Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flatron

UK people - Accutane Procedure??

Hey.

I am hopefully beginning accutane soon. Nothing has worked and ive had cystic acne for 10 years.

Anyway, im confused about the order of events.

I went to Hospital today and was weighed. They then gave me a slip to get a blood test done tomorrow, and another letter for an appointment at the hospital for Some time in April?

Is that appointment in April when i am supposed to get given the accutane?

Or am I supposed to start the accutane before then, and the appointment is a checkup and stuff?? Nothing is made clear :[

The receptionist who gave me a new appointment for April after I was weighed kept saying ''dont worry that the appointments a little late, the drug still stays in your blood for a while''

Im not sure what she means. To me that implies that she meant that i would start taking the drug BEFORE the new appointment..??...

If I am supposed to start the drugs before the appointment, how do I actually get my hands on the accutane? Will they send me a letter after the blood test?? Am I supposed to call someone?

Im all confused, lol. Not as simple as I hoped it would be. Other UK users shed some light for me?

thanks

Hey.

I am hopefully beginning accutane soon. Nothing has worked and ive had cystic acne for 10 years.

Anyway, im confused about the order of events.

I went to Hospital today and was weighed. They then gave me a slip to get a blood test done tomorrow, and another letter for an appointment at the hospital for Some time in April?

Is that appointment in April when i am supposed to get given the accutane?

Or am I supposed to start the accutane before then, and the appointment is a checkup and stuff?? Nothing is made clear :[

The receptionist who gave me a new appointment for April after I was weighed kept saying ''dont worry that the appointments a little late, the drug still stays in your blood for a while''

Im not sure what she means. To me that implies that she meant that i would start taking the drug BEFORE the new appointment..??...

If I am supposed to start the drugs before the appointment, how do I actually get my hands on the accutane? Will they send me a letter after the blood test?? Am I supposed to call someone?

Im all confused, lol. Not as simple as I hoped it would be. Other UK users shed some light for me?

thanks

nobody here from the UK who have done accutane??

Edited by flatron

your supposed to pick up the accutane from the pharmacy as soon as you get prescribed by your derm (which you have been because you've done bloods). You then go home with your isotretinoin (accutance) and call back the hospital in a few hours to get your blood results then you begin taking the drug.

The other appointment she gave you was for your monthly check up. The receptionists was talking about if you run out of drugs a day or two before your review where you will be given your repeat prescription.

My (UK) process was:

1. Doctor referred me to derm (hospital)

2. (2 week gap)

3. Derm. appointment:

Accutane suggested and accepted

Derm. took weight and prescribed 0.5mg isotretinion /kg bodyweight

Checkup appointment booked

Blood sample taken

Got the prescription filled at the hospital

4. Derm. 2nd appointment:

General questions on how i was coping / side effects

Derm. increased dose to 1.0mg / kg bodyweight

Checkup appointment booked

Blood sample taken

Got the prescription filled at the hospital

thanks for replying guys.

I had my blood test done today. (I couldn't have it done yesterdy when i was supposed to (after being weighed and stuff) because I had had a cup of tea that morning, and they told me that i needed to be totally fasted for 14 hours)

Im confuesd though. I haven't been given a 'prescription' or anything form the consultant lady at the hospital. All i had was my 'blood slip' (which I gave to the lady today to get my blood taken), and an 'appointment letter' for April..?.....

Maybe they contact me once they've checked my blood to make sure i can take it or something?