Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PghKate

Wanted point of views on the mg I was given

I started my course on Feb 4th. So far it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. I wasn't expecting a miracle because I know that takes time but I haven't even had my initial breakout or anything, and barely any side effects besides slightly dry eyes & chapped lips.

Height: 5'4

Weight: roughly 145

My derma started me on 20mg once/day. It seems like the majority of people I read who have just started began at at least 40, and they are usually about the same height or taller and weigh no more than 120. I am seeing her and will probably get the MG increased at my next appointment, but why do you think I got started on such a low dose? Aside from the acne itself I have cysts along my jawline and two on each cheek that haven't gone away for about two years, so I don't think she is considering it a "mild" case.

How much did all of you start out on and how much did it increase? I just feel like I could have started a little bit higher- but obviously my derma has the education and probably is doing what she thinks is best for me.

Thanks- PghKate

Edited by PghKate

High dose, and more importantly cumulative dose will have a bigger impact on total remission. But, since it's cumulative dose that matters, it's okay to start at a low dose, because you'll have fewer side effects and not as bad of an initial breakout.

You could talk to your derm about titrating your dose slowly to 60mg or so.

I started my course on Feb 4th. So far it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. I wasn't expecting a miracle because I know that takes time but I haven't even had my initial breakout or anything, and barely any side effects besides slightly dry eyes & chapped lips.

Height: 5'4

Weight: roughly 145

My derma started me on 20mg once/day. It seems like the majority of people I read who have just started began at at least 40, and they are usually about the same height or taller and weigh no more than 120. I am seeing her and will probably get the MG increased at my next appointment, but why do you think I got started on such a low dose? Aside from the acne itself I have cysts along my jawline and two on each cheek that haven't gone away for about two years, so I don't think she is considering it a "mild" case.

How much did all of you start out on and how much did it increase? I just feel like I could have started a little bit higher- but obviously my derma has the education and probably is doing what she thinks is best for me.

Thanks- PghKate

PghKate - i just got my prescription for accutane and had a long convo with my derm about dosage (because I was the first appointment of the day and no one in the waiting room yet). We're doing 40, 80, 120, 80, 120. This is what my derm told me. Your derm may have a plan for you, but try to fall between the following information by the end of your course:

Based on research, you need 120-150 mg per kg in order to reach a 95% cure rate.

I believe she said if you fall between 110 - 120, it's a 75% cure rate.

So if you're 145lbs, your 65kg. 120mg/kg x 65kg = 7800 mg total during your whole course.

You can take between .5-2mg per kg of weight. This means your minimum dose should be at least .5 x 65kg, approximately 30mg a day.

Maybe your derm wanted to see how you would handle the side effects. What sucks is even if you went to the doctor tomorrow and said "increase my dosage", i don't know if he can write you another prescription because of this ipledge crap (but i may be wrong on this one).

Try to get him to bump you up. You want to reach at least 7800 mg total. You can do 20, 40, 80, 80, 80 if you're doing a 5 month course OR 20, 40, 40, 40, 80, 80 = 9000mg total = 136mg/kg.