Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong..I want to give up but I can't, I won't..My diet is so clean..I take omega3 fish oils and Vitex and important vitamins for skin, like A & E. My acne has gotten much better. But it still. won't. stop. I've had acne for so many years -tears up- and I can't get it to stop..every little breakout is a psychological break down..I asked my mom for a social worker..when I break down I get extremely extremely depressed. And the only thing keeping me from doing something stupid is the promise I made to my best friend that I wouldn't..It hurts so bad. Even when I'm not going through a break down I'm never happy. The most I feel is apathy. Anyone, please, any suggestions..what could I be doing wrong? Are my hormones still messed up? My skin gets too oily. Looking in the mirror or feeling my oily skin makes my heart sink. But I can't give up..I don't know what to do, what could be causing my acne..I'm only 17, no major food allergies although sugar seeme to break me out the worst. I don't know how I could make my diet now any more clean..what else is there?

Sometimes what so little that is left in you is all that you need to gather yourself back up.

I know it is hard, but hold on to that will no matter what because gradually it will amount to greater strength. :comfort:

I think you are on the right track with diet.....perhaps you can stay off the sugar for a while and continue to eliminate your triggers to see if that will help with your oily skin.

I know avoiding inflammatory foods definitely helped me out with that.

Good luck...... ;)

And don't give up on yourself because we sure haven't!

I definitely understand how you're feeling, but hang in there! This isn't the end of the road for you. It's just the climb to an amazing view.

Eliminating sugar and dairy helped me a lot, but if it comes down to it, you should consider asking your derm about taking accutane or an antibiotic.

"Good things fall apart so that greater things can fall together."

Edited by HereComesTheSun:)

I'm no psychiatrist but if you say you never feel happy even when your not broken out then could there be some other underlying issue? What did your mum say when you asked to see someone?

Can you get a doctors appointment? I don't know where your from but I'm from the UK and was offered help from a consellor by my gp for free when I was 16 so you might want to take advantage of help available while your under 18 and can get it free.

I used to blame how I felt on acne, something would happen and I know I'd be able to cope with it if I had good skin but the fact I didn't made everything else seem 10 times worse. My dad died of cancer coming up to two years ago and while he was ill and right up to the point he died I was more concerned about my acne - how selfish is that! I was in my own little acne world where that was the important thing. After my dad died; a few months later my acne completely cleared and suddenly I actually started grieving for him, it was like he had only just died.I felt such huge guilt that I hadn't done it before and that for the last two years of his life I had been a complete stranger- self harming and depressed hidden in my room rarely talking to anyone. I regret that so much because I'll never get that time back!

My point is that going by what you say I can imagine u getting clear and still feeling shit or maybe you'll find something else to obsess over like I do when my skin is clearer.

I'm sorry I've babbled on about my problems - I think I needed to get that out.

If I was you I see my doc and ask for something for my acne; even ifs its only a temporary soultion it might give you some motivation and let you focus. I'd stick with your fantastic healthy eating!! Then I would seek someemotional help either through your doc or even just talking to your mum :)

Please don't be offended and believe me when I say this they are not for everyone but I found antidepressents to be my saviour. I'm off them now but they helped me so much. Again they might not be for you and if you can sort your feelngs out another way then thats great. :)

Please let me know how your get on.

Hannah x

I don't eat any milk products, sweets, processed foods, anything man made. I'm 100% for natural healing. I know the cure lays internally, naturally, so I say no to Accutane..the side effects aren't worth it.

@Jellybeans:

That's actually an interesting point that my best friend (that I tell everything) pointed out. That maybe I take my skin so hard because there's a deeper problem. But there are so many theories that can branch off of that..Maybe it's true. Or maybe I don't get happy when I'm not having a bad skin day by means of trying to protect myself. By that I mean, because I know it's not there to stay, letting myself get happy over it would leave me for a harder fall when I break out the next week or so later..So, I truly won't know until I can keep clear, normal skin. I see a dermatologist, but topicals don't cure acne, and that's all they offer. Antibiotics are bad in the long run..so my mom is going to look or a naturopathic doctor.

I dont think it's as bad as you think. A best friend that you tell everything too? - Thats rare, I used to have a friend and we hung every-day at college then he got a girlfriend and we havn't seen eachother in months, having good friends is so rare.

Yes. She is my other half..we share everything, and we'd never leave each other. I know it. She makes me extremely lucky..We've been best friends since Freshmen year, we're Juniors now. We're going to live together throughout college, go to the same college, same career area so we can stay together which isn't hard because are interests and personalities are almost identical..

My acne isn't that bad. It's a lot better than it used to be. But I've been trying to get clear for so long that at this point, every break out is proof that I'm still failing and it really hurts. I've come so far, I'm not going to take this, I'm not going to accept being this way and I won't give up till I'm clear for good. But it doesn't stop the feeling that I really want to.

imagine that friend getting a boyfriend and you being totally put on the backburner, we were the same career field too, totally same aspirations..havn't spoke in months.

:boohoo::boohoo:

I don't eat any milk products, sweets, processed foods, anything man made. I'm 100% for natural healing. I know the cure lays internally, naturally, so I say no to Accutane..the side effects aren't worth it.

No wonder you're so miserable.

Take the accutane and get clear, that's what i'm doing. Fuck the side affects, don't be a pussy.

Yes. She is my other half..we share everything, and we'd never leave each other. I know it. She makes me extremely lucky..We've been best friends since Freshmen year, we're Juniors now. We're going to live together throughout college, go to the same college, same career area so we can stay together which isn't hard because are interests and personalities are almost identical..

IMHO without meaning to offend I think thats unhealthy

I totally understand where you're coming from. Like you, I get ridiculously upset when I breakout, even though the pimples I get now are not nearly as bad as they used to be. The pimples are milder but the pain is the same. If you've tried changing your diet to no avail, maybe that isn't your trigger. I also agree with your idea of trying to get to the root of the problem rather than do all those topicals and antibiotics. (Although sometimes I get so depressed and desperate I feel willing to give them a go.) Have you considered birth control pills. I know it isn't a cure, nor is it holistic but it could stabilise your hormones and most women go on them anyways. What ever you decide, stay strong in the path that you've chosen and know that you are not alone in this. A lot of us out there feel just like you. Thats why we get on these boards and let those emotions out. Anything worth having takes time (in our case a long long time).

Thank you Pooki :3 Diet has helped me a lot but not completely. It's helped me more than anything else I've ever tried. There are still so many things to try and we all know how this whole journey is just frustrating trial and error..I've only been on this diet for about 2 month now, so maybe I just need to wait a bit longer, who knows maybe my liver is gaining strength now and just needs more time. Also I started taking Vitex for my hormones about a month ago and I hear it's supposed to take about 3-6 months to kick in, so I'm also waiting for that. I haven't considered birth control much because other than the fact it's unnatural, many people break out really bad as soon as they stop using it :/. As for oil control I've heard niacin helped a lot of people so I'll give that a shot..

"when you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on"

What the hell kind of advice is that?!!

Hey dude try apple cider vinegar. It helps a lot. Steam your face with it, mix apple cider vinegar with water and put a towel over your head and try to bare for at least 10 minutes. It helps soo much. The steam helps the vinegar really get into your skin and when your done wash with cold water or hop into the shower. I like the shower because it reduces inflammation and makes my skin feel all smooth. And its all natural so you'll be following your creed. :) good luck man, i really respect your approach, I went veggie for a month and my god did it help my skin! but I'm from a traditional family who is meat pro so it was hard. And my mom is a great cook XD