Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deenem

Protein Shakes?

Hey everyone,

I would like to gain a little weight because I'm super skinny and it makes me very self conscious. I wanted to know what kind of protein shakes should I buy. I'm a female and I do get acne from sugary foods and drinks. I've been drinking Ensure, but I believe I break out after drinking it. So, for those who do take protein shakes, What kind of protein shakes should I take?

i would recommend that you get a whey protein because it is lactose free, i use American whey protein and after 5 months of using along with a workout, i gained 12 pounds. but if you search at your local store, make sure it is made from natural ingredients. also i drink with soy milk instead of regular milk. i was also very skinny also and im a guy lol

whey protein isolate

drink it in water, NOT soy.

I highly recommend Jayrobb because it's the healthiest and best tasting protein in the planet. Period. :)

Expensive, but worth it.

AND then add oats....

You don't need weight gainer in order to gain weights...

You could just add oats into your whey protein isolate.

Edited by EddieE

whey protein isolate

drink it in water, NOT soy.

I highly recommend Jayrobb because it's the healthiest and best tasting protein in the planet. Period. :)

Expensive, but worth it.

AND then add oats....

You don't need weight gainer in order to gain weights...

You could just add oats into your whey protein isolate.

Well you dont need whey to gain weight either.

Just eat a good diet and eat more.

You dont need shakes

^ True. Just increase your calorie intake a little and hit the weights! I find that lifting makes me a little hungrier and I eat more anyway.

There's only one thing in the world that is going to make you gain weight: eating more calories than you burn. This means add calories to everything you eat. Make a sandwich, put extra mayo on it. Cook everything you eat in olive oil for more calories. Eat junk food if that's all that is available. The point is that unless you are exceeding the threshold where your body burns all the calories you intake, you will not gain weight.

Before I started working out I was 150 pounds and 4.5 years later I'm 210. I know you don't want to gain that much weight, but the same principle applies. Protein shakes by themselves won't make you gain weight if they cause you to eat less food throughout the day. They may help you gain if you drink them IN ADDITION to what you are eating currently. Try adding peanut butter to your protein shakes, a discrete way to eat a lot more calories.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I dont want to be muscular, I want a little meat on my bones lol Do you know any foods with high calories that would not cause acne. Someone suggested to eat junk food, I honestly think thats a bad idea for my skin. Its hard for me to eat more food than what i usually eat because I dont know what are the right foods for me. I didnt know drinking protein shakes alone would not make me gain weight. How long would it take for me to gain weight if I exercise and drink protein shakes?

Most of these suggestions are going to break you out. Protein shakes and weight gain drinks probably won't help your skin, even if they increase your weight. Slapping mayo onto a sandwich is a double whammy to your health and your skin thanks to processed carbs, sugars, gluten..et cetera. Cooking in olive oil degenerates and alters it's properties. This is why frying in any oil tends to create trans-fat - the bad stuff.

I'm going with AdamDolce on this one.

He mentions seeds. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with calories. If you can handle sweet fruit, try eating bananas - they're pretty carb and sugar rich. However, this may cause acne in some people, so if you can't handle them yet, then don't. If grains are a trigger for you, try quinoa instead of brown rice. Quinoa is a pseudo cereal which means it's treated like a grain even though it's actually a bunch of seeds.

Do you live at home with your parents on out on your own? Try convincing your parents to buy tons of extra HEALTHY foods that aren't super expensive, like fruits and veggies. (Avocados are a fruit). If you're on your own, you may want to invest in doing the same.