Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amanda16

post accutane flushing, back for a low dose course

i wrote a post in the accutane forum, but i figured i would get more hits in here where it really belongs. so quick history: went on 40 mg accutane for 4 months last january-may of last year for resistant acne. my acne was not cysts or nodules, more just like little red bumps maybe a bit bigger than a pen tip. my acne went away during the course however it did return once i ended. my skin flushed the entire time while on accutane and still does now, especially when im waitressing in a hot restaurant.

sooooooooooo now here i am

i wanted to go on a low dose course, however my derm does not prescribe those or maintenance courses either. so she wrote me a script for 40 mgs again, but heres the thing I AM ONLY TAKING THEM TWICE A WEEK. has anybody had experience with taking 40 mg twice a week to control flushing? i have done a lot of research and people who took about 10 mgs a day were able to control flushing. because of financial reasons i need this one prescription to last me as long as possible, hence the higher dosage.

anybody have any thoughts/ experiences?

o yea i forgot to mention, although my skin did start breaking out again, it was not nearly as bad as before, some weeks its bad and some weeks its good. its very odd too because my skin is good before and during my period, once my period is finished thats when i start to break out

I like you, developed ridiculous flushing while on accutane and even continue to do so many months later.

Those tiny bumps you had, pin-like I think you said, were likely the early stages of Rosacea. Simple pustules and pastules, not really having a "defined" white head. Right?

I took 80 mg every day for about 5 months, which was way too high a dose. It led to more redness and flushing for me...as it likely has for you too.

If you can get on low dose accutane, I sincerely agree that you do. However, here in the US...they do not offer the low mg pills...like UK.

I would have to say it would not be wise to take accutane again, even in a low dose if your flushing/rosacea was caused by accutane.

For advice maybe get in touch with Lamarr1986 he has done a lot to combat this issue and is very knowledgable.

Good Luck Amanda

Edited by oli girl

On the contrary.

Ironically, accutane in a VERY low dose is the best way to treat accutane-induced rosacea.

A beast is a beast unto itself.

On the contrary.

Ironically, accutane in a VERY low dose is the best way to treat accutane-induced rosacea.

A beast is a beast unto itself.

what make you say that? anything to back this up?

i agree with tommy- there is so much information that low dose is GOOD for rosacea.. heres a link to just one of the many articles

http://rosacea-support.org/low-dose-accutane.

the only problem is that i can only take 40 mgs twice a week instead of 10 mgs a day. so since the half life of accutane is 21 hours im not sure if 40 mgs twice a week will have an impact :(

My point was if your Rosacea was caused by Accutane. In the link of the article you posted he orginally had Rosacea. For some it does help and for other makes thier rosacea worse.

However reading everything in the link the poster had been taking this for long term 5yrs and in an update he posted this 5 yrs later.

Rick decided to experiment and stop taking accutane this year. His ongoing dose was two 20mg tablets per week. His rosacea symptoms returned after 4 months. After again returning to taking accutane, the same dramatic effect he felt 5 years ago returned.

low dose long term treatment can have devasting effects on the bones and joints etc.....

But anyways, just my opinion....Good Luck

Not so fast. Hold it right there lol.

I know here in the US we can only do the 40 mg, so here is the answer! Yes Amanda, you were on the right track when you say that you should do 40 mg twice a week.

However, go ahead and get the isotretinoin in your system. Take 40 mg every other day for a whole week. Then the second week, knock it down to every two days. Third week, only twice a week.

That way the Accutane will be in your system, but you will renew its low dose abilities for many months.

You will not suffer any side effects aside from some slightly dry lips or sensitivity to sunlight.

Accutane rarely helps people with the form of rosacea where FLUSHING is the main concern.

Yes people take say 5mg per day for papular pustular rosacea with success. It rarely helps the flushing component of rosacea though, especially in the long run. (this is not good for your health long term either).

Some people who have papular pustular rosacea AND mild/moderate flushing may find all components of their disease improve but this isn't very common.

I am aware this guy posted that he had flushing etc and it improved. As Oli girl says, when you come off of tane, i almost garantee he will be worse of than how he began (given several months).

Accutane works like a steroid while your on it, reducing the activity of the immune system (amungst many other things). But as with steroids, when you come off you will often be in a worse position than when you began.

Google 'lamarr rosacea forum' and you will see i have read pretty much all there is to read on rosacea, especially regarding accutane (that isn't mean't to come across big headed) i Just want you to realise i'm not talking out of my ass here.

You may have read a few articles on it's use for roacea, but have you read all the feedback from these people in the long run or in people using accutane for accutane induced flushing? I doubt it.

You have ACCUTANE induced rosacea. Taking MORE accutane will not help things.

Tommy you sound like i did 5 years ago kid.

Edited by lamarr1986

Lamarr,

I've respected your opinion on this board and with your posts, but I have to say, "Back off."

Accutane in such a low dose acts as a submicrobial form (in a way) because it will not offer the drastic side effects that 40 or 80 mg per day causes.

Imagine it this way.

Amanda's accutane course this time around would be around 500 mgs total for many months, whereas a normal course would be almost 8 to 10,000 mg.

You do the math.

Ok bro, i will leave it for the both of you to have a 'go' at this low dose tane course. I promise you though it will not work out the way you expect it to...

Put it this way, if you had an allergic reaction to something, would you then knowingly go and expose yourself (no matter how small the amount) to the same drug/food/pathogen?

Think about it....

Good luck tho!!

Edited by lamarr1986

Put it this way, if you had an allergic reaction to something, would you then knowingly go and expose yourself (no matter how small the amount) to the same drug/food/pathogen?

lamarr i totally respect what you're saying so i guess this is just going to be a trial for me, but still,

just throwing it out there.....a low dose accutane course could be seen as the same idea as vaccines,

I like you, developed ridiculous flushing while on accutane and even continue to do so many months later.

Those tiny bumps you had, pin-like I think you said, were likely the early stages of Rosacea. Simple pustules and pastules, not really having a "defined" white head. Right?

I took 80 mg every day for about 5 months, which was way too high a dose. It led to more redness and flushing for me...as it likely has for you too.

If you can get on low dose accutane, I sincerely agree that you do. However, here in the US...they do not offer the low mg pills...like UK.

Hey m8!

Did the flushing go away after those months?

Hi all

I was on isotretinoin (Isotane here in NZ, Accutane overseas) for years. 10mg capsules, 3 a day for about 4 months then horrible side effects of flushing so dropped to 2 capsules then eventually 1x 10mg a week for two years. POST getting off this medication I have felt the worst in my life- probably worse than when i had severe acne. I now have perm pinkish skin (like sunburn but it isn't), still flush randomly, have to avoid exercise, warm rooms, hide indoors during summer!! It is nearlly month 2 off the medication and now 2 different Derms say i have rosacea. WTF? I told them it's surely induced by the isotretinoin, but they disagree. The emergency doc i saw a month ago (major hot day- couldn't control the burning hot flushing) gave me antihistamines to combat the drug and they are helping somewhat! but my 2x Derms refuse to believe it and advised I go back on low-dose isotane. No way. I think my skin is so sensitive and fragile now that it's struggling to cope as my body weans off the stuff. Emergency doc said likely my skin is just SO photosensitive that even normal temp days affecting me in the way of rosacea like symptons. Who to believe? so not sure... all i know as i'm carrying on with antihistamines for now.