Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Using other topicals with a retinoid

I'm using Aczone and would like to add Renova .02% to my regimen. Should I apply the Renova, wait a bit, then apply the Aczone and moisturize? Or should the Aczone go on first? It seems like the retinoid should go on first to help the other med penetrate better but I dunno if it works that way. :blink:

I'd suggest doing the Aczone in the morning and the Renova at night.
Because of possible irritation? The Aczone says use 2x a day.

I'm just always wary about mixing medications like that, even if they are just topicals. You should definitely talk to your prescribing doctor though so they can help you clear up when to take what.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the effects of layering, as well, especially with something as new as Aczone. I don't wanna be a guinea pig! :shock: I'll try to get a hold of my derm and see what she says.

I've been using Aczone and Tazorac together for about a month and have not experienced any significant irritation. I use them both before bed. I asked my dermatologist which to put on first, and she said to put the Aczone on first. I really doubt it makes a big difference, but you should definitely ask your doctor how to apply them. Just make sure you wait a little bit before putting one on after the other. I apply Aczone and then put on a moisturizer followed by Tazorac. I haven't had any problems. As far as mixing the compounds together, she looked in a PDR and couldn't find anything warning against using them in tandem. Hope this helps!

Edited by pete21