network, etc. I watch a lot of trashy reality tv too. And the sad part is, I KNOW IT'S A WASTE OF TIME! grr.

So we have an electric kettle for boiling water. My smart brother (no really, he's really really smart) fills the kettle, but then puts it on the STOVE! the thing-a-ma-jigger caught on fire. Luckily he was close-by so he could smell it.

Oh & I found these reviews about make up brushes that are the equivalent or even better of MAC brushes - it's called Sigma Brushes. It's like $70 for a pack of 12 brushes. That's insane b/c MAC sells brushes at like $40 a piece! You can youtube reviews if you'd like. There's a girl named MakeUpByTiffanyD and she does great reviews on it.

other stuff I found. BH Cosmetics & Coastal Scents (two different brands that carry the same products) have these 120 eyeshadow pallet that is supposed to be great ($30).

Um some websites I browse: outblush.com - it posts like 5-10 "cool"/"cute"/"must have" items for ladies. uncrate.com is the "male" version. and of course perezhilton.com

So yeah, thought i'd share. Yay! Week 1 done. Thanks for all the support guys. Hopefully it gets easier from here. :)

Day 7

Oh & I found these reviews about make up brushes that are the equivalent or even better of MAC brushes - it's called Sigma Brushes. It's like $70 for a pack of 12 brushes. That's insane b/c MAC sells brushes at like $40 a piece! You can youtube reviews if you'd like. There's a girl named MakeUpByTiffanyD and she does great reviews on it.

Thanks for the tip, get tired of paying $$$$ for MAC brushes.