Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SEYMOUR

UK People Can you go straight to a dermatologist without a referral from a gp?

Been on erythromycin for 4 weeks and it's not doing much. This is my 5th antibiotic i've been on over 9 years. My gp said if this does not work then accutane will have to be tried. Has anyone gone straight to a derm to ask for accutane with out asking a gp.

Plus does anyone know how much accutane will cost.

Many thanks..

Been on erythromycin for 4 weeks and it's not doing much. This is my 5th antibiotic i've been on over 9 years. My gp said if this does not work then accutane will have to be tried. Has anyone gone straight to a derm to ask for accutane with out asking a gp.

Plus does anyone know how much accutane will cost.

Many thanks..

Hey, I've been on accutane for about three months and It's cost me over $170 per month to use, (the more you buy at one time, the less its gonna cost you) It's worth every penny, even if that penny means an arm in a leg; but you gotta do what you gotta do. My doctor perscriped me accutane because NOTHING works for my skin, but this seems to be doing fine. your lips get retardedly chapped and your skin is super sensitive to itches and it cracks a lot. you will also find that you will probably get random rashes or little patches of skin that will fall off and randomly scab, my side affects are almost bad so you might not even get that. but there is a chance. JUST to warn you. (it's only a 5 month trial for me)

accutane is free on the NHS, but unfortunately you will need referal from you GP to a dermatologist, unless you go to a private dermatologist.

Roaccutane isn't free as far as I know, I pay £7.40 for it via the hospital pharmacy?

I had to get a referral from my GP before they would even consider letting me on Roaccutane at all. I'd advise going to your GP and telling them how you feel about your skin and the medication. I was on Erythromycin and it did bugger all, which is when I went back, told my GP enough was enough, and I wanted to see a dermatologist and talk about trying roaccutane. If you tell your doctor what you know of roaccutane and show them you understand the risks, etc, they will probably be more inclined to refer you I find. :)

Sadly in the UK we can't buy the medication in large doses, only month by month. If you're male you don't have to submit to a pregnancy test though before you are given it.

Edited by lalaith_ofmirkwood