Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have tried many diets in the past, but recently started an all natural, unprocessed, uncooked raw vegan diet. I stopped using harmful topicals (Bp, Differin, sodium sulfacetamide, etc.) I now use organic products.

I eat fruit and vegetables, oils and nuts and seeds. I drink nothing but water and juices of fruits and vegetables that I juice.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a raw food diet relating to acne.. any personal experiences with this kind of diet?

The reasons the raw diet worked for me is because it is complicated:

It worked because it is very low protein. ANY Protein makes me break out because I have "Leaky Gut Syndrome" (aka intestinal permeability) and the unbroken down protein is absorbed into my blood stream where they go on to cause infections.

The raw food diet also worked because I have weak stomach acid.

Both of the above two problems are caused by gluten intolerance. So a raw food diet works even better because there is no gluten in it and I can let the other two conditions heal.

Raw food diets might work for some people because it is dairy-free and gluten-free which are two very common triggers.

I know Fran Kerr from HighOnHealth.Org had great results with the raw diet.

I've Been Raw Vegan For 30 Days

I'm not going to try it though. I've just cut out greasy fast foods, chocolate, sweets and stuff and I drink only water and fruit juices. Seems to be working so far and my body feels healthier. Works for me :)

Edited by alackofcolor

The reasons the raw diet worked for me is because it is complicated:

It worked because it is very low protein. ANY Protein makes me break out because I have "Leaky Gut Syndrome" (aka intestinal permeability) and the unbroken down protein is absorbed into my blood stream where they go on to cause infections.

The raw food diet also worked because I have weak stomach acid.

Both of the above two problems are caused by gluten intolerance. So a raw food diet works even better because there is no gluten in it and I can let the other two conditions heal.

Raw food diets might work for some people because it is dairy-free and gluten-free which are two very common triggers.

Makes sense. I believe the raw food diet can cure many problems, considering everything you consume is left in its natural, healing state.

I have only been doing this for a week and I feel better.

& I have been watching Fran Kern's 30 Days Raw, it inspired me even more to get into raw foodism (:

A mostly raw food diet has kept me clear for over a month and a half now - (until I tried Virastop and had unfavorable results)

I don't do 80-10-10, nor am I purely a raw vegan. I've actually read a few things that greatly deterred me from these methods. I also don't buy organic, unless I'm at a store with a self-check out line and the regular produce didn't look so hot. :ninja:

I don't eat 100% raw because it's inconvenient, I'd get bored, meat is an excellent source of protein, fat and calories, and some vitamins and minerals aren't able to be absorbed unless the food (specifically veggies) are cooked.

Raw is a great way to clear your skin because it addresses overall health. Drinking a quart of green smoothie daily, in a study, has shown to boost stomach acid and aid digestion. Eating lots of raw fruits and veggies will help regulate your digestive system in general and provide you with hefty amounts of nutrients, provided you eat them in balance (don't eat tons of fruit but little greens). For the most part, they're easy on the gut and are less likely to hurt you if you have leaky gut. It boosts your immune system which will help heal your skin.

But like I said, you still need balance and you don't have to go raw vegan to benefit from eating a highly raw diet.

If you like super tasty gourmet foods, there are plenty of recipes to keep you satisfied - though they typically require some preparation and time. I'm lazy and have gotten pretty used to just eating foods mostly whole. I tried the whole gourmet thing and frankly, I hate spending a long time in the kitchen preparing raw gourmet food.

Give it a shot. If, in April, I am still clear (which will be 3 months of eating this way) I plan on starting a nice little post about it, but I want to make sure it isn't a fluke or that I'm just getting lucky.

I tried a 75% raw diet and at the same time avoided gluten, and it helped a LOT.

The only problem is - I don't think I was getting enough calories (the only raw food I can eat are fruits/veggies because nuts break me out).

So because I wasn't getting enough calories, I had cravings, and sometimes had trouble sleeping.

I've reintroduced more cooked food into my diet (still gluten free, and still about 50% raw) like beans and brown rice, but I think my skin is getting worse.

I just don't know if the side effects were worth the clear skin I was having.

I tried a 75% raw diet and at the same time avoided gluten, and it helped a LOT.

The only problem is - I don't think I was getting enough calories (the only raw food I can eat are fruits/veggies because nuts break me out).

So because I wasn't getting enough calories, I had cravings, and sometimes had trouble sleeping.

I've reintroduced more cooked food into my diet (still gluten free, and still about 50% raw) like beans and brown rice, but I think my skin is getting worse.

Are you vegetarian? You can't eat meat? If you are going to add anything to a raw diet let it be meat.

As a question, I don't understand what it means to be on a '80%" raw diet. Is that by calories? By meals? By volume? I am asking because for me, even though I am on a paleo diet and consume over a pound of meat/fish/etc a day, I do consume plenty of raw greens and some fruits. Just trying to calculate my "rawness."

Are you vegetarian? You can't eat meat? If you are going to add anything to a raw diet let it be meat.

As a question, I don't understand what it means to be on a '80%" raw diet. Is that by calories? By meals? By volume? I am asking because for me, even though I am on a paleo diet and consume over a pound of meat/fish/etc a day, I do consume plenty of raw greens and some fruits. Just trying to calculate my "rawness."

Raw percentage, like 80% raw, basically means 80% everyday of what you eat is raw. You could have 50% of your calories come from meat, but still be 80% raw, if that makes sense.

Lara, how much do you weigh and how active are you? It's completely possible to get enough calories on an 80% raw diet. As venam already said, add meat. A skinless grilled or baked chicken/turkey breast at dinner can really boost your calories. Eat avocados as well. They're pretty high in calories and monounsaturated fat. You may also try adding in quinoa instead of brown rice. Quinoa is not a grain, it's a seed, so you may fare better than eating the rice. And maybe I just have a small stomach, but a salad with about 3-4 cups of spinach topped with things like cucumbers, tomatoes and drizzled slightly with olive oil pretty much fills me up.

How many greens are you eating? I know when I started eating more greens, as in green smoothies, my cravings pretty much plummeted. Tonight, for example, my mom was eating a chocolate ice cream layer cake - with 2 layers of cake, 2 layers of chocolate ice cream and topped with the ice cream shell stuff and chocolate shreds. My dad was devouring a HUGE banana nut muffin from Sam's Club. When I walked in and saw these things - I'd normally drool, but it didn't phase me at all. However, a few days ago at my boyfriend's house (where I can't eat as many greens) I had more cravings for food.

I'm only 105 lbs, but I always have been, I have not lost weight on the diet. I don't work out.

I have one green smoothie a day that contains about 3 cups of greens. Perhaps it should be a little more? I read somewhere that you should have a liter of green smoothie a day, the one I make is about 16 oz I think.

Thanks for the feedback, I might give the meat/avocado thing a try...

Venam - yes 80% raw means by volume/meals. But just so you know- when people say "80/10/10" they are refering to the amount of calories, and it means 80% of the calories from carbs, 10% from fat and 10% from protein.

I'm only 105 lbs, but I always have been, I have not lost weight on the diet. I don't work out.

I have one green smoothie a day that contains about 3 cups of greens. Perhaps it should be a little more? I read somewhere that you should have a liter of green smoothie a day, the one I make is about 16 oz I think.

Thanks for the feedback, I might give the meat/avocado thing a try...

Venam - yes 80% raw means by volume/meals. But just so you know- when people say "80/10/10" they are refering to the amount of calories, and it means 80% of the calories from carbs, 10% from fat and 10% from protein.

I would ask ABC_Fairy regarding to green smoothies. She's an expert when it comes to that. :P

Meat/avocados is great! I usually eat chicken breast with salads,extra-virgin olive oil and avocados on top of it.

I eat avocados everyday... ha ha

80/10/10 sounds bad.... protein is actually good for you.. in particular if you work out.

I don't know my ratio but I think I eat about 300g carbs, 250g protein, and about 100g-110g fats.

I lift weight so I need high protein and carbs because I am skinny.

Despite the carbs intake, I have good-looking skin. I am trying to eat a lot of vegetable to give me beautiful skin. :P

Edited by EddieE