Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grind

Calcium give me the low down

Basically, I have not touched any dairy products as I got the jist here that calcium is a no-go. the antibiotics tips always say, avoid taking anything with calcium in.

Now this new protein shake I’ve been taking in the morning and at night, contains 200mg of calcium per serving (each serving has 25g protein). I have 2 servings per sitting (50g of protein) total (thus 400mg of calcium). So that is a total of 800mg of calcium per day

Thus far, past 4 days I’ve not seen any negative effects on my skin… but perhaps when I have to switch from amoxicillin antibiotic (taking due to my chest infection), which is 2x 500mg caps per day – so 1000mg of amoxicillin, and get back on the doxy (ie tomorrow), which is 100mg… 900mg less than what my body has inside at the mo of antibiotics in general

Do you think the calcium might to start to have an impact?

I don’t quite understand the in’s and outs as the information online is varied.

Anyone recommend any protein power products I can get which are calcium free? I can pick it up in march when I’m back in the UK

Thanks as always, for your great advice.

Every cell in your body uses Calcium especially your heart. You cant synthesize it from other compounds. It is not a good idea to exclude it from your diet...

well my point is that these foods dont break me out or most people.

So what im suggesting is the calcium in proteins and supplements is from dairy so calcium isnt the problem, dairy is

There is plenty of calcium in a vegan diet if you eat a wide variety of vegetables. I believe a new study found that only 300mg of Calcium are needed per day to maintain healthy bones. This is easily obtainable in a vegan diet.

It's recommended that those on certain antibiotics avoid dairy (maybe because of the calcium) within 2 hours before and 2 hours after a meal. It decreases the absorption of the antibiotics. As long as you don't eat anything with calcium within this timeframe, I think you'll be alright.

Canned salmon has plenty of calcium and O3. Most canned salmon is also wild.

Edited by venam

^ Yeah the recommended daily values in the US definitely overestimate the amount of calcium we need in a day. Oftentimes vitamin D and magnesium, which help with calcium absorption are overlooked. There's a study which showed that about 2/3 of people with osteoporosis don't get enough vitamin D (less than 400iu a day).

nice replies guys thanks

It's recommended that those on certain antibiotics avoid dairy (maybe because of the calcium) within 2 hours before and 2 hours after a meal. It decreases the absorption of the antibiotics. As long as you don't eat anything with calcium within this timeframe, I think you'll be alright.

Amoxicillin gave me crohn's disease, do not take it.

if you do have to take it, eat alot of whole barley and Wheat this will support the bacterial populations so that the antibiotics will not make them extinct in your gut.

Clostrdium difficile(another form of colitis or intestinal barrier breach) is known to be caused my antibiotics already, its just a matter of time before they solidify the ability of amoxicillin as a major risk factor for developing crohn's, studies have already been done to prove a major link, Amoxicillin can lower the butyric acid bacteria to levels so low, they no longer even exist inside your gut, butyric acid is needed to fuel the colonic cells and have a thick intestinal barrier, when the intestinal barrier has become so thin, material starts entering the blood stream, then granuloma cells form to block anything from coming through, ive studied this for 8 hours a day a for a year now and know as much as most scientists.

You need your calcium most definitly, take calcium citrate chewables, its the growth hormones in the dairy products that we need to stay away from, not the calcium.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

i only just bought it and it cost me a fortune (3 or 4 times the price as on amazon). i wont have a chance to get another protein until about 25th of march when im back in the uk. this will have to do for the next month. if it has an effect, like i start getting spots etc, then i'll naturally stop taking it. lets see what happens. i will get isolate next time

whats the difference btw?

its ok i found it

I�m really confused about all the different types of proteins. Can you tell me what is the difference between whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate?

Before I explain the difference between the two types of whey, you first need to understand something very important: Much of the information being provided about protein comes from companies that sell supplements. The next time you read an article about protein supplements, keep in mind who is writing the article. Don�t be surprised if you get a sales pitch at the end of the article with an 800-number for easy ordering.

If a bodybuilder ever recommends a particular brand of protein, or makes outrageous claims like, "I gained 15 pounds of solid muscle just by switching to brand X protein", check to see if they have an endorsement contract. I have to laugh when I read that a bodybuilding champion claims to have built their physique by eating 50-80% of their calories in the form of protein powder, while they have a contract with the company that makes it. If anybody is really gung-ho about a particular type of protein, look for the bias � it�s almost always there.

That being said, it�s true that whey is definitely a great source of protein. Whey has a high biological value (BV). A high BV means that the amino acid ratio is excellent for building muscle and that a large proportion of the protein consumed is absorbed and utilized by the body. In addition, numerous studies from reputable researchers have shown that whey has immune-system enhancing benefits.

Whey is a dairy protein that is a by-product of the cheese making process. In its raw state, whey contains substantial amounts of fat and lactose (milk sugar). You wouldn�t want to eat raw whey. That�s why it is filtered and processed: to remove most of the lactose and fat. If you�ve ever heard of microfiltration or "ion exchange," those are simply methods of separating the fat and lactose from the protein. The end result is a more concentrated protein � either concentrate or isolate (which is what you want).

The primary difference between isolate and concentrate is that the isolate is more pure. In other words, isolate contains more protein with less fat and lactose per serving. Based on whose figures you go by, whey isolate usually contains between 90-94% protein while whey concentrate has a protein ratio of 70-85%.

If you are lactose intolerant and you have problems with gas and bloating, then the isolate might be a better choice. But being more "pure" doesn�t necessarily mean tht whey isolate is better or will produce greater muscle growth. Whey protein concentrate is still an excellent source of protein. Besides, isolate does have disadvantages: For one, it is more expensive than concentrate. Isolate has also had some of the valuable immune-boosting protein subfractions such as alpha lactoglobulins and lactoferrins removed in the filtering process.

In the long run, I don�t think it makes much difference whether you use concentrate or isolate. Nutrition companies will surely bicker back and forth forever over whose protein powder is the best, but choosing your protein isn�t something you should lose sleep over.

I'm not really certain why you thought CALCIUM was an acne culprit as opposed to the antibiotics and hormones in the dairy? I don't think I've read anything of such nature on here.

If you need a calcium, you can get some of it from leafy greens, like kale, spinach or broccoli. I think there's even calcium in almonds. If citrus doesn't bother you as it does some people, you may be able to invest in some calcium fortified orange juice. (love the stuff) Getting nutrients from food sources always makes more sense to me than supplements in most instances. Oh, and I've heard that eggshells contain calcium, too. You may be able to ground up eggshells, mix it with water or sprinkle it over food to get calcium. Just remember, if you opt for a supplement, calcium needs magnesium and vitamin D to be absorbed more efficiently. Leafy greens contain these as well.

If you're taking those antibiotics, just be aware you may be harming your health in the long run. A lot of people can develop candida from antibiotic usage because you'll be killing off the good bacteria in your gut. If it was a necessary thing that you had to do, then I'd suggesting popping some serious probiotics to replenish what the antibiotics destroyed. I'm not sure how wheat and barley would help, but it may, I guess. (wheat and barley still contain gluten, which can be a no-no for SOME acne sufferers) I still suggest a probiotic.

And just so you know, whey is a dairy product, so yes, there's a pretty good chance it contains those hormones that cause acne. You may want to try almond milk instead. It doesn't have as many calories, but it has lots of protein depending on how much almonds you use. Depending on how well your body and skin handles fruit, you may be able to mix in some bananas for extra calories and nutrition.