Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theGreyhound

Possible to become allergic to tea tree oil?

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question...

If I am using it at pure concentration, or even more reasonable and diluted concentrations, is it possible for my body to develop an allergy to tea tree oil? I use it for spot treatment, I occasionally put a drop into my shampoo to keep my scalp and hair clean and healthy, etc. etc... which over time is a lot of tea tree oil coming into contact with my body!

I am not showing any signs of an allergy, and I know it's all-natural which is good. But I'm just worried because it seems like a miracle cure and I'm scared that one day it's going to suddenly cause rashes and irritation :(

Is that possible?

Edited by andrewharv

I would think that if you've shown no sign of an allergy whilst using it so far, then it may be alright, but if you are worried it is as well to keep it diluted, be careful and monitor it.

I love tea tree oil, I use it on my face and my hair and find it really fantastic, never had any bad reaction to it.

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question...

If I am using it at pure concentration, or even more reasonable and diluted concentrations, is it possible for my body to develop an allergy to tea tree oil? I use it for spot treatment, I occasionally put a drop into my shampoo to keep my scalp and hair clean and healthy, etc. etc... which over time is a lot of tea tree oil coming into contact with my body!

I am not showing any signs of an allergy, and I know it's all-natural which is good. But I'm just worried because it seems like a miracle cure and I'm scared that one day it's going to suddenly cause rashes and irritation :(

Is that possible?

Yes, that's possible, but not likely. Since you've been using it for a while without side effects, you're probably fine. Like Aghaigh Dearg (impossible to pronounce) said: just monitor it.

I did. I used to use tea tree oil undiluted as a spot treatment and also used it diluted in my shampoo and cleanser, and eventually I started developing itchy, blotchy rashes that would pop up at random on my face every now and then. Since I've stopped using TTO, the rashes have disappeared. However, my skin is SUPER sensitive, so YMMV. You'll probably be fine. :D