Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hesitation

Planning a longer fast

Fasting has such a good effect on me. My skin stops breaking out IMMEDIATELY and my nasal congestion stops when I do a one day fast.

I'd like to turn it up a notch and do a one week to a month fast. I am a bit worries about my body mass. I have worked hard to make my body look the way it looks, I have very low body fat, all I have is my muscles :D. How much muscle mass would I lose on a 7 day fast? It should be easy to get it back after I'm done with fasting, right?

Hesitation, if you experience all of those effects during a fast, that leads me to believe that you are probably allergic/intolerant to something within your diet. Have you tried going dairy-free for a few weeks and gluten-free for a few weeks?

When you mention nasal congestion, do you have a lot of mucus on a regular basis?

Hesitation, if you experience all of those effects during a fast, that leads me to believe that you are probably allergic/intolerant to something within your diet. Have you tried going dairy-free for a few weeks and gluten-free for a few weeks?

When you mention nasal congestion, do you have a lot of mucus on a regular basis?

A lot of mucus? I have TONS of mucus and it's killing me. I've been having those bad sinus problems for over 7 years. I feel like it's connected to my acne problem. Mucus is produced as a result of the body's immune system reaction to something (allergen?).

As for my diet. I haven't had dairy, sugar, grains for almost a year (candida diet). Either I am allergic to everything or the food is not causing it in the first place. Basically I only eat veggies and fish. I had the same problems when I did not fish and ate tons of chicken instead (gotta get the protein from somewhere).

I usually get a lot of odorless (I think, or I just can't smell it because of my sinus problems lol) gas after eating a meal. That is definitely a symptom. Digestive problems? I also had some stomach pain for a few seconds if that's something. Or it might have been because I hadn't eaten for 48 hours.

Hmm, protein can cause mucus. Especially if your body isn't digesting it correctly.

Have you tried taking HCl (hydrochloric acid) w/ protein meals?

Edited by Dotty1

I forgot to add that I suspect protein too. It's the only thing I haven't cut out totally. I'm planning on getting HCL soon to test it out.

If you're in a good shape as you say you are, then a week's worth of fasting will do you fine without any worries. I too eat right, exercise, and try to stay in great shape: mentally, physically, and spiritually. You'll end up looking like you're on a third-world diet at the end of a 7+ days fast, but you will gain all your muscles back better than ever. If you've never gone outside a day's worth of fasting than 7 days will probably out of your reach for now. Good luck tho. :)

Good for you - I admire a 7 day fast that takes a lot of willpower!

Just be careful with what your doing. This makes me cringe saying this but I tried cutting foods out and fasting to improve acne which led me to develop a (hate to say it) Eating disorder - I would explain it better that I had disordered eating rather than a ED if that makes sense. I'd do a week liquid fast or something strange and then binge for 2 weeks on crap which lead to purging :sick: not only did my skin go crazy but I would be gaining and losing weight at a crazy speed - I don't think my metabolism will ever be the same again.

Your probally a lot more stronger mentally than me and I have a obsessive ddictive personality but reading your thread title made my alarm bells ring.

Look after yourself

Hannah x

don't go on a 7 day fast your end up with more problems in the long run IMO. such as thyroid and adrenal imbalances. under eating weakens the immune system and might lower body temp/mess up your metabolism. under eating made me weak/low body weight. fasting once a week might be beneficial. you have to find another way to reduce allergy/mucus symptoms. it wont be easy to gain back you'll have to overeat.

your body will consume your muscles. its either that your eating something your sensitive too or you body has digestion problems and when you fast they clear up b/c you don't have to digest. the best way to heal digestion problems is to overeat carbs proteins and fats.

have your blood tests shown any problems?

don't go on a 7 day fast your end up with more problems in the long run IMO. such as thyroid and adrenal imbalances. under eating weakens the immune system and might lower body temp/mess up your metabolism. under eating made me weak/low body weight. fasting once a week might be beneficial. you have to find another way to reduce allergy/mucus symptoms. it wont be easy to gain back you'll have to overeat.

your body will consume your muscles. its either that your eating something your sensitive too or you body has digestion problems and when you fast they clear up b/c you don't have to digest. the best way to heal digestion problems is to overeat carbs proteins and fats.

have your blood tests shown any problems?

My blood tests showed high creatinine, TSH (thyroid) and ASO (Antistreptolysin O). The last one was highly out of whack. It indicates some kind of bacterial in my blood or inflammation, I can't remember - it's bad. Paid no big attention to TSH and creatinine. I'll get some more tests done soon to see if the numbers are any different.

I thought it was easy to gain everything back and that fasting was considered healthy...

I have feeling I'm going to be losing a lot when I do it. I usually get super hungry on my one day fasts. Hungry means your losing mass.

Edited by hesitation

Do you supplement creatine? If not, high levels are creatinine in your blood is a sign of renal failure.

On fasting, there is literally no good reason or benefits in depriving your body of nutrition for that long. You aren't getting rid of "toxins" (wtf is toxin anyways), you aren't cleaning your intestines, nada. All you are doing is putting yourself in a state of starvation and are going to lose lean body mass at a hastened rate.

You say you are "all muscle". Have you ever been dexa tested? Are you a bodybuilder? I ask because fasting is counterproductive to literally any weightlifting or fitness goals you might have.

No, I don't supplement creatine or anything else for body building. I do have fitness goals but my face is way more important.

Renal failure isn't very likely, I don't have blood in my urine nor most of the other symptoms.