Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
garkee83

Diet....iodine triggers acne? Dan...what u wan is here..

Don't eat that you'll get zits! We've all heard it; from parents, friends or even the family doctor. But the fact is, even after extensive study, scientists have not found a connection between diet and acne. Not chocolate. Not french fries. Not pizza.

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, A healthy diet is important for improving raw materials for healthy skin, but they also note that greasy or sugary foods do not cause acne.1 Likewise, a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association concurred, ;Diet plays no role in acne treatment in most patients;even large amounts of certain foods have not clinically exacerbated acne. Of course, that doesnt mean you should make a habit of eating foods high in sugar or fat. The skin is the bodys largest organ, so whats good for the rest of you will be good for your skin, too.

Nutrients for healthy skin. There are a number of nutrients found in everyday foods that are known to promote a healthy body and therefore healthy skin. Get wise to these substances, and you;ll increase your chances of conquering your acne.

Vitamin A. Naturally occurring Vitamin A, or retinol, is found in fish oils, liver and dairy products. The Vitamin A produced by plants is known as Beta-carotene, and is found in yellow/orange fruits and vegetable such as carrots, yams, apricots and cantaloupe, as well as green vegetables like parsley, kale and spinach. Extremely high doses of Vitamin A are toxic, so don't overdo it.

Vitamin B-2. Stress has been known to aggravate existing cases of acne, and Vitamin B-2 is often helpful alleviating stress. Foods with a high concentration of B-2 include whole grains, fish, milk, eggs, meat and leafy green vegetables.

Vitamin B-3. Found in peanuts, eggs, avocados, liver and lean meats, Vitamin B-3 improves circulation, promoting healthy skin. It also reduces the cholesterol level in the blood and helps you metabolize protein, sugar & fat increasing your energy through proper utilization of food.

Vitamin E. Vitamin E is found in almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, broccoli, wheat germ and vegetable oils. A powerful antioxidant, it protects your cells against the effects of free radicals, which are potentially damaging by-products of the bodys metabolism.

Zinc. Even in trace amounts, the antioxidant zinc is known to boost the immune system, improving overall health which of course is reflected in the skin. Zinc can be found in eggs, whole grains, nuts and mushrooms.

Know your own triggers. Since acne is different for everyone, there may be certain foods that cause flare-ups in your skin. Clearly, these foods should be avoided. You may also want to check your vitamin supplements for their iodine content; while normal amounts of iodine have not been shown to affect skin, amounts greater than the RDA of 150 mcg may aggravate your acne.

Overall, use your common sense. Drink lots of water and eat a healthy, balanced diet but don;t be afraid to indulge your cravings every now and then.

1 Woods La-Voie P, The ABCs of skincare for kids,Better Nutrition, No. 9, Vol. 63, p. 32.

link:http://www.acne.com/p_diet.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner...

By Barbara Strickland, Certified Para-Medical Esthetician

In case you don't have enough to worry about, some of your favorite fodder may exacerbate your acne! A stealthy culprit may be lurking in your food and medications...Iodides.

Excessive, long-term ingestion of Iodide (also known as Iodine) whether from drugs or food can cause ACNE. Once Iodide enters the body and mixes into the bloodstream zits start appearing with regularity. If there is Iodide present in the blood, the body excretes the excess Iodide through the oil glands of the skin. As the Iodide is excreted, it irritates the pores and causes acne flare-ups. If you are acne-prone, your pores are especially sensitive to Iodide.

"Ha! but I'm not acne-prone!" Well, thank your parents for the great genetics, but you're not out of the woods. Iodide can even cause normally clear skin to break out too, when ingested in large amounts. This is true if you have the recessive acne gene as well. This does not mean that you should remove all traces of Iodine from your diet, since a big goiter might cancel out any "good feelings" you were having about your clear skin. Everything in moderation...

It is interesting to note that Iodide is showing up in very unexpected foods, like bread (wheat products,) meat, and dairy products. Farmers feed their livestock nutrients with Iodine in them and it is passed on to you, the consumer. Vitamins, mineral pills, and food supplements are some of the biggest offending sources of Iodides. Vitamin and mineral companies also love to include Kelp, Seaweed, Algae, etc. in their vitamins and minerals and for the acne prone this is the kiss of ZITS! Be sure to read the labels before purchasing and shop for a brand that does not contain high levels of Iodide.

Some swimming pool disinfectants contain Iodides and Chlorine, which can remain in the water, causing skin problems for frequent swimmers. Many swimmers find that the combination of hot and humid weather, the physical exercise of swimming and the chlorinated pools, can cause major acne flare-ups.

© Barbara Strickland 1998-2000. This information is published and may not be reprinted.

link:http://www.sageskincare.com/Articles/article8.htm

Great, I go out and buy a Men's formula multi-vitamin, and now I see it contains exactly 150 mcg of IODINE! Am I in trouble? I eat quite a bit of seaweed also BTW. I never thought this could be the cause!

One thing I noticed in that article is at first they write:

"Diet plays no role in acne treatment in most patients".

Well, how do you know what kind of patient one is? Am I a part of 'most', or not? How do I know? Well, I hope to find out this week as I am eliminating most foods from my diet. I will still be eating a little seaweed, combined with the vitamin with iodine which worries me. AARRGGHH!!

Well, I have the best feeling about what i'm doing than ANY other stupid creme or anti-biotic that I have taken. I'm making a little log in the regimen log section so I can keep it for my own reference mainly....but i'm just eating good (which people view differently) and taking supplements. But you have to take the right supplements and enough of it to make any difference. I'm going to be purchasing some in the next couple days (prolly today) then i'll post it up on my log everything i'm doing.

:D But think about it, the kidney, bowels, lungs, liver, and skin are responsible for excreting toxins from the body. We have these toxins in the first place from the traditional AMERICAN DIET! Along with cleansing my internals i'm going to be taking sups to relax hormones too. So that is why a lot of teens have acne......not only are hormones out of wack but they also have had 10, 14, or sometimes more of years where toxins have been building up inside our bodies and then it's so stressful on our organs that we get acne. Like me......i've had a little test done and my kidney, bowels, skin, liver, and lungs were all working overtime....it tested red, meaning that they are burdined with a lot....a lot of TOXINS. Getting my body back (rather the first time) into the groove of living a HEALTHY lifestyle. Cheers

-Shawn-