Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The only way I see diet affecting acne is if your intolerant to a certain food, a friend of mine was allergic to wheat and was developing moderate acne. The stomach aches finaly convinced him to check it out, ever since he cut it out he has cleared up. Now, those of us who don't have a problem with wheat shouldn't see it causing acne.

The only way I see diet affecting acne is if your intolerant to a certain food, a friend of mine was allergic to wheat and was developing moderate acne. The stomach aches finaly convinced him to check it out, ever since he cut it out he has cleared up. Now, those of us who don't have a problem with wheat shouldn't see it causing acne.

I don't have an allergy to wheat, dairy, refined sugar or soy yet these things all break me out.

It's not just about intolerance. It's about hormones, inflammation, blood sugar and so on (these things are typically interconnected)

dee, fruit is definitely ALLOWED on the paleo diet and my guess is 95% of everyone who eats this diet also has fruit every now and then -- I eat fruit on a daily basis myself.

karna, thanks.

Wetyuringo, I'm sorry but your theory simply doesn't hold.

Edited by dirtbomb

Of course the Paleo Diet allows fruit!! In fact, the actual, original Paleo Diet didn't even make any specifications for macronutrient ratios... i.e. Paleo does not have to be low-carb necessarily. It's more about the source and quality of foods, and avoiding gluten, lectins, anti-nutrient compounds such as found in grains, legumes, dairy (esp. grain-fed dairy).

However like all foods, it's important to acknowledge that what is available to us in grocery stores isn't necessarily concordant with what any humans have been eating for millions of years. This obviously applies to things like twinkies and ho-hos, but also the cultivated modern varieties of fruit are very high in sugar, and in no way reflect wild fruit.

This concept is basically a guiding principle for me, and is all too often overlooked. When people rant and rave about "I can't eat anything, everything causes acne blah blah etc" they fail to acknowledge that the foods they are mentioning are greatly discordant to what we are used to. Can you have some apple and be fine? Of course. Can you eat two grapefruit-sized apples and expect everything to be dandy? Probably not...

Of course the Paleo Diet allows fruit!! In fact, the actual, original Paleo Diet didn't even make any specifications for macronutrient ratios... i.e. Paleo does not have to be low-carb necessarily. It's more about the source and quality of foods, and avoiding gluten, lectins, anti-nutrient compounds such as found in grains, legumes, dairy (esp. grain-fed dairy).

However like all foods, it's important to acknowledge that what is available to us in grocery stores isn't necessarily concordant with what any humans have been eating for millions of years. This obviously applies to things like twinkies and ho-hos, but also the cultivated modern varieties of fruit are very high in sugar, and in no way reflect wild fruit.

This concept is basically a guiding principle for me, and is all too often overlooked. When people rant and rave about "I can't eat anything, everything causes acne blah blah etc" they fail to acknowledge that the foods they are mentioning are greatly discordant to what we are used to. Can you have some apple and be fine? Of course. Can you eat two grapefruit-sized apples and expect everything to be dandy? Probably not...

I partially agree with you. Even though I follow a lower-carb version of paleo it is purely because I have noticed it clears me up faster.

The actual studies that have been done in paleo follow Cordain's rendition of paleo, higher in fruit, lean meats, and lower in fat. They have had amazing results. Today there's no evidence to show that doing lower carb will be better in the context of a paleo diet. But again, this is just what I have noticed works best for acne. I will reintroduce fruits and tubers once I am back to normal, but will probably still keep carbs lower than 30%.

As for wild fruits and sugar: it seems like a plausible hypotheses but like any hypotheses we need some supporting evidence in order to accept it. The evidence seems to be that wild fruits are not that different, read this:

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/03/pale...ar-in-wild.html

Edited by venam

I wonder how many people have had success with the paleo diet because of the resulting calorie restriction?

Are people happy with the ethical implications of eating more animal flesh for their own benefits. Should we make suffer and take the lives of other beings just to try and clear our skin. Maybe we have just become too self obessed.

The health benefits of eating other animals are not that great, if there are any, and dont justify the pain and suffering by any stretch of the imagination. You can live a pefectly suffient life on a vegetarian diet.

Saying that i will be giving it a go and if it works i will have a bit of an ethical quandary on my hands.

I have absolutely no idea on my calorie intake, I don't believe it's important for me, all I know is I eat a tonne of veg, lot of meat and fish and I'm full of energy..

To be honest, I've never sat down and thought about the ethics of eating meat, I like it so I eat it, course it may be a different story if we all personally had to go around chopping up animals for our own meals.

To be honest, I've never sat down and thought about the ethics of eating meat, I like it so I eat it, course it may be a different story if we all personally had to go around chopping up animals for our own meals.

Chopping up your own animals that you either hunted or raised properly is far more ethical than eating these horrific, inhumane, unhealthy factory farmed animals.

Edited by alternativista

But my neck and upper shoulders look horrible. Lots of new cystic acne. It was not here before!! I can not figure out what the reason may be. Can it be the flax seed? I noticed an over all positive change when I started eating flax seed. My skin glows, is soft and feels moisturized.

Try methodically avoiding anything you recently increased and this new acne started. and yes it can be the flax seeds. They are estrogenic which makes many people worse. And there's a lengthy thread when flax was the biggest fad with many people jumping on the bandwagon. Initially, it helped many people, but then they began acne that they hadn't had before.

Better than most shit on the market I guess but they still have that nasty vegetable oil in them. I would almost rather eat some corn chips with palm oil and salt only I think.

Now that I have been on paleo over a month I can clearly see results: I haven't got any pimples on my face after the week I started the diet and my bacne, which I have never treated, has improved significantly.

Although brown rice isn't paleo I might try to add it to my diet in order to see if it causes me acne or not. I assume that it's better alternative than potatoes that used to be the basis of my meals.

Now that I have been on paleo over a month I can clearly see results: I haven't got any pimples on my face after the week I started the diet and my bacne, which I have never treated, has improved significantly.

Although brown rice isn't paleo I might try to add it to my diet in order to see if it causes me acne or not. I assume that it's better alternative than potatoes that used to be the basis of my meals.

Personally, I'd carry on and get my skin as completely clear as possible before introducing new foods. But, I'm only saying that with the knowledge that I've been tested as having an intolerance to rice, if you see no new acne, then go for it.

Just wondering how often you guys go number two? I used to be an everyday guy, but now it seems every few days since eating paleo.

Anyway, I'll soon be coming up 28 days eating paleo soon and I'm probably going to stop following the diet fully when I reach that point. I plan to start eating oats for breakfast and rye bread for sandwiches and toast. Probably no more than 4-5 slices a day to start with. Also I'll be reintroducing beans and potatoes, but no more than twice a week at most. Pasta and white rice I'm doing away with completely.

Although 28 days isn't really long enough to see good results, I feel my weight is dropping too low and with college starting up soon, I don't think it'll be possible to be 100% paleo in that environment. My redmarks have improved a little I guess and I haven't had any new breakouts bar a tiny blackhead, which is probably to do with my moisturiser. Seeing as I was previously on accutane though, there's no real way of telling what has ended any possible breakouts.

In terms of energy and mental health though, I feel pretty damn great. I was used to sleeping until noon and going to bed at 2am or something. Now it's bed at midnight, rise at 7:30. This is part of the reason I want to stay 60% paleo. The health benefits are great.

Where can i find grass fed meat? I live in New York and their are no local farms even close. Would stores like shoprite or A&P sell it or do I have to order it online?

Can you have some apple and be fine? Of course. Can you eat two grapefruit-sized apples and expect everything to be dandy? Probably not...

I remember you mentioning in other threads that you been very clear for a long time. so I am wondering how many servings of fruits do you eat per day based on the above statement about two big apples?

I wonder how many people have had success with the paleo diet because of the resulting calorie restriction?

Do low carb diets work because they work as calorie restricitng diets.

I know if it works who cares why, just wondering.

There are component parts all required to make acne of which hormones are key. Maybe most these diets just work because they result in less calories which results in less hormones.

Are people happy with the ethical implications of eating more animal flesh for their own benefits. Should we make suffer and take the lives of other beings just to try and clear our skin. Maybe we have just become too self obessed.

The health benefits of eating other animals are not that great, if there are any, and dont justify the pain and suffering by any stretch of the imagination. You can live a pefectly suffient life on a vegetarian diet.

Saying that i will be giving it a go and if it works i will have a bit of an ethical quandary on my hands.

I eat a calorie excess every single day to make sure I am anabolic, even so through (almost) a paleo diet my skin is still clearing up, I just need to make sure I dont let my diet get too messy or spots return! Also, people always refer to low calories with low carb diets, why? A high fat diet is more likely to result in a calorie excess because people are pretty bad at keeping track of what they eat. Remember, a gram of fat is 9 calories, carbs and proteins are only 4.

Hormones aren't changed MASSIVELY by diet, it only takes a tiny inbalance to trigger things and eating more or less I dont think makes much difference, its more the quality of the food your eating.

Eggs are not dairy. They are allowed. I recommend organic eggs from birds who have been eating from the ground outside and not just grains. They are healthier.

Edited by dirtbomb

Where can i find grass fed meat? I live in New York and their are no local farms even close. Would stores like shoprite or A&P sell it or do I have to order it online?

You could try looking here to be sure: EatWild.com

If not you can order online from most of those places. Idk what shoprite or A&P are but the only store here (MA) that sells grass fed is Whole Foods, that I've seen anyway.

Where in NY? I know Fairway carries it. It's called obe beef. And I know of a Whole Foods that has it..Trader Joes as well perhaps? Definitely not A&P and stuff, though.