Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
recoverme

Let's get this straightened out: SUSHI??

is sushi okay to eat with our anti-acne diets?

All I'm saying is, the Japanese got healthy skins..

However, sushi does have ingredients in it that are acne prone..

Just wondering.

If sushi is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Of all the ingredients in sushi, I'm sure it's the white rice that's the worst.

Just wondering.

I've seen Japanese people with acne - so they are definitely not immune to it. Whether sushi is a problem or not partly depends on what type you are eating and whether you are sensitive to iodides. I know that iodides flare my skin up (iodized salt, kelp, etc.), so I avoid sushi rolls since they contain seaweed. Sashimi is okay for me, as long as I don't overdo the soy sauce.

If you are sensitive to iodine, and already eat a diet that contains a lot of salt, or take a multivitamin that contains iodine, then some sushi dishes might be a problem for you.

Just wondering.

I've seen Japanese people with acne - so they are definitely not immune to it. Whether sushi is a problem or not partly depends on what type you are eating and whether you are sensitive to iodides. I know that iodides flare my skin up (iodized salt, kelp, etc.), so I avoid sushi rolls since they contain seaweed. Sashimi is okay for me, as long as I don't overdo the soy sauce.

If you are sensitive to iodine, and already eat a diet that contains a lot of salt, or take a multivitamin that contains iodine, then some sushi dishes might be a problem for you.

prolly because they are starting to eat western diet

Anyone with my specific type of acne - jawline, mouth, inflammed cystic acne

have problems with this?

(just to narrow it down)

also, how do you know if you have sensitivity in iodine?

Just wondering.

You don't know that for sure - you are merely making an assumption. Diet isn't the ONLY factor that leads to acne. Genes and other factors play a role too.

Just wondering.

You don't know that for sure - you are merely making an assumption. Diet isn't the ONLY factor that leads to acne. Genes and other factors play a role too.

I used the word "prolly". Did i say i was definitely sure? I've had acne for 17 years, why are you trying to lecture me? Makes no sense.

Anyone with my specific type of acne - jawline, mouth, inflammed cystic acne

have problems with this?

(just to narrow it down)

also, how do you know if you have sensitivity in iodine?

I had inflamed acne around my chin/mouth area. Not prone to cysts though.

I think you know that iodine is a problem for you through trial and error - removing things from your diet to see if your skin changes. And I don't recommend avoiding all foods with iodine - our bodies need some. But, many people's diets have excessive levels of iodine - especially if they eat a lot of salty foods, processed dinners that are high in salt, dairy, etc. Your thyroid can only use a certain amount of iodine and the rest gets immediately excreted from the body (partially through the pores of the skin).

I make sure to eat fish a few times a week, along with vegetables that are high in iodine. That gives me enough dietary iodine, so I avoid the less healthy sources or the sources that are extremely high in iodine like kelp.

Just wondering.

I used the word "prolly". Did i say i was definitely sure? I've had acne for 17 years, why are you trying to lecture me? Makes no sense.

Not trying to lecture you - just saying you are making an assumption with your statement. And you also challenged my statement, so why can't I comment on yours. Only fair...

Just wondering.

Not trying to lecture you - just saying you are making an assumption with your statement. And you also challenged my statement, so why can't I comment on yours. Only fair...

where are you seeing japanese people with acne? I live in area where there are many japanese who live here locally and many tourists who come from japan. I see many local japanese who eat western diet like i do that have acne. The tourist who come from Japan, i only see 1 out of a 10000 that has an acne problem and the ones i rarely see that have acne have only mild like 1 or 2 small pimples, otherwise flawless smooth skin. There skin is so different from local japanese. Their diet is different and i know slowly they are eating western food there.

Edited by HanchoGOLF

Well here are a few:

http://www.azabu-skinclinic.com/english/menu/15a.html

And Galderma (makers of Adapalene) cited an 80% prevalance rate of teen-onset acne in Japan. Sounds pretty similar to what we see here.

like i said, they are starting to eat western food, u see alot of fast food places moving to japan now serving western food just like korea.

You still aren't providing me with any real evidence - just assumptions. I am not saying that diet doesn't have an impact. I am saying that acne existed in some japanese people prior to any westernization of their diets.

How do you know what Japanese people eat - either in Japan or when they move to another country? Not all Japanese adopt a westernized diet, and not all people in Japan east sushi all the time. You are making assumptions about these things, without any evidence to back you up. More pics from a japanese cosmetic clinic:

http://www.cosmetic-medicine.jp/english/re...acne/index.html

This is ridiculous, u r looking up japanese people with acne. Those people are eating western diet.

"Studies of the diets of ethnic groups that have a low incidence of acne form the basis of most of the acne diets. Studies of the diets of tribes in New Guinea, Paraguay, and the Bantu of South Africa, all of whom have little or no acne, show that they eat a primarily plant-based diet. Similarly, in other countries where the diet is plant-based such as Japan, there is a relatively low occurrence of acne."

Western diet sucks and it is slowly invading Japan and Korea which is making those countries low in acne to what we have in the US.

Well here are a few:

http://www.azabu-skinclinic.com/english/menu/15a.html

And Galderma (makers of Adapalene) cited an 80% prevalance rate of teen-onset acne in Japan. Sounds pretty similar to what we see here.

like i said, they are starting to eat western food, u see alot of fast food places moving to japan now serving western food just like korea.

You still aren't providing me with any real evidence - just assumptions. I am not saying that diet doesn't have an impact. I am saying that acne existed in some japanese people prior to any westernization of their diets.

Evidence lol? And you showing me pictures of japanese people with acne is proof?

You should research more and understand those countries who are generally low in acne will one day reach or be at the same level as the US once more of the western diet is eaten there in Japan. Diet is a huge factor. You can have genes to have acne but diet is what can control acne.

Edited by HanchoGOLF

my parents or grandparents did not have acne. I came to the US and ate all this western junk and had made my acne at one point so severe. I know for a fact that if i stayed in my native land, my face would have not gone through this crap for almost 20 years. For the past 10 years ive been finding out foods that i can eat and not break out, so not all western food is bad.

It is no secret that McDonald's opened 500 new locations in Japan about 20 years ago. Although they USED to be one of the healthiest countries in the world (Eating seaweed, veggies, fish and rice), they are now fighting America's same problems. Just the other day, they enacted a law against having a waist size larger than 30 (or 32?) inches. They are having to combat obesity in their own ways.

If sushi is unhealthy, kill me now. :boohoo:

As long as you get enough veggies and seaweed, I think the white rice would be fine. Usually restaurants offer sushi with brown rice too.

Edited by Dotty1