Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does anybody order grass fed meat online in Canada? I'm looking for something similar to US Wellness where you can add items to your shopping cart and have your order delivered to your house.

All I've found so far are obscure websites that tell you to call them for prices and deliver to drop off points that are too far from my place.

I have only read good things about this farm: http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/

Hi everybody,

I'd like to introduce myself to fellow paleo-people. Hello :) I'm Karna, 33 years old woman from Denmark. I really enjoy this site and learn a lot!!

I have been reading lots of stuff here and on Mark's Daily Apple and have slowly been adjusting my diet.

In general I have increased my intake of organic vegetables, fruits, nuts, fish and meat which i really enjoy a lot! I have alson done some more specific changes:

No sugar - I have reduced sugar from my diet in about 2 months. I still eat e.g. mayonaisse where there has been added sugar - even to the nice organic stuff. Ughh!

No white bread, white rice, pasta etc. for about 2 months.

No dairy: I reduced my dairy intake for about 1 month. Don't eat youghurt, but still have milk in my coffee. Have not eaten cheese for 2 weeks.

Flaxseed: I eat 1 table spoon of flax seed oil (for about 3 weeks)

No grains: For the past 1 week I have been adjusting more to the paleo style and have cut out grains and increased my fat intake.

I like to slowly adjust - seems as if it is easier for me to manage than changing everything upside down.

My skin has changed. My face is glowing and no new pimples, only once a month..My back is ok, but not clear.

But my neck and upper shoulders look horrible. Lots of new cystic acne. It was not here before!! I can not figure out what the reason may be. Can it be the flax seed? I noticed an over all positive change when I started eating flax seed. My skin glows, is soft and feels moisturized.

Have you experienced your acne has been "moving" around when changing your diet?

After doing some experiments I believe it was the flax seed causing the new cystic acne. I stopped flax seed and acne decreased. I tried eating it again and had a flare up. I have not eaten it for 10 days and all inflammation is gone...I don't understand why - it was supposed to be so healthy - but not for me I guess.

In general I find the changes in my diet difficult to handle but I am improving everyday and finding new routines. I have decided not to consider the economic issuess for one whole month - in order to be able to learn in freedom witout restrictions. This seems to calm my mind so that I can make more sustainable choices. Next month I can start looking into finding cheaper alternatives etc.

One routine I enjoy a lot is that every wednesday I get 1 box of organic vegetables (several kilos), 2 boxes of fresh fish (600 g. each) 1 box of organic meat (1200 g.) delivered to my front door :) It's amazing and very exiting to open the boxes with all these wonderful, fresh whole foods!

At the moment I am eating 75% paleo (and take vitamin B complex, fish oil, zink and multivitamins for 15 days/month) My skin is now 95 % clear. Only a few minor buds here and there. If I learn not to scratch no one would even notice!

Thanks for sharing your experiences here - it's very motivational and inspiring - I learn a lot from all of your posts!

Edited by karna

No I guess you are right! Just checked the reviews on flax seed oil and many people seem to experience a flare up in cystic acne when eating the oil.

It isn't much paleo-like either. What crazy caveman would have taken the time to collect thousands of flax seeds and then mash them and eat them all - it even tastes strange! I should have been able to tell by this simple logic!

It's the D-vitamin itself causing problems with my digestion also. It has gone worse gradually and a week ago I took 30000 IU dose and since that my digestion doesn't tolerate pretty much anything again.

I had some lingonberries, and today and yesterday I had similar diarrhea like with beer. They also came trough undigested. Even the color was the same red as when I ate them...

The week ago was the last time I took the D-vit supplements and now I'm going to kick them for some months at least. When I get back it will be max 1000 IU per day. It has caused enough harm already.

There is so much hype around with the D-vitamin and most sources tell that for example 10000 IU per day is completely safe but my experiences tell that it's far from safe.

These figures aren't accurate but for instance you could eat a handful of walnuts on every salad or for a snack since they are pretty high in omega 3

Not all omega-3 fatty acids are equal. The vegetable ALA is poorly converted to DHA and EPA so it's far from good source to get omega3 really.

Thanks, I didn't realize you only got ALA from vegetable fatty acids.

dancedd: Yeah, I only use coconut oil/fat (I get that cheap stuff in the supermarket that's hard, so it's not actually oil but it's supposed to be just as good). If I had to compromise I would go for the olive oil too which has happened before but I really hate the taste and I don't trust any other industrial oils than coconut and possibly palm oil. There's also stuff like sesame oil, walnut oil, etc out there, no idea about those but they should all be pretty OK I guess?

Any opinions on bacon with 95% pig + salt + TWO E NUMBERS (conservatives and shit)? Do I wanna eat this stuff? It's so cheap (let's not discuss the horrors of the animal industry now though). Will it cause breakouts you think? I'm not worried about the salt really but those e numbers scare me...

Naturalis, check out Dan's latest blog entry! Hahaha!

Anybody here experience breakouts from eating chicken with skin intact from legs & thighs?

I usually remove the skin because I wasn't sure if this would introduce an inflammatory response. However, I ate it the past few times and now wondering if I read a study a while ago about chicken skin and its effects on acne.

Would it be overkill if I started a paleo food thread? For people to focus on posting what they're eating and such, recipes they want to try, etc.

Anybody here experience breakouts from eating chicken with skin intact from legs & thighs?

I usually remove the skin because I wasn't sure if this would introduce an inflammatory response. However, I ate it the past few times and now wondering if I read a study a while ago about chicken skin and its effects on acne.

The skin is where a lot of the fat is, so it all depends on whether fat generally bothers you or not. I don't have a problem with it. :)

Guys I need some advice. I have a buddy who wants to get clear as well, but I know the dude won't go full paleo. What would be the most important food to cut out? I'm guessing refined sugar? And then maybe dairy or grains? Or should he start by just cutting out shit like crisps, french fries, etc? Going low GL maybe? I mean I cleared up from paleo but I just cut it all out right from the beginning so I don't know exactly what causes acne in me unfortunately, but I'm guessing all of it! Ha.

Thanks people!

Edited by dirtbomb

Guys I need some advice. I have a buddy who wants to get clear as well, but I know the dude won't go full paleo. What would be the most important food to cut out? I'm guessing refined sugar? And then maybe dairy or grains? Or should he start by just cutting out shit like crisps, french fries, etc? Going low GL maybe? I mean I cleared up from paleo but I just cut it all out right from the beginning so I don't know exactly what causes acne in me unfortunately, but I'm guessing all of it! Ha.

Thanks people!

I think cutting refined sugar would be the most important! Coz this will eliminate alot of foods that has other crap in it that is not good for u:)

Naturalis so in your opinion a normal/low dose of vitamin D is safe? I guess I could use some myself in that case although I don't like supps!

Edited by dirtbomb

Thanks. I get at least 1 hour of sun directly in my face every day, generally several hours of it though. I'm also living in Scandinavia.

Guys, what would be a good Paleo lunch that I can start taking to lunch everyday for school. Is there anything besides just a salad?

Also I'm having surgery soon and will be in the hospital for a week, should I just eat the crappy hospital food or is another way to stay Paleo.

Do you guys ever get an oily film on your urine? It's been weeks that I've had this since halfway into starting Paleo and it hasn't stopped. I drink a lot of water. Could it be that I am eating too little carbs / or total daily calories?

Eminem, here's a a bunch of pictures of paleo lunches.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/contest-res...mal-lunch-pics/

This one might be inspiring as a take-away...

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/M...A2009/EdnaH.jpg

No idea about the hospital unfortunately. Cheating on the paleo diet is actually okay and I did it a lot, but of course if you want quick progress then you might wanna avoid it. But if you can't do that and actually have to eat the hospital food, just do it and don't worry about it. Stress causes acne if anything. If the hospitals are the same where you live as in my country then you'll get meat, fish, vegetables, fruit... maybe you can just throw away those potatoes when no doctor is watching! Or just tell them you're allergic to gluten or something, at least that means no wheat.

Edited by dirtbomb

Now that I have been on paleo over a month I can clearly see results: I haven't got any pimples on my face after the week I started the diet and my bacne, which I have never treated, has improved significantly.

Although brown rice isn't paleo I might try to add it to my diet in order to see if it causes me acne or not. I assume that it's better alternative than potatoes that used to be the basis of my meals.

After all, I decided not to add rice to my diet since I was getting so good results. However, at the beginning of this week I faced my first major setback. I got one big cyst on my back and about four smaller pimples on my face.

I have been wondering what caused my breakout since I have been almost 100% paleo except I have drunk coffee (without milk or sugar). I have eaten about 250 g of macadamia nuts every day though so could it have had negative impact on my Omega 3/Omega 6 ratio? In addition, I remember that when Dan was experimenting this same diet he broke out as soon as he wasn't losing weight anymore. That could be the reason for me too. :confused:

EDIT: Some have reported that coffee has been aggravated their acne so what would be a good paleo friendly alternative for it? Is green tea, for example, as good booster as coffee being paleo friendly at the same time?

Edited by mies

Your breakout could also be just random and unrelated to diet.
It may be the case but I have been trying to convince myself that acne can be cured completely by paleolithic diet. The studies made in Papua New Guinea also support this point of view.

There should propably be a new section in the reviews for paleo diet so that it would be easier for us to get a clearer picture how this diet has worked for individuals.