Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
annasui

what treatment(s) do you suggest for my scarring? w/ pics

Hi folks!

I could finally make my way to upload pictures of my scarring (cheeks) - unfortunately the quality is not the best - in fact they appear much better in every single picture but thats all I have now...

Im open to any kind of treatment, esp considering fractional CO2 Lasers such as Total FX and Fraxel Repair - please let me know what you think!

female.21.fair skin.former accutane user - the bc pill keeps my acne at bay but there still are minor breakouts every now and then as well as impurities/clogged pores (nose/chin) which i want to treat with retin a and microdermabrasions. good idea?

THANKS! (:

post-98044-1266515668_thumb.jpg

post-98044-1266515696_thumb.jpg

post-98044-1266515724_thumb.jpg

post-98044-1266515668_thumb.jpg

post-98044-1266515696_thumb.jpg

post-98044-1266515724_thumb.jpg

You could try TCA acid peels or needling.I wouldn't try TCA cross bc it may make your scars worse.

Edited by Sam

Have you considered doing some peels at home, along with copper peptides? You could work your way up to stronger peels. Not only might it lesson the scars a little, but it might also help whatever continued breakouts you have. I think it's pretty rare for anybody who's gone all the way through accutane to still have much activity. But you might want to wait a while before any major procedure... because you are going to be really ticked if you spend a bunch of money, then get more damage. Plus, you're supposed to wait about 6 months after accutane anyway. But overall, it really doesn't look bad to me. One way or another you'll probably be able to get good improvement eventually.

Edited by Dave99

thanks for the replies! (:

yes, im considering (mild) chemical peels as well in order to 'prepare' my skin for laser but i dont expect the peels or microdermabrasion sessions to have noteworthy effects on the scarring though...

dave, im almost 6months post accutane which actually failed to clear me up at all bec my acne is due to hormonal issues...anyway, i dont know anything about copper peptides except that they exist! do u use them/ would u recommend them?

can anyone comment on having fractional CO2 laser done for my type of scarring?

That's a drag. Most people respond to the accutane. You look pretty clear in the photos though.

One peel won't do much, but I think repeated peels over time might. I've done a couple big procedures, and I just don't think I'm going to do any more. I'm going to be constantly trying to take down and build up the skin each day for a couple years to see what that does. I'm using a few things from Skin Biology and trying peels and also microdermabrasion cloths. Might try a little needling. Haven't been doing it long enough yet to tell one way or another. Just trying different things to get a pattern that works.

yes, im pretty clear indeed - at least the scarred areas, those minor things are mainly on my nose/chin, nothing i want to treat with further oral medication...

did u ever take accutane, dave? what big procedures do mean? how would you describe your scarring?

i really hope we can get our skin to a level were satisfied with!

Yes, I was on the tane. Many years ago. I did laser and dermabrasion. Laser helped a little, but not a lot. Unfortunately most of my worst stuff happened right in the last year or so of having it. I mainly have one bad patch about the size of a quarter on one cheek. It's not unbearable, but it's certainly not great. I am now putting on CP Serum, 2x Cop, LacSal... using a microdermabrasion cloth, and doing medium peels. I might start doing needling, just to see what happens.

None of the stuff above is gonna work (including lasers). You have ice picks and what's gonna work is either TCA Cross (on the smaller ice picks) or punch grafting. Once you've filled the holes, then you can get some spot dermabrasion or CO2 (depending upon skin type).

Punch floating might also help in the larger, more weird shaped scars.

Other than that, don't waste your money !!

Edited by usacc

Yes, I was on the tane. Many years ago. I did laser and dermabrasion. Laser helped a little, but not a lot. Unfortunately most of my worst stuff happened right in the last year or so of having it. I mainly have one bad patch about the size of a quarter on one cheek. It's not unbearable, but it's certainly not great. I am now putting on CP Serum, 2x Cop, LacSal... using a microdermabrasion cloth, and doing medium peels. I might start doing needling, just to see what happens.

what laser did you have?

'one bad patch' sounds like a (rolling? boxcar?) scar from big cystic acne spot - have you considered little surgical procedures such as subcision, excision etc? or maybe fillers?

i dont like fillers tho bec im looking for a permanent solution (and i wouldnt want silicone in my face either)...

None of the stuff above is gonna work (including lasers). You have ice picks and what's gonna work is either TCA Cross (on the smaller ice picks) or punch grafting. Once you've filled the holes, then you can get some spot dermabrasion or CO2 (depending upon skin type).

Punch floating might also help in the larger, more weird shaped scars.

Other than that, don't waste your money !!

is there a certain depth/width necessary for punch grafts? i feel like those enlarge pore type scars (smaller ice picks) are to small - but i might be very wrong!

what laser did you have?

'one bad patch' sounds like a (rolling? boxcar?) scar from big cystic acne spot - have you considered little surgical procedures such as subcision, excision etc? or maybe fillers?

i dont like fillers tho bec im looking for a permanent solution (and i wouldnt want silicone in my face either)...

You know, it was so long ago, I don't even remember which kind it was. I've not thought about any big procedures, because frankly... I just don't care that much anymore. I care enough to try and do something on my own, but I just don't have the time to deal with some big procedure that leaves me looking like a lobster for three months. In a perfect world, and if I had nothing else going on, I might do it.

Honestly when I look at these pics, I see some very very mild scarring. I doubt anyone will ever notice them IRL.

Why would you take the risk to damage your skin further when it looks pretty good already?

I would kill for just a bunch of small icepicks. They might be deeper but most of the times they are barely noticable and look like big pores.

Ziko, thanks for your comment!

I know my scarring is anything but severe but this doesnt change the way i feel about it. Im sad and i really want to try to improve it but at the same time im afraid of possible damage as i find it hard to evaluate my personal risk given the fact that im a former accutane user, regularly taking steroid hormones (in order to keep my cystic acne in check) etc...

im gonna have my first microdermabrasion session on march15 and i think i will stick with that and chemical peels - until december.